Replies

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Becel, only use butter on Lobster!
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fake foods or "diet" foods. So it is real butter for me.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    What do people use instead of real butter.....that has a the closest proximity in taste to real butter?

I think the wonderful thing about butter is that it has no substitute to equal it.
    I use butter, but I use it sparingly. Instead of slathering a couple of tablespoons onto toast which was my old habit, I use one teaspoon and it really is enough. I get to taste it's sweet and salty deliciousness. ;)

• CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Does real butter quality or flavor vary from brand to brand?
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes, but much less than it used to. Dairy farming practices have become much more standardized. There's actually a very interesting story surrounding the efforts of dairy farmers to beat back margarine in the late 1800s. Part of the battle was making margarine illegal or otherwise disadvantaged. The other party was pressuring dairy farmers to adopting "scientific farming" and keep poor quality dairy products out of the marketplace.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why use anything else? You could be introducing all manor of unwanted chemicals to your body. I usually go dry but use butter when recipes require this sort of ingredient, unless I am cooking for my dairy, soy and egg reactive granddaughter.

Also dairy products hold more beneficial substances in the full fat or semi skimmed product than in the fat free version.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In dishes that call for butter or margerine I will use sterol based spread, but 90% of the time I use real butter. Like others have mentioned I use WAY more margerine or spread if I am buttering toast or loading a potato than if i just use the butter I really want
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ONLY real butter.
    xvjfsfqzcpn8.jpeg
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I grew up on margarine, it's all my mother bought. I used to think butter tasted weird, but now I love it, and to me it's worth the calories. My margarine of choice, when I used it, was I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i don't really use it for baking, but if you're looking for a good spread, land-o-lakes makes a "fresh buttery taste" spread that is absolutely adequate
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Another vote for real butter. But I use it for taste, like on my least favourite cooked vegetables, or maybe on a baked potato. I wouldn't put it on toast or sandwiches. Unless the butter was an integral part of the sandwich make up. For example, ciabatta, rocket, roast beef - has to be butter on there too. And the salted sort. :) Otherwise, for sandwiches, I just use a low calorie mayo.

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'll let you guess which I prefer (points to name).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I eat so little of the stuff and so rarely, that when I do, it's butter and it's always Kerry Gold. To me, it has the best flavor.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Butter. But if you want to make something with more of the good aspects of olive oil and less of the saturated fat of butter, you can make a homemade spreadable by whipping the two together. A spreadable is much easier to distribute on toast. You can go as far as 1:1 butter to oil but it's a really loose spread. 2 butter : 1 oil makes a stiffer spread. 2 butter : 1 oil : 1 water makes a spread with fewer calories per volume and doesn't make your toast too damp as it melts.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Real butter, usually salted organic :)
  • etoledo18
    etoledo18 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just don't use it...
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm very lactose intolerant. We found a tofu butter substitute that even my roommate finds acceptable to bake with. Sorry I'm away so can't report the brand
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant (can handle cheese in small amounts) so butter gives me GI issues. I use Earth Balance.
    Have you tried cultured butter? My lactose intolerant husband can have it without problems.

• takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stick to olive oil and coconut oil.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use grass fed butter or make my own. I've read that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic! Plus it tastes terrible!