Potatoes might not be so bad!

Options
124»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are awesome. I prefer the red ones roasted with some onion in oil with salt, pepper, garlic, and italian seasoning. Oh, or soaked in oil and vinegar and then roasted.

Sweet potatoes are not lower calorie or more nutritious, they just have different nutrients and a few more calories:

i6kqhi6tayis.png

gntydi678u5h.png

If you need more Vit C or Potassium you'd be better off with the white potato. If you need more Vit A you'd be better off with the sweet potato. It depends on what you're going for.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    gle8442 wrote: »
    As someone who loves potatoes, this made me happy.

grubstreet.com/2014/12/potatoes-obesity.html

Curious if you even read the article or just the title...

Study is on mice... and using a serum derived from potatoes that equates to 30 potatoes per day (not sure how this would work either as a couldn't see a mouse eating a full potato in a day)

Anyways potatoes aren't "bad for you" they're even better for you with the skins on. How you cook them matters as does what you put on them.

Chill out, it was just a way of saying that I like potatoes but they get some bad press, so I'm happy to see evidence that they might have some health benefits, too. People normally do animal studies with stuff like this and then if it looks promising, they think about how the research might be applied to humans. It may or may not hold up but it's still interesting.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes!
    akekr0fehz0s.jpeg
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    nmckijpqtonk.gif
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Potatoes aren't bad. It's the junk people add to them - the butter, sour cream, etc. Thats the stuff that'll do you in. A little potato is great. If it's your only veggie, though, time to find some new ones! :)

Butter and sour cream are junk now?
    p1nyk85mxk0j.gif

I call them junk. Make fun if it makes you happy.

I'm not suggesting you limit them. Eat all the butter you want. Soak the potato until it's yellow. Take a stick of butter out and it eat plain. I couldn't care less. To each, his own. :)

I didn't realize being in disbelief and posting a disbelief gif is considered "making fun" of something. I shouldn't be surprised since disagreeing = bullying on here.
    oven-fried-potatoes-done.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Potatoes aren't bad. It's the junk people add to them - the butter, sour cream, etc. Thats the stuff that'll do you in. A little potato is great. If it's your only veggie, though, time to find some new ones! :)

if that "junk" makes you hit your calorie, macro, and micro goal is still junk, aka unhealthy?

sour cream and butter are junk now, really?

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Potatoes only crime is they are too tasty, and thus easy to rack up the calories if you're not careful especially with all those wonderful additions and ways to have them :wink:
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy you found that article. Given the bad rap that potatoes, and carbs in general, have been given by the media it's not hard to believe that people might not realize how healthy potatoes actually are. A few tips about eating potatoes: eat them with the skin for full nutritional benefit. Steaming is best, boiling is second best (vitamins can leach out into water) and oven baking/microwaving are not as healthy - obviously frying is the worst. Anytime a potato is heated past 248 degrees acrylamide will form. It is listed as reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen in the 13th report on carcinogens published October 2014. Check out the list: http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/content/listed_substances_508.pdf
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here is a healthy way to serve potatoes: Steam your favorite potatoes, skin on, until desired tenderness. Top with spinach and mushrooms, a sprinkle of garlic salt (or garlic powder if watching your sodium intake) and drizzle your favorite flavor of sauce over. I love barbecue sauce! You could try marinara, soy sauce, or teriyaki or your favorite salad dressing. If you want you could drizzle a small amount (1 to 2 teaspoons) of high quality extra virgin olive oil over the top for a little extra richness. This keeps me full for hours, it's healthy, delicious and nutritious!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I was waking up with charley horses until I added more potatoes to my diet. And I put shredded mozzarella and chickpeas on them one day when I was low in protein and they were actually pretty good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Here is a healthy way to serve potatoes: Steam your favorite potatoes, skin on, until desired tenderness. Top with spinach and mushrooms, a sprinkle of garlic salt (or garlic powder if watching your sodium intake) and drizzle your favorite flavor of sauce over. I love barbecue sauce! You could try marinara, soy sauce, or teriyaki or your favorite salad dressing. If you want you could drizzle a small amount (1 to 2 teaspoons) of high quality extra virgin olive oil over the top for a little extra richness. This keeps me full for hours, it's healthy, delicious and nutritious!

why can't you just roast them with olive oil and rose mary?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I just made (s)mashed potatoes out of 400g of them, with 30g of butter and a splash of milk. Mixed with 100g of red lentils and a can of hearty beef vegetable soup.

Massive bowl of food, very filling, and a great way to round out the day's calorie allotment.

:drinker:
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I just made (s)mashed potatoes out of 400g of them, with 30g of butter and a splash of milk. Mixed with 100g of red lentils and a can of hearty beef vegetable soup.

Massive bowl of food, very filling, and a great way to round out the day's calorie allotment.

That made me hungry, sounds pretty nice.

Potatoes are awesome, I eat them all the time - white and sweet potato. I have never heard anyone say they're bad.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    watto1980 wrote: »

Potatoes are awesome, I eat them all the time - white and sweet potato. I have never heard anyone say they're bad.

I hear all the time how bad potatoes are. Because potatoes turn to sugar, and sugar turns to fat! I'm skinny and eat potatoes all the time, no problem. Then it was suggested to me I must have a special ability to digest carb-y foods. I just said yes, that's probably it.

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Well, I certainly won't feel as guilty everytime I have a red potato anymore. (About 1-2x/week.)

The russet potato, by itself, is only about 100 calories. How you prepare it and what toppings you put on it can up the calorie load.

Baking or steaming is kinder to the calorie load. The butter, sour cream, and other toppings add calories (how much depends on what and how much you use).

I noticed earlier that a certain First Lady discouraged eating white potatoes in favor of sweet potatoes. There is nothing wrong with potatoes by themselves.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    watto1980 wrote: »

I hear all the time how bad potatoes are. Because potatoes turn to sugar, and sugar turns to fat! I'm skinny and eat potatoes all the time, no problem. Then it was suggested to me I must have a special ability to digest carb-y foods. I just said yes, that's probably it.

Everyone in my family thinks carbs are *bad* They are going to be shocked as anything when I go visit in the summer and I tell them (because they will ask) that I lost weight eating mostly carbs.
    I can hear something like this coming out of my mother's mouth. =)
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The paleo craze made people think potatoes were bad...even though in paleolithic times people did eat potatoes :o ....I eat a big russet several times a week, I'm not overweight, i still have defined abs, in facts as a ballet dancer the potassium is great for my muscles and i get a great boost!