"You can have just one!"

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't really mind any of it much, but probably "How much did you lose" which seems overly personal (no, I'm not telling you how much I weighed--I typically just say "lots" but some people keep pressing for details). It used to bug me when people would ask "how did you lose the weight"--I'd typically say "the usual, exercise, eat less," but increasingly I'm realizing that the people who are pushiest about this question usually are interested in losing too, which has made me more tolerant and willing to talk about it in more detail.
    I've noticed that, too. I can easily switch a conversation from the topics of My Body and What I Did (am doing) to Diet Tips with most women.

The ones who want to swing back to What I Did are almost always obese. They really want to know. Then I'll go more into it. (Not that I think I'll be the tremendous help they seek, but they have their reasons for asking and it's no sweat off my brow, KWIM?)

People always ask how much you've lost and what you weighed. If you said, "Tell me what YOU weigh," they'd be put off...but asking us is hunky dory. I've come to decide that they're bad at math and don't realize what they're asking, lol. :)
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have some more that I have heard in the last week. Please allow me to get them off my chest:

"You can't keep your face and figure after 50 you know!" (Thanks for that one)

"Careful, you might get "gaunt" (really, when I have cheeks like a hamster?)

"You were never fat in the first place" (I was obese actually)

"You looked fine as you were" (I'm not doing it for vanity but for health)

I liked you better chubby and jolly. (eh?)

Where have your boobs gone? (How rude)

I like big curvy women like you were (well, you carry 194lb about at 5'7 then)

Careful, you'll put it back on like they all do (Well gee thanks)

When are you going to stop? (Why do you care...)

Ahh, that's better! :smiley:
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    " you need to stop, you look sick" at 5'11" and 170lbs
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if someone asks me once, "are you sure?" or "Just one?" I'm Italian, I get it, we always want to make sure someone isnt hungry. But it gets annoying when I'm pushed beyond the normal because I can feel my willpower weakening and I have to stop and envision what I want for myself and try to understand where the other person is coming from. Luckily, I've been very good around here at work considering the holiday and retirement parties. I've "splurged" by trying a small portion of something once or twice (nothing off limits unless extremely processed). People are always amazed when I do that, or turn it down completely.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    " you need to stop, you look sick" at 5'11" and 170lbs

That is utterly ridiculous. You look great. The thing is, in some places, people are used to people being fat - the average size of a young woman walking around the shops near me is about 200lb. If everyone looks like that, they think it's normal.
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    I have had the following
    "How much have you lost?"
    "You are fading away". Um no I am not! and lastly my favourite
    " you have made a great start but still have a long way to go"
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    gonwolf wrote: »
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I read these types of threads and just shake my head. I do not have one single person around me that is a food pusher. I will not tolerate it and I think I give off a vibe that says as much.

I'm low carb and my DH doesn't have a clue what that means. He thinks I miss bread and chips and will always say, "You can have just one.". Yes, I can. I'm fully capable of doing so, but clearly you do not understand how keto affects the body. I just smile and nod. It's never going to change.

Keto is my new love <3

We could probably start a whole new thread on the stupid stuff people say when they find out we're doing keto, eh? :smiley:

Like the ever-classic "OMG, you're going to have a heart attack eating like that!" (though the jaw-through-the-floor look of disbelief when you respond with the fact that your cholesterol numbers improved drastically after starting almost makes up for it)

My absolute favourite that I could wet myself laughing over is "you're going to get fat eating like that" best thing is it's usually said after someone asks me about the 100+lbs I've lost.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "Damn, girl. How much did you weigh before?"
    Kind of a slam to the ego when you can tell they're thinking 'you've lost 111 lbs and you're still big'

I had someone say "omigod, you've lost 300 pounds!" Well, no, I was still pretty far from 300 total at my heaviest, but nice to know I appeared even heavier! To be fair, this didn't actually bother me in that I know it just came out wrong and the person meant it in a positive way, but I thought it was pretty funny.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    Ugh. Food Pushers, the worst!
  • DaniellaB1995
    DaniellaB1995 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    "How can you eat mcdonalds and be so skinny?!"

I eat mcdonalds maybe 4 times a year? even if it didn't fit my calories that's not often enough to do harm haha
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I've come to decide that they're bad at math and don't realize what they're asking, lol.

Heh, that's a good approach.

Back when I lost weight the one other time I did I was working with this older man on one project (working with in a kind of adversarial way, not at the same company), and he would not stop talking about how much better I looked and would announce to others stuff like "Ms. cat is in fighting trim!" It kind of creeped me out, so when he asked what I'd done I insisted it was all due to kickboxing.

My other favorite this time was our company's regular cleaning person who asked me what I'd done and I said my usual and she said "no, not a regular diet!" and then later asked me if I'd had surgery. The next time I saw her, though, she started talking about how she wants to lose weight and asking for more specifics.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I don't give a flying fig what anyone says or thinks about what I'm doing. We all make our own choices. I know what I need to do and where I want to be. If someone thinks it's too thin or too muscular or whatever, that's his/her problem.

What people say/think has more to do with them than me. Some people aren't comfortable with someone losing weight because it makes them feel bad about themselves. Or they have a hard time dealing with the thought that someone is more active or dedicated. I told this one coworker that I wanted to have a body similar to a figure model (in the "offseason", lol; not depleted and in competition mode) and she said "oh please, do you know how hard they work to get those bodies"? Uh, no... I thought they just ate broccoli and woke up that way. Like she couldn't fathom that 1) I knew about what their nutrition and workouts entailed or 2) I could actually dedicate myself to something like that. I just shook off her comments or, better yet, used it as motivation for my fitness goals.

My 47 years on this earth have shown me that people open their mouths and say stuff and don't remember or realize the impact of their statements 5 mins later. But meanwhile, the target of their comments is obsessing or stressing out about it for days/years. No thanks.
  • RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Someone I know is obsessed with what they eat. They misplace their guilt onto other people all the time. Eating around them is becoming an uncomfortable experience that I've started dreading.
    If I've allowed for a small bag of baked corn crisps (less than 100 calories) I get comments like "oh that's healthy...NOT!" or "I thought you were on a diet? I guess that's over then"
    As they proceed to guiltily and secretly eat 4 servings of cake.
  • RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my favourite "Where's that chocolate you bought? Eaten it all already, have you?"
    Just because that's something you do, doesn't mean I do the same, damnit!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I HATE it when people tease me about what I eat, especially if they know I was losing weight.
    "Issa, watch out! That's got like a zillion calories!"
    "Are you sure you're gonna eat that?"
    "You're too skinny already, it's getting ugly."
    "Can you eat more for once?"
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    'Just one won't matter' this is what I got this morning when I was discussing about biscuits last night (I had already had two which were within my allowance). I was discussing weight loss with my dad but it falls on deaf ears. One biscuit for me could make me jack it all in, I'm very strict with myself and I've lost 70lbs and managed to keep it off for over 5 years now I'm just wanting to lose a bit more. I hate it! Some people just don't seem to understand!!!!
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I've been a picky eater all my life, so no one really notices that I've just cut down my portions and things like that. Though my mother drives me crazy. My step-father is overweight (talking at least a hundred pounds) and has been told by his doctor he needs to start losing some of it to take the stress off his already arthritic joints. Rather than helping, when I suggest smaller portions (because I know I can't get him to stop eating high-calorie things) she says things like "That's not nearly enough for him."

Sigh.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I read these types of threads and just shake my head. I do not have one single person around me that is a food pusher. I will not tolerate it and I think I give off a vibe that says as much.

Yeah, I don't either. Not to that extent at least.

My pet peeve is more "you're getting too skinny". And here is what pisses me off the most-when a person who is the same height as me, but still 15-20 pounds lighter, says I'm getting too thin. One time I responded with "So, how tall are you? How much do you weigh? Okay...so I'm not allowed to be as thin as you?"

• Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "well that is fine I guess but I want to ENJOY my life."
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Leenda62 wrote: »
    "well that is fine I guess but I want to ENJOY my life."

Oh god. Punch in the face.