Did you always have a weight problem or no?

Options

Replies

• bugabaer
    bugabaer Posts: 15
    Options
    My weight problems didn't really kick in until after I had my first child in 1999. Before thin, I was always kind of thin. Could eat anything I wanted pretty much. But when I delivered I was 180lbs. It took me a while to lose the weight, and when I finally did, I became pregnant with my son in 2002. I've been a size 12-14 ever since. I think I'm about 5ft 6. I've been 180lbs for the past year or so. I've lost about 10 lbs this year. (I've been vegetarian since Jan 2011) So now I'm hovering at 170lbs or so. So no, I didn't always have a weight problem, but a lot of my adult life (I will be 31 yrs on June 6 ) I've struggled. I'm not as active as I used to be, I drink way more than I used to, both of those things affecting my metabolism i'm sure. Well, I'm looking forward to being 150lbs or so again one day. I'll keep yall posted!

thanks for listening :-)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Nope, always ate whatever I wanted and it just burned off. Then I hit about 36, got really sick and lost way too much weight (intestinal issue), and gained it back quickly, had another bout two yrs later and gained it back again too quickly and now at
    40, have a belly and for the first time in my life am considered overweight according to BMI charts. Very hard to accept but am
    figuring either my metabolism got ruined forever from the rapid loss/gain or old age is setting in :mad:
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    I was perfectly fine until I gained weight when pregnant. I carried the 25 pounds of "baby weight" for 10 years, but it stayed steady, The last ten years has been a slow creep up of 30 more pounds. Last year I passed the 30 BMI number and I am now obese. Now my youngest baby is graduating high school. It is time to take care of myself. I will get the BMI back to overweight in another week or two.

I know if I stick to what I am supposed to do, it will come back off and stay fairly steady. It is just a matter of sticking to it.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    nope, i was always in pretty good shape until about 21, then i began having serious relationships and the time that i normally spent in the gym, was spent on dates and all that stuff. my eating habits have always been terrible so that combined with less and less activity caused my high metabolism to slow down and i gained about 10 lbs a year, over the years it caught up with me
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I was never fat, but all the women in my family have struggled with eating disorders, and obesity thier ENTIRE lives, done the yo yo dieting

you name a diet, they have done it!

I just didn't want to suffer my whole life doing that, My senior year I noticed I had a problem because I was depressed and so I ate chocolate (my weakness) to battle that depression, after I graduated I started doing something about it! here I am, three years later, still improving my health and I am crazier about it now than I was when I was 15 pounds heavier...

Its all about perspective, i joined this website for PREVENTION. and that is what I intend to do. I don't want to screw my hormones and chemicles and mind and body up to a point that they dont' know what signals to send where, so that is why I joined.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem until I got depressed and began trying to eat my problems away. That was only a couple years ago and I gained SO much
  • kalelwifey
    kalelwifey Posts: 172
    Options
    i have been big my wholeee life...the first time i remember paying attention to pants size...i was a size 16-18 in 7th gradee!
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ever really fat but even when I played soccer and ran track and whatever age I was. . I always hated my belly. I wasn't fat but never really had a waist. All my fat went to my belly or core area and I didn't like my shape. I didn't know how to lose weight except for running, but that never changed me enough.

Doing low carb/low sugar PLUS learning how to work out with weights, cables, machines, etc. . THAT changed things for the better. I wish someone taught me that stuff in high school. I learned around age 28.
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I was the person that could eat 2 whoppers and loose weight so when I got pregnant I thought nothing of it and ate WHATEVER I wanted. BIG mistake. Gained 60lbs and took me a year to slowly loose it. Was much more careful with my 2nd pregnancy and only gained 35 lbs but once I had her I only went down 15 lbs and I could never seem to loose the last 20 so here I am 3 yrs later loosing the last 20lbs plus 5 more that I put on. Boo for getting older and slower metabolism! lol
  • gardea
    gardea Posts: 75
    Options
    Nope. I was always thin. When I got married the first time I was about 130 and Im 5 ft. 3.5in. About 2.5 years into my marriage I got pretty unhappy. I was 21 and going to the bars and drinking and eating everything. I got up to 181 by the end of our 5 year marriage. I lost 40 lbs in a month drinking diet pepsi, exercising 2 to 4 hours a day, and smoking. My husband had cheated on me and the marriage was over. I couldn't make myself eat and was really depressed. The working out thing was only an avoidance of our home. I met my current husband in that stage and after a few months of dating and finding I could be happy again, I went up to 150 until I had our son about 2 years after we met. That got me up to 200 lb. Then I lost 20 lbs the right way and was 160 lb, but a size 8 when he finally talked me into getting married. I stayed at 160 until I had my daughter and got back up to 201. She is almost 3 and I have bounced back and forth between 190 and 200. In January, a patient at my office asked me when I was due. I decided to make a change right then and there, lol. Since the end of January I went from just about 200 down to 182 currently. I'd take 160 again, but would love to see if i can get to 140 again just for fun. I don't want to be thin-thin. I love my shapely curves, but I do want to be tight and fit again. I will get there. It will just take a little while.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    nope, I was skinny, graduated high school at 135 lbs, played basketball and volleyball and ate whatever i wanted. started sitting on my butt all day in an office still eating the same way i always have (probably worse since then i had a paycheck to spend on eating out!) and ballooned up to 200 lbs. been going up and down ever since.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was always TEASED about being chubby but the fact of the matter is that I was in the 20th percentile for growth until I was 8 or 9 and then was healthy weight until I hit puberty. Once I started my period and puberty started I gained 100lbs in 1 year... I've hovered right around the weight ever since. It's not been until now that I am figuring out that my weight issues are hormone related. So no I wasn't always fat and now I'm starting to understand that it really wasn't anything I was doing "wrong" just didn't have all the facts.
  • jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes!! It started the day I was born. I weighed in at 10#10oz and 24" long. I have always been on the heavy side but I was within the "normal" range of BMI through college but I was at the heavy side. I did not cross over into the overweight and the obese range until my early 20's.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I was always thin - around 135 @ 5"7 until my late 20's (I am 37 now). Gained and lost my baby weight no trouble (2x) but a few years ago, I got hit by a car while riding my bike (the only time I ever used a bike lane in my life, and some idiot decides to run a red light). I was on crutches for 3 months, and had a lot of trouble rehabilitating the ankle - and from there, just ballooned since I was used to not really watching what I ate / drank ... being relatively immobile killed my metabolism =(

Then one day, I woke up and got on the scale and realized I was 252lbs - I have been working to lose it since Jan 2010. I vow to get back to my old self someday (or at least considering age and activity level, a healthy bmi range!)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I have never had a weight problem until I got pregnant. I am 5'10 and always been thin but also have always been consious so it never got out of control. I was 125 in college and was WAY too thin. I weighed 140-145 when I got pregnant. I gained 60 lbs and lost all but 20 after about 8 months. I really have not tried very hard to lose the last 20 until I started here. But now, I've lost the last 20 and weigh less than I did before I got pregnant, now 135!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I was skinny till I got married. Now that I'm getting divorced I'm losing weight again.
  • Hellsbells42
    Options
    I never had a weight problem until I entered menopause. Plus, I lost my job, sat at the PC all day and ate chocolate.
    I'm still not what you'd call overweight, but my body fat percentage is too high, and my clothes don't fit any more.
    So now I set about to get my normal weight back.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    everytime i went to the doctors i was told to lose weight -even when i was in the normal weight BMI category. I used to think i was fat, now i want to be that size! lol!

Same with me, even as a child when I was borderline BMI, I was always very small... looking back its weird to me that even when it comes to a child, they don't ever consider body composition and just label you as "overweight"
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No. I don't think I ever had a weight problem. My highest weight was 175, I'm 5'7 1/2 so still then I was fine, a few pounds heavy. I'm 143 now, just trying to tone now
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't. I'm grew up in the 60's and 70's when most kids and teenagers were thin. I could name the overweight kids in my school because they were so few that everyone knew them. I gained weight slowly over the years as an adult. I'd yo-yo between overweight and a good size, but it seemed with each yo-yo the upper end got a little bit more "upper". So, I'm not dieting anymore. I'm eating healthy and exercising because I don't want to be one of those old people that has to pop a handful of pills just to keep my BP, glucose and lipids in line. I don't worry about calories nearly as much has I do saturated fat, cholesterol and nutrients. And it seems to be working just fine so far. :smile: