What to Wear.....when running.

Options
Hello Everyone. I have recently got into running this past month after finally finding the proper tennis shoes for me. However, I live in North East Ohio where the weather is nuts, and super cold this time of the year. Today its about 18 degree's and around 2 degree's with the wind chill. I was curious if any of you run outside when its this cold? If so what do you wear, when you run and the temps are low? I know there are a lot of things out there I could buy at sporting goods stores, but they are pricy some of them and I'm not looking to spend a lot unless its truly worth it. So I'd love to hear what you have in your closet! :smile:

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You can get running tights at Target that are cold weather gear - cheaper than the UnderArmour brand and the ones from Target actually stay up.

A hat or headband plus gloves

A jacket - either full zip or half zip.

Baselayers- there are different levels by UA. Craft has good ones but those are spendy.

I overheat easily. I'm in Maine and last night for my run in 18F, I wore tights from Target, a UA coldgear jacket, a tech t-shirt, and a headband that I had to remove since I got too warm.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I run outside all winter...and I am just across the border from you in PA. The key to winter running is layers... I suggest dri-fit layers or merino wool... stay clear of cotton... I also have some good running tights, merino wool socks... you can usually pick up decent stuff from places like WalMart and Gabriel Brothers without spending a fortune... but I have to say, the the stuff that works best for me is the stuff I bought at a local running store. A little pricey, but so worth it in terms on staying warm...
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have continued running outside (I'm in Ohio too) but today is too cold for me. I wear tights (I have Nike, Old Navy, and Under Armour), a tank top, a long sleeved base layer shirt, and a hoodie. Also, I wear Under Armour outdoor wool socks, a hat and gloves. Slather vaseline on your lips and nose too, if you snot like I do. You don't have to spend a ton; in fact, I got some good stuff at TJ Maxx.

If you're really serious about snow running, get some Yaktrax.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I get cold easily and usually stay cold. I found some cold weather gear by "Aeroline" at my local Dunham's sporting goods store for $15 a piece on sale. I think they normally run $25, but I couldn't afford the UA stuff. They have held up well and keep me warm during the cold when I layer. I typically have the long sleeve shirt then my Xersion (Jc Penney's) workout jacket which is fleece on the inside and thin but keeps me super warm. I wear yoga shorts to prevent chaffing, then my Aeroline tights, and yoga pants or sweat pants. Longer socks instead of the typical no-shows that I wear, gloves, and a headband. This usually works for me and I hate being in the cold air.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    You can get running tights at Target that are cold weather gear - cheaper than the UnderArmour brand and the ones from Target actually stay up.

Baselayers- there are different levels by UA. Craft has good ones but those are spendy.

I overheat easily. I'm in Maine and last night for my run in 18F, I wore tights from Target, a UA coldgear jacket, a tech t-shirt, and a headband that I had to remove since I got too warm.
    PS- you're an enabler- I have new tights from Old Navy (30-40% off actually).

They are warm- and fabulous.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

You're welcome Jo!

I love the ON tights as well, I prefer them and my Target ones to my UA and Gap ones. They stay up, quality is great, I can buy the ON ones long enough for me online lol
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaand all Old Navy Active is on sale today. BRB, going broke.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm in WV... Ran this morning it was 20F with some wind... Compression tank, long sleeved wicking T-shirt, Medium weight running jacket, UA tights, socks, head band/ear warmer thing, running glove (with fleece nose wipe) and a ball cap. I was fine until I had to walk at the end while sweaty and such... Gastro issues suck on a run...
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Aaaaaand all Old Navy Active is on sale today. BRB, going broke.

Ugh, must avoid their site today!

ON Active stuff is good - tights and capris at least lol

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    To me, running tights with wind-blocking panels in the thighs are worth the $$$.

Yesterday's run was 20F, wind chill around 10: wind-blocking tights (New Balance), short-sleeve wicking T-shirt (Target), arm warmers (soccer socks with the toes chopped off), lightweight jacket, fleece hat (Target), hand warmers taped to my socks, fleece mittens (Manzella). That combo takes me from 0F up to 30-35, where I'll switch to capri tights and a headband. Below zero I put on a balaclava (facemask), thicker jacket, and reevaluate my life.

Overall, Target and Meijer have pretty darn good--and durable--athletic apparel lines (Meijer is cheaper but more limited in selection). Honestly, right now Target has almost everything you'd need for winter running, including multiple weights of jacket and good socks.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hello Everyone. I have recently got into running this past month after finally finding the proper tennis shoes for me. However, I live in North East Ohio where the weather is nuts, and super cold this time of the year. Today its about 18 degree's and around 2 degree's with the wind chill. I was curious if any of you run outside when its this cold? If so what do you wear, when you run and the temps are low? I know there are a lot of things out there I could buy at sporting goods stores, but they are pricy some of them and I'm not looking to spend a lot unless its truly worth it. So I'd love to hear what you have in your closet! :smile:

Run in tennis shoes? Why?
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

I have a habit of a calling all form of shoes with laces tennis shoes lol.
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information. Very Helpful.
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    To me, running tights with wind-blocking panels in the thighs are worth the $$$.

Yesterday's run was 20F, wind chill around 10: wind-blocking tights (New Balance), short-sleeve wicking T-shirt (Target), arm warmers (soccer socks with the toes chopped off), lightweight jacket, fleece hat (Target), hand warmers taped to my socks, fleece mittens (Manzella). That combo takes me from 0F up to 30-35, where I'll switch to capri tights and a headband. Below zero I put on a balaclava (facemask), thicker jacket, and reevaluate my life.

Overall, Target and Meijer have pretty darn good--and durable--athletic apparel lines (Meijer is cheaper but more limited in selection). Honestly, right now Target has almost everything you'd need for winter running, including multiple weights of jacket and good socks.

I love target. I will check them out. Thanks!
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

:D:D:D
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'd like to add that it also depends on how long I am outside. I usually do a 5k in the morning before work as it is only about 30 minutes or less. A pair of sweats (I also use Old Navy as they are so cheap), a dry fit T-shirt, a Sweater, and then a LL Bean wind breaker is all I use and good for me to about 18-20F. And yes as someone else mentioned Vaseline for the lips and face and I also do eye drops to keep my eyes moist. When it is that cold and if I feel like doing more then it is indoors on a treadmill. BUT.... if the roadway is ice then all bets off as I am not slipping.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

You're welcome Jo!

I love the ON tights as well, I prefer them and my Target ones to my UA and Gap ones. They stay up, quality is great, I can buy the ON ones long enough for me online lol

me too.
    - I really like their capris pants- they have an extra seam on the outside- and a great waist band- they really DO stay up.

I'm a touch concerned about the ones I got last night- they have more of a fold over waist- I might have to make up my own draw string for them after a few wears- they fabric has more give (super comfie though)- but not as much structure in terms of seams- their capris usually are amazing- I have a single pair of their shorter capris and I adore them- so I'm interested to see how these hold up- 22 and change at 30% off- I spent less than 40 for the tights and a new 3/4 zip.

As far as running- I like long runner tights- sweats- or anything baggy about the ankles pi%% me right off.

I also don't like hoodies- they bounce to much. semi fitted- wind blocking- and an ear muff type thing- beanies get a little hot- but a headband/ear warmer is not a bad touch.

I actually really like running in the cold- something about it is really refreshing and invigorating.

yes- invigorating- that's the right word.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I have a coworker from Kansas who does the same thing.
    Regional thing lol
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I live in SC and we actually get some evenings when I run that the temp is 20 degrees. I wear a pair of tights underneath performance leggings. A long sleeve shirt made for cold weather and a light jacket that I can tie around my waist if I get too warm. I don't wear socks because I feel like it makes my feet colder. I wear a beanie on my head and sometimes wrap a scarf around my mouth and neck.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I love my UA running legging/tights whatever they are called :smile: I also use UA "cold gear" long sleeve. I live in Wisconsin so I know cold :wink: