Breakfast for a Working Person

What do you eat before you go to work?
I need to start eating breakfast to avoid being so hungry at lunch, but I'm always in such a rush in the mornings.

What do you eat?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I don't usually eat it until I'm at work, but: Greek non-fat yogurt with nuts and whatever fruit I have.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    I find quick before-work breakfasts challenging because I'm not a fan of sweet breakfasts and most quick ones are sweet, so I make egg "quiche" muffins, modified from the South Beach Diet book. I make them with real eggs, add ham or bacon and goat cheese. They freeze pretty well, but hold up in the fridge for the week i find

Recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetable-quiche-cups-sbd-81319
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    If you need something to grab to eat on the way, a good source of protein is low-fat string cheese but this isn't a complete breakfast. Uncooked oatmeal stirred into yogurt is great. Some folks let this mixture sit overnight to soften the oatmeal but it's good immediately after stirring, too. Add some fruit and you have a complete breakfast.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I bake once or twice per week so I always have a supply of fresh muffins, bagels, scones, or whatever.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Me too! nonfat greek plain yogurt, 10 almonds, a handful of plain oats uncooked, and half a banana or an apple or whatever. At my desk. Every day :)

If I can't eat at my desk because of an early meeting, it's two slices of whole wheat toast with a thin scrape of peanut butter and an apple, with a steering wheel in front of me.
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    I'm out the door at 6am so no time to eat or cook so I leave a carton of almond or coconut milk in the fridge in work and a bag of unsweetened swiss muesli in my desk. I just grab a banana on the way out the door to slice over it when I get to work. I have that around 7am and it holds me until around 10am when I have some almonds and a tangerine. This gets me through to lunchtime no probs without resorting to eating something processed.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I go the the gym at 5:30 am and need to eat prior to going. I make a big egg frittata filled with vegetables on Sunday and it lasts throughout the work week.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How much time do you have to eat?
    Can you eat at work?
    Can you wake up 20 minutes earlier?

I have about 15-20 minutes to prepare the food and eat.
    I don't have time to eat at work most days.
    Not really. I enjoy my sleep.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    • Overnight oats with chia or flaxseed
    • Protein shake
    • Protein bar
    • Eggs, bacon, and an english muffin are quick
    • Breakfast sandwich
    • Greek yogurt with fruit or protein granola
    • Veggie omelet with bacon or sausage
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    prep breakfast the night before if you can, oatmeal doesn't go bad overnight just reheat and then add maybe a protein source like beef patties or something, or make an omelette at night and reheat next day, bring yogurt or banana or other fruit with you to work to fill you up a little more
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited January 2015
    My best superquick breakfast is 1/2 cup Kashi Go-Lean Crunch, 1/2 cup 0% greek yogurt and a 1/2 cup of fruit, typically berries. I get sugar, carbs and protein enough to stay satiated til lunch. But most days I want to get up early enough for meat and eggs.

Scramble and egg and throw some precooked meat and cheese on a tortilla and nuke.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    almonds, tablespoon peanut butter, a couple boiled eggs(made the day or so before)...eating in the AM really seems to help me not splurge at lunch! I also keep almonds and pecans in my car and eat...
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    I get up 1/2 hour earlier and make a hot breakfast just about every day. Has browns, eggs, sausage (or some other breakfast meat), coffee.
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    This is tough for me...I loooooove sweet, carby breakfasts, but they make me crash and feel like crap by 9am. I am a teacher, so I have a very short lunch period.

I am planning on coffee, banana, and nuts if I am in a hurry. If I have time, I can do Canadian bacon and an egg in 10 minutes. I really like boiled eggs too....
  • smithersad
    smithersad Posts: 7 Member
    I usually try and keep a yogurt cup and some type of grab and go fruit on hand. This week I've had halos or cuties, or a cup of grapes in a Ziploc bag. I also keep a granola, almond, dried cranberry mix that I keep in my desk at work. I know this isn't the best breakfast, but my mornings are very hectic at work, and it's about all I can manage. I used to drink slim fast in the mornings, but they always upset my stomach, so I cut those out.
  • pr872
    pr872 Posts: 7
    I don't mean to be negative or rude but it would be more difficult to find items that can't be made/eaten in 20 minutes.

cereal, toast, bagel, eggs & something like turkey bacon, yogurt, granola bar, smoothie, fruit, etc, etc...and that does not even take into consideration preparing a meal in advance.

I poach two eggs in the microwave and nuke some turkey bacon(yes i know, high sodium) a couple days a week. This literally takes me less than five minutes to make and less than five minutes to eat.

Another favorite is my breakfast smoothie:
    1/2 cup oats(dry oatmeal)
    3/4 c water or milk (whatever your preference...I use low fat milk)
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 TBS honey
    1/2 large banana/whole small banana
    8 ice cubes
    1 tsp flax seed/meal (optional)
    pulse 5 or 6 times then blend for 10-15 seconds
    (made in single serve cup of my ninja blender)

Good Luck, let me know what you think of the smoothie if ya try it.

• inskydiamonds
    edited January 2015
    pr872 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be negative or rude but it would be more difficult to find items that can't be made/eaten in 20 minutes.

cereal, toast, bagel, eggs & something like turkey bacon, yogurt, granola bar, smoothie, fruit, etc, etc...and that does not even take into consideration preparing a meal in advance.

I poach two eggs in the microwave and nuke some turkey bacon(yes i know, high sodium) a couple days a week. This literally takes me less than five minutes to make and less than five minutes to eat.

Another favorite is my breakfast smoothie:
    1/2 cup oats(dry oatmeal)
    3/4 c water or milk (whatever your preference...I use low fat milk)
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 TBS honey
    1/2 large banana/whole small banana
    8 ice cubes
    1 tsp flax seed/meal (optional)
    pulse 5 or 6 times then blend for 10-15 seconds
    (made in single serve cup of my ninja blender)

Good Luck, let me know what you think of the smoothie if ya try it.

It's not rude :) I'm looking for ideas. I've never been all into breakfasts unless I'm all out making a huge breakfast, so just looking for ideas!

Also, that smoothie sounds delicious! I will try it!
  • inskydiamonds
    How much time do you have to eat?
    Can you eat at work?
    Can you wake up 20 minutes earlier?

I have about 15-20 minutes to prepare the food and eat.
    I don't have time to eat at work most days.
    Not really. I enjoy my sleep.

Something is going to have to give. An extra 15 minutes in the morning can solve your problem and remove this stressful situation. Which is what it is because if it wasn't then we wouldn't be talking about it in this thread. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices.

Honestly, I'm looking for food ideas not life advice. I appreciate you taking the time to offer suggestions, but most days I have 15-20 minutes and that's what I'm looking to work within. If you don't think there's anything I can eat within that time, okay, but I've gotten advice to the contrary from other people.
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    I have a smoothie every morning with protein powder. I use a magic bullet so I actually throw everything in here the night before and then add a little water in the morning before blending. It's the on,ly way I've been able to eat a quality breakfast, and like you I like my sleep so getting up earlier wasn't an option for me. On the weekends I switch up what I eat because I'm not in a rush out the door.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    When I'm really in a hurry, whole grain bread and cheese. I can't eat sweet things in the morning.