sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    jennat007 wrote: »
    thanks for the tips. I'm doing the water thing and trying distractions, I have the same problem with chocolate, 1 bit leads to a binge. Think I may need a psychologist.

Therapy isn't an entirely bad idea, IMO. They can help you figure out why you feel like you're addicted to sweets, and the best ways to control your urges.

I do not believe sugar addiction is really a thing - I think sugary foods taste really good, so we obviously want more of them. We tell ourselves that we're unable to say no - because then we're not to blame. Everyone does this on some level, in some area of their life, so please don't feel like I'm criticizing you.

If you want to cut added sugar out of your diet, I wish you luck. My *personal* preference is to stick with moderation in all areas. If you're not mentally ready for or interested in moderation, a period of going without will probably be good for you.

Good luck.
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Here is something to consider with the cravings...like humblemonkey said, try to determine why are you craving. If you are bored or stressed think back on why... did something happen to make you resentful or irritable, angry or fearful? Also think about times you do eat too much. If, when you honestly want to, you cannot quit eating, or when eating you have little control over how much you eat, then you could be a compulsive overeater. I am a total compulsive eater, I could overeat sugar of course, but also bread or even veggies if I was stressed enough and didn't have sweets around. Compulsive eating is a progressive illness of the body and mind, but there is a solution that truly works if you are willing to try anything to become sane again. By working the 12 steps precisely as outlined in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous with a sponsor, I have found a way to live "sober" from compulsive eating. Not only am I losing weight (40 pounds so far), but my relationships are improving since I am not so irritable and so obsessed with food. Good luck to you!
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    jennat007 wrote: »
    thanks for the tips. I'm doing the water thing and trying distractions, I have the same problem with chocolate, 1 bit leads to a binge. Think I may need a psychologist.

This is very common. Try Keto
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with experience rather than bothering with the whole debate. I know personally that if I consume a lot of sugar OR refined carbs, it sets me up for a binge. The more I eat the more I crave. Eating fruit does not have this effect on me. Eating whole grains and unrefined carbs doesn't either. I know I am not alone in this. So therefore the best I can tell you is to stick with whole, unrefined foods and cut back on refined carbs and sugars. Strawberries are pretty low in calories. A cup is only 50 cal. Half a cantaloupe is only 100 cal. These things have vitamins and fiber and are wholesome for you. Some people really do have to abstain from certain foods as if they were drugs; others have luck with just cutting back.... and some people who do not experience these things themselves don't believe those of us who do (ignore, ignore, ignore lol). You may have to experiment a bit to get to truly understand your reactions to various foods and learn what to do.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    slimbettie wrote: »
    This topic caught my eye, because i am currently on Day 2 of a 10 Day "no sugar" challenge.... just for me, and not permanent, I love my sugar tooooooo much!!! But rather this than gaining back 10kg before I hit the breaks. It is hard, I must be honest. But going cold turkey for me, just to bring things back into perspective is key. No sugar for me, means anything that has added sugar like cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc. Had to do something, because every day I would have 3 tinkies (twinkies), ice cream, cookies with my coffee. Things got waaaaay out of hand. :s

Good luck. Be strong. You will find a balance.

so you are eating zero bread, vegetables, etc, because, sugar right?
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This topic caught my eye, because i am currently on Day 2 of a 10 Day "no sugar" challenge.... just for me, and not permanent, I love my sugar tooooooo much!!! But rather this than gaining back 10kg before I hit the breaks. It is hard, I must be honest. But going cold turkey for me, just to bring things back into perspective is key. No sugar for me, means anything that has added sugar like cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc. Had to do something, because every day I would have 3 tinkies (twinkies), ice cream, cookies with my coffee. Things got waaaaay out of hand. :s

Vegetables have added sugar? Thank you, I was so wrong thinking carbs in veggies come from Fiber.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Vegetables have added sugar? Thank you, I was so wrong thinking carbs in veggies come from Fiber.

carbs convert to sugar….

so if poster is going 100% no sugar carbs would need to be zero.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was addicted to sugar.
    It's not really that.
    I just ate when I felt like it and sugar tastes really really good.

It's beaten by willpower.
    And low calorie sweetened goodies.
    Like fruit.

Nom nom nom.

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    try iced coffe with sugar free creamers,my personal favorite or Lugi's I talian ices,if you eat them too fast I get Brain Freeze, teaches disapline LOL
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    LOL. Please read what I said: quote

No sugar for me, means anything that has added sugar like cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc.

unquote.

This is my personal challenge. No debate needed thanks!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    LOL. Please read what I said: quote

No sugar for me, means anything that has added sugar like cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc.

unquote.

This is my personal challenge. No debate needed thanks!!

What about fruit?
  • slimbettie
    Options
    I do eat fruit. Fruit does not have "added" sugars. :)

It is only 10 days to get me back on track and away from the cakes....
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

So after 10 days, you are going to practice moderation with sugar?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I'm genuinely curious and not being a jerk.

What happens after 10 days? Do you feel more in control of your cravings?
  • slimbettie
    Options
    Yip! I am a firm believer of eating anything and not to restrict any food groups. That is the only way I managed to lose 40kg so far.

But the last month or so I noticed that I dig into all the sweet goodies way to much. It is almost a case of the more sweet things I eat, the more I want.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Yip! I am a firm believer of eating anything and not to restrict any food groups. That is the only way I managed to lose 40kg so far.

But the last month or so I noticed that I dig into all the sweet goodies way to much. It is almost a case of the more sweet things I eat, the more I want.

So how often do you have to "reset"?
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sugar has effects on the nucleus accumbens and the ventral tegmental areas of the brain, which are involved with addiction. There are increasing studies suggesting that sugar, and a sugar-fat combination has similar effects on the brain to opiates, like morphine, heroin, etc. in terms of dopamine binding, increased tolerance, withdrawal symptoms, etc.

People don't get as high or drunk on sugar as they do on other substances like cocaine or heroin, but it probably is addictive, like nicotine or anything else.
  • slimbettie
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm genuinely curious and not being a jerk.

What happens after 10 days? Do you feel more in control of your cravings?

Absolutely YES!!!!
    I already feel 100% better and has only been 2 days now.
    But 10 day is enough...can't give up my sweets forever, no way.
    When I started this journey back in May 2013 I gave up chocolates completely for 4 months. Now I appreciate A chocolate bite by bite and not devour 10 in a row just for the hell of it.

• TheVirgoddess
    Options
    zillie77 wrote: »
    Sugar has effects on the nucleus accumbens and the ventral tegmental areas of the brain, which are involved with addiction. There are increasing studies suggesting that sugar, and a sugar-fat combination has similar effects on the brain to opiates, like morphine, heroin, etc. in terms of dopamine binding, increased tolerance, withdrawal symptoms, etc.

People don't get as high or drunk on sugar as they do on other substances like cocaine or heroin, but it probably is addictive, like nicotine or anything else.

Okay, given that information.

Wouldn't someone who drank 5-6 sodas a day go through some withdraw symptoms after dropping down to half a soda a day?

Because that's exactly what I did, and I felt nothing (and I'm a former smoker, I know).

If sugar were addictive - we all eat it, so why isn't everyone addicted?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You don't have a sugar addiction. You just don't have self-control.
This discussion has been closed.