Whole 30 Challenge Starting January 2 , 2015.

Options
I'm looking for a few buddies to join me in a whole 30 challenge.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

I figure it's a good way to start off the year and regroup after all the celebratory meals. For those of you not familiar with Whole 30, it is not a diet, but a focus on clean eating(somewhat paleo)
The program is for 30 days, after which you may gradually introduce some of the eliminated things into your diet, keeping an eye out for sensitivity.

It's always more fun to do these things with others for support and to share ideas. Hopefully we'll be able to get a nice group together,

Replies

• jo7777777
    jo7777777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Can't live without dairy!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm interested. Just checked in on here after a while away to see if anyone else was doing Whole 30. This will be the first time I do it. I got so burned out on measuring food and tracking calories last time I was on MFP... hoping that just having a list of foods to eat will be easier. Meal planning and finding crock pot or make ahead meals is definitely the key for me to be able to do this (and I just did that for the first week of Whole 30, now I have to make up the grocery list!).
  • daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi Melody,
    Glad I have at least one person on the journey! I agree that planning will be instrumental. I'm quite excited. Did you say you already completed the first week? BTW- There are several free digital paleo books on Amazon right now. I've downloaded a few to get some recipe ideas. Happy to share.
  • analisareyna
    analisareyna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I'm interested in joining you all. I was doing some research on paleo eating. Do you have any websites you read up on to familiarize yourselves that you recommend?
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have done the Whole30 Challenge a few times, and really enjoy it every time I do. It really makes me feel great. Maybe I'll join this challenge :)

I found some really great recipes here:

http://onceamonthmeals.com/menus/paleo/

I did use a lot of paleo recipes, but be mindful when you do--not all the ingredients are perfectly Whole30, so make sure to eliminate or substitute ingredients when necessary.

OP, I am curious... Why the 2nd of January and not the 1st?
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    So challenging since I only eat seafood ( no meat ). I compensate by eating legumes though I notice there are a few you can eat.
  • felinegraphics
    Options
    I'd like to join you too
  • blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I haven't completed the first week, just planned recipes for the first week.

I don't know about the OP, but I am starting 1/2 because my son's birthday is on 1/1! :) Although now I just made plans to go to IHOP on the 2nd as part of his birthday celebration too, so that should be interesting... I may be starting this at noon on the 2nd and still making good but not perfect choices for breakfast that morning (making good but not perfect choices is basically how I'm approaching the whole thing, though - I'll stick to it at home and do the best I can when eating at other's homes or at restaurants, and limit the restaurants.)

Off to look for books on Amazon! I have _It Starts With Food_ on hold at the library too, but don't expect to see it for a few weeks.
  • analisareyna
    analisareyna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the add @melodyg‌! I will check out that book too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    khearron26 wrote: »
    OP, I am curious... Why the 2nd of January and not the 1st?

I've heard of black-eyed peas or Hoppin' John as traditional New Year's foods--around here the black-eyed peas are often sold out right before New Year's Day. So that could be one reason to start on the second, I suppose.
  • fonseca97
    fonseca97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would love to join the challenge
    Thanks!
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Seems extremely difficult with my lifestyle but I'm going to attempt this! Looks like a fun and informative challenge.
  • daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited that so many people are up for it! Khearon- I'm starting on the 2nd because I've been invited to NYE party by a friend who is a chef. I want to give it a real shot, so don't even want to risk eating non-clean things in the early a.m. of the 1st. Thanks for the recipes! It seems the October menu is Whole 30 compliant!
    -
    Massha you can eat nuts and nut butters and eggs, if you eat those. I think the only legumes allowed are green beans which don't really have much in the way of protein.

Please feel free to add me. I'll update my diary daily starting on January 2nd. Looking forward to this!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    daniat wrote: »
    Massha you can eat nuts and nut butters and eggs, if you eat those.

Peanuts, however, are a legume.
  • creativebellavita
    creativebellavita Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will join you! :)
  • thin2win777
    thin2win777 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Dude/ette it sounds like Atkins...which is not a bad thing :)
  • JZygmunt72
    JZygmunt72 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ill try my hardest but with being on a meal plan, and not having very much money (only got 2000 to spend for 2 years) Im gonna have to be picky at school
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    melodyg wrote: »
    I haven't completed the first week, just planned recipes for the first week.

I don't know about the OP, but I am starting 1/2 because my son's birthday is on 1/1! :) Although now I just made plans to go to IHOP on the 2nd as part of his birthday celebration too, so that should be interesting... I may be starting this at noon on the 2nd and still making good but not perfect choices for breakfast that morning (making good but not perfect choices is basically how I'm approaching the whole thing, though - I'll stick to it at home and do the best I can when eating at other's homes or at restaurants, and limit the restaurants.)

Off to look for books on Amazon! I have _It Starts With Food_ on hold at the library too, but don't expect to see it for a few weeks.

Be careful at IHOP. They put pancake batter in their eggs to make them fluffier. So if you want to try and stick Whole 30, make sure you ask for egg only eggs lol
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm interested!!