What to Wear.....when running.

Options
2»

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I love my UA running legging/tights whatever they are called :smile: I also use UA "cold gear" long sleeve. I live in Wisconsin so I know cold :wink:

I'm not anti-UA leggings but I bought a size smaller than I normally wear and they're still too big. I spend the first mile of my run pulling my pants up. So my UA tights are now for skiing

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    You can get running tights at Target that are cold weather gear - cheaper than the UnderArmour brand and the ones from Target actually stay up.

A hat or headband plus gloves

A jacket - either full zip or half zip.

Baselayers- there are different levels by UA. Craft has good ones but those are spendy.

I overheat easily. I'm in Maine and last night for my run in 18F, I wore tights from Target, a UA coldgear jacket, a tech t-shirt, and a headband that I had to remove since I got too warm.
    PS- you're an enabler- I have new tights from Old Navy (30-40% off actually).

They are warm- and fabulous.

You're welcome Jo!

I love the ON tights as well, I prefer them and my Target ones to my UA and Gap ones. They stay up, quality is great, I can buy the ON ones long enough for me online lol

me too.
    - I really like their capris pants- they have an extra seam on the outside- and a great waist band- they really DO stay up.

I'm a touch concerned about the ones I got last night- they have more of a fold over waist- I might have to make up my own draw string for them after a few wears- they fabric has more give (super comfie though)- but not as much structure in terms of seams- their capris usually are amazing- I have a single pair of their shorter capris and I adore them- so I'm interested to see how these hold up- 22 and change at 30% off- I spent less than 40 for the tights and a new 3/4 zip.

As far as running- I like long runner tights- sweats- or anything baggy about the ankles pi%% me right off.

I also don't like hoodies- they bounce to much. semi fitted- wind blocking- and an ear muff type thing- beanies get a little hot- but a headband/ear warmer is not a bad touch.

I actually really like running in the cold- something about it is really refreshing and invigorating.

yes- invigorating- that's the right word.

Whoa what?! Jo runs?! =P

I have a hoodie thingy from ON I got on clearance earlier this year. I don't wear it too much I overheat in it since I can't unzip it lol

I saw a lady running in flared pants last weekend, it'd drive me nuts too. I could lift in those but not run. I'd probably trip
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information. Very Helpful.
    You can get running tights at Target that are cold weather gear - cheaper than the UnderArmour brand and the ones from Target actually stay up.

Baselayers- there are different levels by UA. Craft has good ones but those are spendy.

I overheat easily. I'm in Maine and last night for my run in 18F, I wore tights from Target, a UA coldgear jacket, a tech t-shirt, and a headband that I had to remove since I got too warm.

You're welcome Jo!

I love the ON tights as well, I prefer them and my Target ones to my UA and Gap ones. They stay up, quality is great, I can buy the ON ones long enough for me online lol

me too.
    - I really like their capris pants- they have an extra seam on the outside- and a great waist band- they really DO stay up.

I'm a touch concerned about the ones I got last night- they have more of a fold over waist- I might have to make up my own draw string for them after a few wears- they fabric has more give (super comfie though)- but not as much structure in terms of seams- their capris usually are amazing- I have a single pair of their shorter capris and I adore them- so I'm interested to see how these hold up- 22 and change at 30% off- I spent less than 40 for the tights and a new 3/4 zip.

As far as running- I like long runner tights- sweats- or anything baggy about the ankles pi%% me right off.

I also don't like hoodies- they bounce to much. semi fitted- wind blocking- and an ear muff type thing- beanies get a little hot- but a headband/ear warmer is not a bad touch.

I actually really like running in the cold- something about it is really refreshing and invigorating.

Whoa what?! Jo runs?! =P

I have a hoodie thingy from ON I got on clearance earlier this year. I don't wear it too much I overheat in it since I can't unzip it lol

I saw a lady running in flared pants last weekend, it'd drive me nuts too. I could lift in those but not run. I'd probably trip

Call me stupid but what's ON stand for?
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For me in Wisconsin, if it's under 30 and I have no other option, then I will run outside in the cold. Otherwise, I'm at the gym ($10 for a small gym just for the winter - done), or at the Petit Ice Center ($3) a time. If I am outside, it's GoLite tights, or long underware with a pair of shorts over them for legs. I usually wing the upper body and I am either freezing the entire run, or sweating. I can't figure out a good system yet for that.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

You're welcome Jo!

me too.

Whoa what?! Jo runs?! =P

Old Navy
    UA = Under Armour
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I love my UA running legging/tights whatever they are called :smile: I also use UA "cold gear" long sleeve. I live in Wisconsin so I know cold :wink:

I'm not anti-UA leggings but I bought a size smaller than I normally wear and they're still too big. I spend the first mile of my run pulling my pants up. So my UA tights are now for skiing

Did you buy your UA tights this year that they keep falling down?
    If yes, it's happened to my daughter's too.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Did you buy your UA tights this year that they keep falling down?
    If yes, it's happened to my daughter's too.

I bought them sometime in the fall of 2013. I wore them for 2 or 3 runs (including a race) before delegating them as skiing tights.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Layer up brand doesn't matter. Most of what I wear was on clearance and I run when it is 0 with windchill of -15. Have fun
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    Layer up brand doesn't matter. Most of what I wear was on clearance and I run when it is 0 with windchill of -15. Have fun

So in other words the obvious answer is the right answer lol
  • Amanda82691
    Options

You're welcome Jo!

me too.

Whoa what?! Jo runs?! =P

Old Navy
    UA = Under Armour

Haha I got the under Armour. Idk why I was brain dead on the ON. Thanks.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said layers - you might be surprised at how quickly and how much you warm up during your run, even if it's freezing outside. I also recommend a buff for your face - easy to cover up when you need to, easy to take off when you need to. I find putting Vaseline on your nose and cheeks helps against wind burn. Have fun!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Gastro issues suck on a run...
    Totally pisses me off when that happens.... especially if it gets deceptive with me and doesn't forewarn me until I'm 4 or 5 miles from home. I hate having to get creative...

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You're welcome Jo!

me too.

Whoa what?! Jo runs?! =P

usually sprints at this point- but yes- I do cough/have run.

I used to run cross country- I'm actually a surprisingly good runner for a meat head LMAO- I average 9-9:30 min miles when I'm not training and I just go out for a yog.

but yes- Gasp- I do occasionally go yogging.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

You're welcome Jo!

me too.

Whoa what?! Jo runs?! =P

usually sprints at this point- but yes- I do cough/have run.

I used to run cross country- I'm actually a surprisingly good runner for a meat head LMAO- I average 9-9:30 min miles when I'm not training and I just go out for a yog.

but yes- Gasp- I do occasionally go yogging.

I'm just giving you a hard time since yesterday you said you don't run and just want sparkly, retro-reflective pants =P
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Runner's World has a great feature where you input the weather conditions, and it tells you what to wear: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

I usually fall somewhere between the "Feel Cool" and "Feel In-Between" levels, but everyone is different.