Potatoes might not be so bad!

Options

Replies

• samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. Mashed or homemade french fries/hashbrowns are my favourite!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Coming to MFP in 2015.... the all potato diet. ;)

Or the potato cleanse!

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Or the potato cleanse!

At which end does the spud go for this cleanse you speak of?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When were potatoes bad? :open_mouth: I love me some papas!! :blush:
    1845-1852 when they were being destroyed by potato blight.

Potatoes are not "bad" or "unhealthy" or whatever the buzzword is now. My Irish blood is boiling reading such nonsense.
    tumblr_m24zrvbCBT1r52memo1_500.gif
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Potatoes were never bad to begin with...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gle8442 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    LOL - potatoes were never bad. Overeating = weight gain. Not eating potatoes. You can eat potatoes, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight; on the flip side, you can eat zero potatoes, overeat,and gain weight.

Food is not inherently bad or good, it is just something that your body uses for energy. < wrap your brain around that concept and you will have long term success achieving your goals.

Uh, that's only true if you believe that the ONLY point of food is weight loss. I can maintain my weight on 2,000 calories of chocolate a day or on 2,000 calories of fresh fruits and veggies... but in the first case I am going to end up severely micronutrient deficient and in the second I am going to be doing well. People tend to think potatoes don't do much for you in that department, but the study found that they helped people improve their cholesterol and lowered inflammation - those are important no matter what weight you are at!

Potatoes are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and manganese. Anyone who thinks potatoes are not beneficial in terms of micronutrients, knows little about nutrition.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Wow, I did not know that Potatoes were not included for WIC. I had to use WIC when hubby lost his job right after I had my first child 6 years ago. It was a great program and it helped out alot until hubby found a new job. They did have some very specific foods you could purchase, but I must have glazed over the whole potato thing. Reading that really makes me kind of sad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    roasted potatoes with rosemary, garlic, onion, and olive oil = da bomb yo!

This is the best way to eat potatoes. So good.

Also, yeah, never bad. Potassium and stuff.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'm craving some hash browns now... gotta go find me a recipe on how to make them... MMM... :yum:
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well, I certainly won't feel as guilty everytime I have a red potato anymore. (About 1-2x/week.)
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I really want potatoes after reading this thread. I mean, deep down I always want potatoes, but even more so at this moment.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i eat potatoes everyday so thats cool...im going to go make mashed potatoes now
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    roasted potatoes with rosemary, garlic, onion, and olive oil = da bomb yo!

With chicken in there, this is one of my favorite meals.

Though a lot of people did think potatoes were bad, because so many people think carbs are bad.
  • DaveTimeKeeper
    DaveTimeKeeper Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    potatoes have more vitamins and minerals than most foods in the same category,
    along with sweet potato/yam you could do very well
    fiber, minerals, vitamins,

I have lived for months on nothing but potatoes before,
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves potatoes, this made me happy.

grubstreet.com/2014/12/potatoes-obesity.html

Curious if you even read the article or just the title...

Study is on mice... and using a serum derived from potatoes that equates to 30 potatoes per day (not sure how this would work either as a couldn't see a mouse eating a full potato in a day)

Anyways potatoes aren't "bad for you" they're even better for you with the skins on. How you cook them matters as does what you put on them.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves potatoes, this made me happy.

grubstreet.com/2014/12/potatoes-obesity.html

My problem is potatoes go so well with butter and sour cream, or fried with ketchup.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Or the potato cleanse!

At which end does the spud go for this cleanse you speak of?

Well, I wouldn't recommend using a potato as a suppository...
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I never gave up potatoes and I have lost 37 lbs since June. If I had to give them up I would be one unhappy individual. They are cheap and there are a ton of things you can do with potatoes. Soups, fries, baked, roasted, mashed, ect. Very versatile and a medium potato is only about 110 calories. Bake in a microwave 5-6 minutes, add reduced fat sour cream and some green onions and that is a very low cal lunch or snack.