Any vegetarians or pseudo-vegetarians?

Options
LAMCDylan
LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
Hey everyone,

Before I got into calorie counting and serious weight loss I ate a diet that was high in veggies, fruits, seeds, some grains, legumes, seaweed, and occasionally some fish or poultry. However, I only ate fish/poultry about 2-3 times a week. What I discovered was I was not getting enough protein. So I switched to eating a lot more poultry and fish with the addition of goat milk yogurt. With this diet I am still struggling to get the high amount of protein I need. Unlike some people I care what goes into my body. I stay away from red meats, dairy, artificial sweeteners, added sugar, preservatives, peanuts, etc. And I try to eat whole foods or minimally processed foods.

I make it a point to eat one salad a day. I also have a morning smoothie where I add veggies. I have a higher value on internal health rather than aesthetics. Some people will do whatever it takes to look good but at the cost of having high cholesterol, high blood pressure, vitamin deficiencies, and other issues.

Anyway, now that this is out of the way I want to know how do some of you people get enough protein? Is it possible to have meatless days? Besides nuts, seeds, legumes, sprouts, and egg whites, what do you do? One thing that is driving me crazy is protein density. Apparently not all proteins are created equal. Non-meat sources usually are not as efficient. You need a higher amount of them. So it makes me question if I am getting the indicated protein on some labels or if some of them are not complete. I know quinoa is complete, egg whites as well. How about plant based protein powder? Who uses them? Is it a complete protein? Looking to learn from you.

Thanks

Replies

• tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I struggled getting enough protein in each day while eating a strict vegan diet. My body doesn't tolerate soy or legumes, so my protein options were very limited. I then added back in eggs and fish. I still wasn't getting enough, so back in came chicken and turkey. I try to stay away from red meat still as it tends be inflammatory. I tried the vegan diet for performance/recovery purposes, but it just didn't work to my best advantage. My body performs better with a slightly higher protein intake. I use Vega Sports protein in my shakes, or Hemp Protein or hemp hearts. I eat about an egg a day, plus some sort of organic, grass fed chicken or turkey, and wild caught salmon or tilapia.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me apart from the soy and legume intolerance. I use chia seeds, hemp seeds, quinoa, sprouts, and hemp proteins a lot. I tried to go the vegan route but I did not get enough protein. Ever since that I have been sort of a pseudo-vegetarian. I don't mind eating the eggs, fish, and poultry, just wondering if I could have meatless and eggless days and somehow get 200+ grams of protein a day. But I am thinking I am going to need a protein powder supplement.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians who are eating beans, lentils, nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and vegetables like swiss chard, spinach, kale, broccoli, and brussel sprouts get enough protein Depending on the daily calorie limit, there might not be room in the plan to add rice or bread or anything else with minimum protein.
    Some days I use this protein powder: Growing Naturals Organic Rice Protein Chocolate

This explains the misunderstanding about "complete proteins"
    rawfoodexplained.com/proteins/complete-proteins.html
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and have been for 2 years. It's not difficult to get enough protein if you think outside the box and mix it up. Lots of lentils, beans, nuts, seeds, dairy products, eggs, brown rice, faux meat products or tufu, etc.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I am only finding it more difficult now because I'm limiting my calories. I have to be much more conscious of what I eat. Currently tweaking my diet and subbing out low protein items for higher ones. Seriously thinking about a protein powder as well. For ethical reasons, I don't ever see myself going back to eating meat/dairy. Even though my protein levels are low, it has not had a noticeable effect on my health/energy or endurance.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Unlike some people I care what goes into my body. I stay away from red meats, dairy, artificial sweeteners, added sugar, preservatives, peanuts, etc. And I try to eat whole foods or minimally processed foods.

this is so incredibly rude and uneducated.

Wish you the best of luck my friend- because with that attitude- you're going to have a fun time.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Before I got into calorie counting and serious weight loss I ate a diet that was high in veggies, fruits, seeds, some grains, legumes, seaweed, and occasionally some fish or poultry. However, I only ate fish/poultry about 2-3 times a week. What I discovered was I was not getting enough protein. So I switched to eating a lot more poultry and fish with the addition of goat milk yogurt. With this diet I am still struggling to get the high amount of protein I need. Unlike some people I care what goes into my body. I stay away from red meats, dairy, artificial sweeteners, added sugar, preservatives, peanuts, etc. And I try to eat whole foods or minimally processed foods.

I make it a point to eat one salad a day. I also have a morning smoothie where I add veggies. I have a higher value on internal health rather than aesthetics. Some people will do whatever it takes to look good but at the cost of having high cholesterol, high blood pressure, vitamin deficiencies, and other issues.

Anyway, now that this is out of the way I want to know how do some of you people get enough protein? Is it possible to have meatless days? Besides nuts, seeds, legumes, sprouts, and egg whites, what do you do? One thing that is driving me crazy is protein density. Apparently not all proteins are created equal. Non-meat sources usually are not as efficient. You need a higher amount of them. So it makes me question if I am getting the indicated protein on some labels or if some of them are not complete. I know quinoa is complete, egg whites as well. How about plant based protein powder? Who uses them? Is it a complete protein? Looking to learn from you.

Thanks

I find this whole post to be quite rude, with emphasis on the bolded parts.

I'd love to know who all these people are that "don't care" about what goes into their body and are "only about the aesthetics rather than health".

Consuming red meat and dairy doesn't make one unhealthy. You're views are the reason why so many vegetarians/vegans get a bad rap.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    pseudo-vegetarians
    People who want the smug sense of superiority that comes from being a vegetarian but still want to eat meat?

H6CW8SL6vgVb2.gif
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Unlike some people I care what goes into my body. I stay away from red meats, dairy, artificial sweeteners, added sugar, preservatives, peanuts, etc. And I try to eat whole foods or minimally processed foods.

this is so incredibly rude and uneducated.

Wish you the best of luck my friend- because with that attitude- you're going to have a fun time.

I found that statement rude as well, and I AM a vegetarian. I care about what goes into my body as much as anyone else. I refuse to obsess about it however.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    also I eat salad because I like salad. Not because I making some AMAZING SACRIFICE.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    also I eat salad because I like salad. Not because I making some AMAZING SACRIFICE.

LOL. Same. And I'm not a vegetarian. I love a good salad. I LOVE vegetables. But, apparently, I don't care about my body because I also eat beef and peanut butter.
  • adjadj83
    adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year. I use plant based protein powders in my smoothies. There are many awesome vegetable soups that you can throw beans into. When all else fails add egg whites to your diet for a great bioavailable protein source.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Op can i ask how you gained your weight?
    You probably didnt mean it, but if you re read your OP it doesnt come out pleasant at all. It actually reads like you are above the rest of us. Also nothing wrong with looking nice. Havent come across anyone who only care about looks. I mostly come across people who want to look good and good health comes as a bonus.
  • siljebergen
    siljebergen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found this article to be very informative and to the point, referring to studies, regarding vegan protein: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I’m a Veggie - and I mean a proper one I don’t eat any meat which includes fish or any sea life too. I do find getting enough protein can be difficult but not impossible. I have noticed that even some meat eaters aren’t getting enough either so it’s not just a veggie vegan thing.

I guess it’s the same for everyone - if you want more protein look at what you eat and increase it to include as many high sources of protein as you can. I do that; I do use Whey protein as I’m building my muscles up. Long answer short - just do some research and you'll find ways to increase your protein meat eater, veggie or vegan.

As for people that eat red meat not being healthy - well like anything it depends how much of it you eat, i wouldnt say being "a vegetarian" automatically makes you healthier. I know plenty of veggies who eat fast food and drink sugary drinks - they are veggies but not healthy ones - not by a country mile!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

LOL. Same. And I'm not a vegetarian. I love a good salad. I LOVE vegetables. But, apparently, I don't care about my body because I also eat beef and peanut butter.

LOL- I eat salad because I like salad's too- I just don't eat them all the time because you know- I like to eat lots of things.

But apparently I don't care about myself unlike other people who do.

OP- I wonder- did you order that sense of self righteousness- whole foods? trader joes? teva teas? I mean where can you get that... or did you just pick it up along the freeway when you were walking from one place to the other?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian who eats poultry and fish? So... an omnivore, then?
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    P.S. "pseudo-vegetarians" are just insulting to vegetarians; you either eat meat or you dont - end of.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    A vegetarian who eats poultry and fish? So... an omnivore, then?

I believe the correct term is flexitarian. We learned this in a thread a few months back. It's the hipster way.