Super Obese and need a good starting exercise plan

Options
2»

Replies

• Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    Definitely starting with walking is perfect. Bad weather? Go to the mall. Invest in a decent pair of sneakers with maybe an insert if needed for extra comfort.

Don't forget if you have a dog, taking them walking is a win/win for both (:
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I appreciate all the tips. The mall is a good idea too. (and taking the dogs, I have two lil ones)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, do try the Y. It's a great place - maybe the best place! - to begin. It's the original non-judgemental place. And you can sing the song. ;)

Honestly, if you are serious about wanting to watch the pounds melt away, swimming is the thing for you. Say goodbye to your fat if you swim. Toning the muscles is nice, but watching your waist show up is even more fun, IMO!

Ask anyone who swims regularly and they'll tell you! Swimming works the body crazy-hard. The beauty if it is that you're never hot and sweaty.

The lack of hot and sweaty is the problem, too. Word of caution: since it's so easy to do and so hard to tell when you're over-exerting yourself, pay attention to the signals. If you're out of breath, take a break. If you're thinking, "Geez, I'm so tired," take a break. We don't want you drowning. :)

But get in the pool. The first time is the hardest. Get over self with the "I'm too fat to swim" thing if it's in your head. Most people won't be staring at your fat because they don't care as much about it as you, they've seen fat ladies in suits before, they know how hard it is for a fat lady to get over self and do something about it and they really just don't care.

When I'd been swimming for about two months, one lifeguard told me he watched some fat woman go from about 300 pounds (he guessed) to about 120. He said he didn't know at first that she'd do it, but watched her swim her fat away. :)

If people do stare (unlikely), tell them to take a good look, because that fat will be gone soon.

Don't let the "Oh, I cannot wear a suit in public!" thing scare you. This is not the time to find reasons to be scared and back off. Now is the time to say, "No. Uhn-uh. No excuses." and get over yourself!

And, again, amazon: one piece jogger. Hides the thighs and doesn't ride up to show your belly like the Tankinis will. Tankinis are great for thin women and those who aren't actually swimming in deep water. A fat lady who sims needs a one piece suit or a one piece jogger suit. :)
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Yes, do try the Y. It's a great place - maybe the best place! - to begin. It's the original non-judgemental place. And you can sing the song. ;)

Honestly, if you are serious about wanting to watch the pounds melt away, swimming is the thing for you. Say goodbye to your fat if you swim. Toning the muscles is nice, but watching your waist show up is even more fun, IMO!

Ask anyone who swims regularly and they'll tell you! Swimming works the body crazy-hard. The beauty if it is that you're never hot and sweaty.

The lack of hot and sweaty is the problem, too. Word of caution: since it's so easy to do and so hard to tell when you're over-exerting yourself, pay attention to the signals. If you're out of breath, take a break. If you're thinking, "Geez, I'm so tired," take a break. We don't want you drowning. :)

But get in the pool. The first time is the hardest. Get over self with the "I'm too fat to swim" thing if it's in your head. Most people won't be staring at your fat because they don't care as much about it as you, they've seen fat ladies in suits before, they know how hard it is for a fat lady to get over self and do something about it and they really just don't care.

When I'd been swimming for about two months, one lifeguard told me he watched some fat woman go from about 300 pounds (he guessed) to about 120. He said he didn't know at first that she'd do it, but watched her swim her fat away. :)

If people do stare (unlikely), tell them to take a good look, because that fat will be gone soon.

Don't let the "Oh, I cannot wear a suit in public!" thing scare you. This is not the time to find reasons to be scared and back off. Now is the time to say, "No. Uhn-uh. No excuses." and get over yourself!

And, again, amazon: one piece jogger. Hides the thighs and doesn't ride up to show your belly like the Tankinis will. Tankinis are great for thin women and those who aren't actually swimming in deep water. A fat lady who sims needs a one piece suit or a one piece jogger suit. :)

I wholeheartedly agree with this too, I LOVE swimming and would elect to do this every day if I could. Doesn't even feel like exercise until the very end when you try to climb out and walk.
  • trajanAz
    trajanAz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice in here, but I'd also add the sooner you can add strength training to the mix the better. I don't feel qualified to give specific advice because I leave the details to my trainer, but adding lifting has been vital for me and I had more to lose than you weigh when I first went to the gym. So believe me it's nothing you can't do. :)
  • hamminit
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement everyone!
  • lexilu823
    Options
    This is probably repetitive at this point, but:

Walking is a great, low-impact way to start off. If you work in an office environment, bring a lunch and use your lunch break for a walk. Or go for a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood after dinner. I'm trying to do the same, it's just hard to get going in this cold weather!

Swimming is also great, but it's a little cold out to be doing that right now.. If you're interested in joining a gym, find one with a pool. They typically have those pool floaty weights too for when you are ready to incorporate weights into your exercise, but still need the low-impact on your knees.

Hope this helps! From one chunky 5'3 girl to another ;)
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Walk a little. Only as far as you are comfortable with. Increase it when you are happy, just a little bit at a time. Good luck. You will do this!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My fav for at home workouts - FREE - are the Fitness Blender ones. There are a huge number of them and all sorts of exercises for all levels. All can be found on youtube.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I started walking
    First i could only do 0.2/0.3/0.5 mile. That was how bad it was. heart racing and out of breath
    That was about 3 months ago. I did 5 to 6 days a week.
    Some days i could get the half mile some days not. But i kept going.

I worked it up and didnt give up
    Now i do:
    6 times a week an hour walking ( 3mph) And in that i jog for 3 times 10 minutes
    3 times a week i lift 30 minutes next to that.

So yes starting walking is great and take it step by step :)

I eat healthy and that is why i lose weight, the walking is to get fit. But it helps a lot and you feel better and better by each week that goes by.

I am even at the point that i long to walk/jog even on my rest day ( today) But i know my body needs to rest too.

For everybody it is different. I will never be a runner/jogger. I love biking and want to switch soon.
    But to get more active, walking is great.
    I use music for all my gym hours. and love the ME time.

Pick something you like and you will be successful!
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I started out walking 15 minutes a day - 7.5 minutes one way 7.5 minutes back. I now run three days a week and do power plates two days. Anything you can manage is a great start! Good luck!
  • hamminit
    Options
    Thanks again guys :) It's nice to know there are others out there lol
    It's also nice to get advice
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. Every week try to walk a little longer, and gradually walk a little faster. When you start to feel a little fitter, you can try adding in some hills. The point is to gradually increase what you are doing and make it more challenging. The body will very quickly adapt.