embarrassing gym etiquette question

13»

Replies

• nicklippa
    nicklippa Posts: 31 Member
    while we are on this topic....men please do not clip you toe nails in the locker room!
  • everyone usually wipes down their machines with these napkins and hand sanitizer before their workout so its a waste to wipe it down after you use it. other stuff I can imagine can be wiped down if youre covered in sweat like this guy I seen whose sweat was all the way down to his belly. I thought of carrying a zipper baggie with cotton balls drenched in alcohol for stuff like that cause I don't like laying my neck on stuff I think sweaty betty was on.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Dear God--PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE wipe it down! Seriously. this is one of my biggest pet peeves. :s

And as a personal observation, the women at the gym which I frequent almost always (I'd say 99% of them) wipe down equipment while the men just walk away and don't even bother. I have always been puzzled by this: do these men just not care about the gross factor?

Not saying that this is true everywhere or making a sexist generality, just pointing out my own experience.
  • SMK683
    SMK683 Posts: 31 Member
    My gym requires it. Also, a friend and her husband caught MRSA 2 years ago and after questioning them, their doctor said they most likely caught it from their gym's equipment.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Oh yes. You absolutely, positively must wipe down the equipment! Prevents the spread of infection.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    I didn't when i went to the gym. I saw others do it. But I didn't really sweat much and I don't mind germs, it helps build the immune system. Plus I mainly just used the treadmill or the glider thing.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I didn't when i went to the gym. I saw others do it. But I didn't really sweat much and I don't mind germs, it helps build the immune system. Plus I mainly just used the treadmill or the glider thing.

You wouldn't mind catching a staph infection that has the potential to turn deadly?
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited January 2015
    Do you have evidence that gyms are a meaningful source of staph infections or that a wipe reduces the risk? I'm willing to wipe the equipment because some people find not doing so icky and rude. But I'm not buying in to the notion that this is a public health issue. I'm not Typhoid Mary