January Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    Still itching to get out. Got a bad head cold on NYD that I can't shake.

And my ankles are sore again after my run on the 31st. It's the post tibia tendonitis that took me out in December. Does anybody have any experience with this?? My doctor told me it was likely due to overuse and had me take some time off, RICE and ease back in and ice after every run.

The first few runs were fine....but after a relatively short run Wednesday (3.5 miles), they are sore again today.

I'm also stuck on the shoe thing. Was originally fit for neutral Ghost 6's...which I absolutely loved. After I got PTT, went to a different store for another opinion...they felt I needed a stability shoe. I got the Brooks GTS Adrenaline...but absolutely hated them. I always had bad runs that felt like a lot of work.

I went ahead and bought (running shoe *kitten*) the Gel Kayano's that were the second choice. They felt better...that's the pair that I ran with on the 31st.

I went back to a 3rd store. They looked at the wear pattern on my first shoes and showed me where they were wearing pretty neutrally..except one side that had just started to wear a bit inside. He felt my arches were low, but a neutral shoe should be fine.

I just want to be able to get back to running on a regular basis again. Between the headcold, the weather forecast and my ankles being sore - I'm going to go ahead and take 10 days off...but when I come back I want to be able to ease back into mileage again.

Do I just go back to the support shoe...even though they are bricks that take all the fun out of running?
    The doctor you saw for the PTT should be able to advise you on what type of shoe you need and/or send you to a Physical Therapist who can do an analysis of your gait and whether you pronate, supinate or are neutral. Alternatively you could see a sports chiropractor for a similar analysis. You might also do well with orthotics depending on what they find. My orthotics have made a world of difference in my running and being able to run without pain or additional injuries.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Another 2 down - 27kms to go!

exercise.png
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    After being rubbish for a couple of months (and unfortunately picking up a leg injury the other day that I hope will clear soon) I'll go for a subdued, but realistic 50 miles for this month. I managed 1.25 miles on Friday before succumbing to my injury so starting slow
    2/1: 1.25 miles

exercise.png
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    01/01 - 10 miles
    01/02 - rest
    01/03 - 10 miles

I met a new running friend during my crazy trail run who is training for the same Marathon in April as I am. We ran 10 together today and worked really well together. I am getting excited for training now!

How awesome is that??!! A training buddy will make it so much more fun!!! You're trail race sounded amazing!
    exercise.png
    [/url]
    Had to clean the whole house and put away holiday stuff, and was not going to run, but then remembered the challenge, so got in a 3.1slow run. Really glad I did!!!

Nice, that's always the way - a run will always leave you feeling better after no matter how much your brain tries to convince you otherwise before! Well done.

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    1/1 = 6 miles
    1/2 = 4 miles + strength training
    1/3 = 6.5 miles
    1/4 = 3 miles + strength training
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Still itching to get out. Got a bad head cold on NYD that I can't shake.

And my ankles are sore again after my run on the 31st. It's the post tibia tendonitis that took me out in December. Does anybody have any experience with this?? My doctor told me it was likely due to overuse and had me take some time off, RICE and ease back in and ice after every run.

The first few runs were fine....but after a relatively short run Wednesday (3.5 miles), they are sore again today.

I'm also stuck on the shoe thing. Was originally fit for neutral Ghost 6's...which I absolutely loved. After I got PTT, went to a different store for another opinion...they felt I needed a stability shoe. I got the Brooks GTS Adrenaline...but absolutely hated them. I always had bad runs that felt like a lot of work.

I went ahead and bought (running shoe *kitten*) the Gel Kayano's that were the second choice. They felt better...that's the pair that I ran with on the 31st.

I went back to a 3rd store. They looked at the wear pattern on my first shoes and showed me where they were wearing pretty neutrally..except one side that had just started to wear a bit inside. He felt my arches were low, but a neutral shoe should be fine.

I just want to be able to get back to running on a regular basis again. Between the headcold, the weather forecast and my ankles being sore - I'm going to go ahead and take 10 days off...but when I come back I want to be able to ease back into mileage again.

Do I just go back to the support shoe...even though they are bricks that take all the fun out of running?
    The doctor you saw for the PTT should be able to advise you on what type of shoe you need and/or send you to a Physical Therapist who can do an analysis of your gait and whether you pronate, supinate or are neutral. Alternatively you could see a sports chiropractor for a similar analysis. You might also do well with orthotics depending on what they find. My orthotics have made a world of difference in my running and being able to run without pain or additional injuries.

Sorry you are having problems, since we are friends I know you exercise a lot! Taking days off is probably a great idea and I also agree with ^^^^ Feel better
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    1/1, 2.0 miles, outside, 19 degrees with the wind but it was sunny!
    1/4, 4.34 miles, treadmill, it snowed last night and then was pouring on top of that. Thankful for my treadmill today!!

6.34 miles total; 70 miles goal

exercise.png
  • emsmom8
    emsmom8 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    10 mile run yesterday
    Total 13
    Goal 80
    Remaining 67
    I just got a fit bit so I'm excited to see if it will motivate a few more miles out of me:)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    1/1/2015: 3.94 miles outside
    1/2/2015: 3.46 miles treadmill
    1/3/2015: 1.95 miles outside, because I was too lazy to drive to the gym (?!)
    1/4/2015: 4.34 miles treadmill, driving to the gym was terrifying (ask me about my POS car.)

• italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Here we go:

1/1: 4 miles outside
    1/3: 7 miles outside

Total miles in January: 11
    Miles to goal: 49
    Goal: 60 miles
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Goal for January: 75 miles
    1/1 rest
    1/2 unplanned but very productive rest
    1/3 5 miles
    1/4 3.18

Total 8.18 miles

(ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date)

exercise.png
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    I met a new running friend during my crazy trail run who is training for the same Marathon in April as I am. We ran 10 together today and worked really well together. I am getting excited for training now!
    That's perfect! I love meeting great runners on the trails almost as much as I love running alone. Keep up the awesome running!

Just my opinion, if the shoes feel like bricks & take the fun out of running they're not the right shoe for you. Your running shoes should feel like an extension of your own body. They should protect your foot & move with you not against you. Keep looking, you'll find the right shoe.

_Date___ Miles
    Jan 1 ___5.7 lovely first run of the new year
    Jan 2 ___7.1 light flurries
    Jan 3 ___4.7
    Jan 4 ___1.3 streak
    Jan 5 ___

Month total= 18.9miles ___ 121.1remaining

exercise.png

• megsaroo
    megsaroo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm starting today! My goal is 30 miles (a little more than one mile for every day left in January)

exercise.png
  • johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Dec 1 - 2.5 miles
    Dec 2 - Rest
    Dec 3 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Dec 4 - 2 miles

exercise.png
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Knocked off another 1.5kms today. Remembered to wear the sports bra - that was an uncomfortable and embarrassing lesson to learn during yesterday's run!

1/1 - 1km
    2/1 - 1km
    3/1 - rest
    4/1 - 2km
    5/1 - 1.5kms

exercise.png
  • tdpetunia
    tdpetunia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1/4/15 60 minutes walking into the woods with my dogs! Very nice day outside!
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • mekuhl8910
    Options
    I'm excited to say that I'm new and going for 15 miles. Wish me luck, and feel free to add me! :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 8 miles - 8
    1/2 9 miles - 17
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 8.85 miles - 25.85

exercise.png

• n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It was 60 degrees today & later in the week will be high of 26, so went out for 4 miles on Tra
    exercise.png
    il.
This discussion has been closed.