Hello! what can I do for a work out when you are way overweight and soooooooo out of shape?

Options

Replies

• bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would say walking. I am pretty heavy starting to walk more since I got my fitbit; I also do my walking cd when its to cold outside.
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    when i was super out of shape (and didn't want people to see me struggling just walking) i did about 8 minute on a stationary bike, then 12, then 15 etc. elliptical machines are also great for building up leg strength without being high-impact.
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    walking, Leslie Sansone 1 mile indoor (walks), ellen barrett has some that are more do-able than others (one about killed me)...jessica smith has some freebies on youtube(can also sometimes find a 1 mile leslie or just do 1 mile of whatever of hers you find on there and add a cooldown on your own...there's also an exercise series that was on PBS called 'sit and be fit'
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Walking is best. Start out slow. Remember small goals are best. Make sure you have some great music to listen to. Have fun.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also started out walking, on a treadmill, and now I walk fast on a treadmill and also do powerlifting. (Stronglifts 5x5). When I got on the treadmill the first time I could barely keep my balance, that's how out of shape I was. Walking one mile at a moderate pace made me very sweaty! 80 pounds lost and nine months later, I am much more comfortable, can walk for a long time without breaking a sweat, can run up and down the stairs at work, and I plan to start running outside this next Spring. Best of luck to you!!
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh, also, I agree with the standing part. My brother's boyfriend is very fit, and he is fond of saying "You sit, you die!" when he, who stands any chance he gets, is offered a seat by someone. It is true that sitting for long periods increases one's mortality, and it is important, if one has a desk job, to get up every hour or two. I have taken to standing during work meetings, and whenever possible, even if it looks a bit funny to be standing. People have observed my weight loss so they seem to understand why I am doing it. I also bought a Fitbit to track my steps and I have a very firm rule about getting 10K steps daily. When I first got the Fitbit I was only getting about 4K daily.
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is my personal secret to lose inches, so don't laugh. When you walk, if you wrap your troubled areas with saran wrap (several times) you will lose more inches and melt more fat faster. I went from a size 24 to a size 8 in 7 months using this method.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A motivation for me is to see what time my favorite shows come on and go to the gym during that time to watch while I'm doing the elliptical or walking. Otherwise I'll just be home watching them on the couch. I also love classes so that's a great motivation for me as well.
  • Lil_Miss_Dotti
    Options
    Way back when I first started exercising, I started just dancing in my bedroom to music. I tried to do bouncy twist type when I could but it took me a while to build it up. Eventually I moved to small amounts of running mixed with walking and gradually built it up. I also started doing light weights from the beginning. I just found a routine in a magazine and it did seem to actually make a difference while not feeling quite so hard as the cardio at that point.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    When you walk, if you wrap your troubled areas with saran wrap (several times) you will lose more inches and melt more fat faster.
    I think you should wrap your hands in saran wrap. It will make it much more difficult to post this nonsense over and over again.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Walking, longer walking (increase distance), then faster walking, then faster and longer walking, then C25K (free running app) which eases you slowly into running. Weight training, elliptical...

I started from being out of shape last April to now running half marathons and now training for a full marathon! (I am soon turning 50)

Best of luck
    Stef.

Pretty much the same for me and also swam quite a lot starting in Apr-13. Done 6 half marathons in 2014 and have 2 marathons in the diary for this year.

Most importantly though is find something you enjoy as you're more likely to stick with it. I gave everything 4 weeks as knew I was very unfit so anything was going to be hard work at first. If, after giving it enough time for my fitness to improve, I still disliked it I tried something else. For example the elliptical went as soon as I started enjoying running, I disliked kettlebells but liked 'normal' weights.

Good luck :)
  • JenPc1978
    Options
    Thank you for all your great advice and time I'll try it out!! :-:-) :-) :-) :-) thank you so much!!!!!
  • drs64
    drs64 Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I started MFP i began the couch to 5k program at the same time. I highly recommend it. Its designed around being super out of shape and it will help you gradually increase your cardio/running.

When I did the program I just downloaded the app, put on some music, and did whatever the time interval was they said. Speed was not something that I even considered, so long as I finished the interval, I was happy with it.

In 8 weeks I went from jogging 60 seconds intervals to 30 minute run (~2.5 mi). After I finished the program I slowly kept increasing like the program had and now 7 months later I'm up to 5mi 3x a week (~45min).

The point is, start small, start slow, but be consistent and push to challenge yourself. At the start it might feel like you'll never survive the 8 weeks, or that those 60sec intervals will accomplish nothing. But they will. Just stick with it.

Edit: If I had read all the posts before replying I would've noticed someone mentioned this app already haha. Good Luck!
  • JenPc1978
    Options
    I can't find the right app do u have any suggestions? :-) thank You! I
    Would love to try it!
  • JenPc1978
    Options
    What is the MFP app?
  • 1roximom
    1roximom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Walking is always good. Low impact, and you can turn around whenever you start to feel tired.

I also started doing kettlebells, which are great because there are free videos online (I use this one with like...5 and 10 lb kettlebells). You don't have to leave your house, it doesn't involve a lot of jumping or anything, it's only 10 minutes. And I'm not gonna lie, I felt it immediately after doing the workout.

• 1roximom
    1roximom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you that sounds like something i could actually do.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JenPc1978 wrote: »
    What is the MFP app?

it's the calorie counting app- you load on your phone through your regular app thing. (Play store) and it allows you to track you're calories on your phone.

• JenPc1978
    Options
    Ah okay thank you :-)
  • samantha0703
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with walking! It may be boring, but grab a friend or if you're on a treadmill watch some TV. Today I grabbed my laptop and spent 45 minutes watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians to keep me distracted. Also, if you go to www.blogilates.com Cassey has a beginners workout calendar that you can follow and she also has other calendars you can follow every month. I love her positivity :)