Food Texture Issues/Quirks - Who else has them?

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    UGGG, raw oysters. I can't do that texture.
  • Smccabe8
    Smccabe8 Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ahh, how could I forget about coconut? It's like eating grass.

I am so glad I'm not alone on the popsicle stick thing. It's always icked me out. Why can't they just put popsicles on plastic sticks?

And soggy cereal. I eat cereal all the time but only while it's crunchy. Once the Corn Flakes hit that soggy stage, I'm done. (Grape Nuts are always soggy.... *gags*)
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat.... I can do grits, mashed potatoes and polenta... but cream of wheat is foul...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of food related quirks.

Any type of rice (I blame this on a movie watched long, long ago).

Was it The Lost Boys by any chance?

Exactly.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I HATED string cheese. The difficulty of the perfectly peeling it, and the taste was just nasty. Now I can't get enough of the stuff.
  • jacqueline7599
    jacqueline7599 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a lot. I also can't have certain foods touching. Like say corn and mashed potatoes. If it's something I never ate before I have to smell it first. I'm trying to do recipes for my nutribullet. I see people using spinach and fruit but that kinda freaks me out. I love raw spinach and fruit though.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I absolutely despise raw onions- won't eat them in anything. I will also eat onion rings all day long, but will absolutely not eat anything with cooked onions in it.

I hate the taste of the raw onions and despise the texture of cooked onions. No clue why I'll eat a solid ring of cooked onion as long as it's covered in batter..

Yes! I can't stand onions in any form, except onion rings. It doesn't make sense to me and everyone I know thinks it's extremely weird.

I actually find it frustrating! I'm not a picky eater at all and onions are basically the only thing I hate- it would be much easier if I could just LIKE them, but I can't!!! lol

• Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Texture ruins so many things for me. I cant handle asparagus, green beans made me gag, tomatoes on their own. I like celery on its own, but I don't like it in egg salad or tuna salad. It sucks, I hate being so damn picky.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I can't eat mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini or cooked greens because the textures just gross me out. I can only eat tofu if it's frozen and thawed before cooking or baked long enough to dry it out. Soggy tofu makes me gag.

Which sucks because I'm vegetarian and every time I go to a catered function the veggie option is invariably some combination of those foods.
  • rachelchase40
    rachelchase40 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Meat right off the bone. It makes me cringe when I see anyone chewing meat off a chicken bone or ribs or whatever. Especially when they put the end of a drumstick or something in their mouth where there's cartilage and marrow and whatnot and suckle on it to get the little bit of meat. So gross.

I am so with you on this one... I can't eat anything off the bone, it's awful just watching someone do it
  • paulasuscas01
    paulasuscas01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't like anything soggy. I won't put milk in my cereal because I can never eat it fast enough before it becomes all mushy.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm on the popsicle stick train. I will actually take it off the stick and eat the popsicle/ice cream out of a bowl. And gummy bears are like chewing on a pencil eraser.

And yeah, soggy cereal is the worst. My husband, though, will actually pour his cereal and milk BEFORE he gets in the shower in the morning because according to him it will be the 'perfect consistency' when he gets out. Blergh, so gross. Then, when he's done with his mush, he drinks the remaining milk straight out of the bowl. Also gross but a topic for another time. LOL
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers (cooked peppers in general), Pea soup, Okra, avocado (has to be smashed and hidden in something else, I can't eat it on it's own), raw fish/shellfish & eggplant.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The texture of couscous. Bleh
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am physically repulsed by the idea of biting straight into most fruits, especially apples. They need to be chopped up. It's the feeling of the skin against my teeth. Makes me shudder.
  • HelenO20
    HelenO20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes I can't stand any beans. That bitty texture is just wrong!
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yogurt feels like weird mucus and I hate crunchy things.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I can't stand "raw" cheese. I'll melt it on just about anything, but to pick up a cold chunk & eat it? No way. Also can't stand hard boiled egg yolks. I find both of these things... "powdery" is the closest word I can think of right now.

Cottage cheese can gross me out, I'd put almonds in it so I had something to chew. Also can't do tomatoes or mushrooms (flavour & texture are nasty)
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    Celery strings, uni, chia seeds, banana strings, and accidentally touching my lips to kiwi skin. Worse, though, there are also a LOT of synthetic fabrics (acrylic, lycra) that I cannot stand to touch. The feel causes a serious physical reaction like nails down a chalkboard - it's actually nauseating. I am shuddering just thinking about it.

oh my gosh @jlahorn‌ ME TOO. I don't know what it is, specifically, but my fiance has a few under armour shirts that I can't touch. At all. I get this awful feeling and it won't go away until I've sufficiently touched another kind of fabric. I also don't like when a fabric kind of gets caught on my nails. *shudder*

ETA: And mussels! I can't get over them being gritty and slimy at the same time. Gross!
  • rachiefofo
    rachiefofo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a huge issue with coconut, cucumbers, mushrooms, and anything with little seeds!!! I hate it! Luckily my taste buds have changed over the years and I am able to eat some veggies and fruits. (When I was little I used to have to swallow my peas whole bc I wasn't allowed to leave the dinner table! Talk about texture issues!)