Can't stop obsessively overeating

Options
13»

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    To me, I had to find foods that were satiating (filling) so that I wouldn't feel "starving" by dinnertime and then eat everything in sight. Since I'm not vegetarian, I found that eating protein (chicken, tuna) at lunchtime is key for me, as well as peanut butter and cheese between meals. Also, finding a rhythm of eating that keeps you full is helpful. I have found that, for me, eating 4 meals a day works well.

Vegan sites recommend adding the following to your diet to keep you satiated: nuts and nut butters, seeds, avocados, walnut oil, coconut oil, olive oil, hemp seeds, hemp protein powder...

Good luck!
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Personally, I believe this kind of obsessive thinking is addiction at work. I suffer from it too.
    Consequently we're always chasing that first high - the time we discovered the magical, but temporary, soothing effect of our substance of choice. For some of us, abstinence from trigger foods, most usually simple carbs, or maybe specific foods that you have a special relationship with, will work wonders. Some people can limit their intake. But for some, trigger foods are a gateway drug. It has helped me to think of it as an allergy... If you have a peanut allergy, you simply don't eat peanuts.
  • clairecrowley1066
    Options
    Nickel, I have been in OA. I'll send you a PM about it.
  • nickelpickle
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! @JoanLovell‌ I definitely agree with you that keeping the trigger foods out of the house help. If I had pasta sitting in my fridge right now, I definitely wouldn't be writing this!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have recently come to the realization that I need to get help for my overeating. I have struggled with it for a very long time - going through a series of yo-yo diets which overall have only helped me to GAIN weight.

All I think about is food - what I'm going to eat, and when I'm going to eat it. And when I am eating, I'm just thinking about what I can eat next, and how long I'll have to wait in order to not seem food crazed. I eat WAY more than anyone I know - including my husband. It has taken over my life and I feel like I'm neglecting everything because I can't stop being preoccupied with food.

I really don't even know why I over eat. I haven't been able to pinpoint any sort of emotion that causes me to eat. Sometimes I wonder if I do it just because I love to eat - and I admit, I truly do.

I live my life feeling ashamed. Each time I succumb to food temptation I feel that my confidence plummets more and more.

I feel out of control. The only thing I want to do is stop being obsessed with food. I don't even care if I lose weight. I just want to MOVE ON and live my life!

Does anyone relate? :(

Not very popular but going Low Carb High fat worked for me finally after abusing carbs for 40 years. I could not cut back it seemed so I just ditched them cold turkey. The first two weeks was hellish but I was so ticked at my face poking all the time I stuck with it.

After two weeks the obsessing faded away. That was 90 days ago and still no obsessing with food.

Hope you find something that works for you. Being free from cravings is real freedom in my case plus better health.

• nickelpickle
    Options
    @GaleHawkins‌ that is interesting! So you exclude even healthy carbs? I think I probably end up eating pretty high carb by eating so many beans and veggies.
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi nickelpickle (and anyone else who can relate), I totally understand where you are coming from. Like you, I used to think about food ALL the time, it controlled me! If, when you honestly want to, you cannot quit eating, or when eating you have little control over how much you eat, then you are probably a compulsive overeater. Compulsive eating is a progressive illness of the body and mind, but there is a solution that truly works when everything else has failed. You just have to be willing to try anything to become sane again. That's where I about 4 months ago. By working the 12 steps precisely as outlined in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous with a sponsor, I found a way to live "sober" from compulsive eating. Not only am I losing weight, but my relationships are improving since I am not so irritable and so obsessed with food. To find out more, please call and listen to a recorded Overeaters Anonymous phone meeting in privacy of your home 24/7. You will learn about the disease and the 12 step program of recovery! You will find caring people who know exactly how you feel! There is hope and a solution if nothing else has worked for you. Call: 209-255-1099. Access Code: 740111, Reference Number: 93#

I know that all this probably sounds like a commercial, but it has worked for me and many others. The changes in my life are amazing so I want to help others (plus the way to stay recovered is to help other people so I am available to sponsor). Btw, this Overeaters Anonymous group only uses the text from Alcoholics Anonymous because it was the original 12 step program... just change words referring to alcoholic/alcoholism etc. to compulsive eating/overeating and it will apply to us overeaters just fine. We don't use other OA materials, because statistically the AA book gets the best recovery results. (All other materials have slowly changed the message and watered it down over time). Anyone can look at my profile or message me for more info. There are live phone meetings you can call every day of the week, and other recordings to listen to as well. Good Luck!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem. If I'm bored or tired or angry or have something to celebrate or __________ (fill in the blank, practically any answer will do), food is my go-to. I'm still struggling, but what helps the most is to distract myself with other activities that are difficult to do while eating (gardening, sewing, walking the dog, doing homework - I'm in college). Lately when I find myself in the kitchen with the refrigerator or cabinet door open when it isn't mealtime, I tell myself "brew some tea" or "fill the water bottle". Then I get out of there (if I can). I tried a reward system for when I stay on track, but that didn't work. I could never come up with a reward that motivated me to stop overeating. Therefore, I've instituted a penalty. If I don't lose at least 2 pounds in a month, I have to cut off one inch of hair. Since my goal is to grow my hair out to as long as it will grow, this is pretty motivating. The first month (over Thanksgiving and Christmas), I gained. So I cut the inch. Bah! I don't want to have to do that again.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @GaleHawkins‌ that is interesting! So you exclude even healthy carbs? I think I probably end up eating pretty high carb by eating so many beans and veggies.

I like good carbs as long as they do not get over 50 grams daily. I had to cut out most all sugar to cut out most of my arthritis pain. If it was not for pain management I would eat things like beans. I stick with veggies that do not have to be cooked to eat.

Eating 80% good fat now unless I get a pound of macadamia nuts then it is more like 90% that day. :) Coconut oil is my main go to fat and it also takes a bite out of my pain like fish does.

• nursedonna969
    nursedonna969 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm a stress eater and my job has been super stressful lately. I'm thinking about calling EAP to see about how to better handle my stress. I LOVE to eat but hate being overweight. Ugh.