Struggling to get in recommended water intake. Anyone have any ideas of how to get that dreaded wat

Options

Replies

• wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have two 22 oz. water bottles that I drink from throughout the day, and refill when empty. Also, there is an app for smartphones that will remind you throughout the day to drink, if you are having trouble remembering. Try Hydrate Daily.
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The only way I have been able to get mine in is to pack the # of bottles in my bag everyday that equal up to the amount I want to take in..my goal is to make sure I bring home all those bottles empty at the end of the day. Sometimes I may use my water bottle as well. But this is what has worked for me. Good luck!! :)
  • kay1373
    Options
    Drinking water was hard for me, I found a cute tall travel mug on it. Holds one 16.9 Fl oz of water. Keeps me going cause I love how cute it is I just want to pick it up... I'm a girl what can I say
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I rarely feel thirsty, so going by how my body feels means I can go 2+ weeks drinking only my morning coffee (and super dehydrated from lack of thirst queues). I stay home most days, so when I make coffee, I also grab a fresh pint glass and fill that up and put it near where I will be that day (if I'm cleaning, I set it down in the room I'm in. When I see it, I take a gulp. I try not to let it go dry. That gets a good 4-6 cups into me.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you are having this much trouble just drinking water, what is your plan to overcome all the obstacles in the way of losing 50 pounds?

the only thing standing between us and our water intake (a lot of which comes from food, anyway) is our own excuse and foot-stomping.

that's silly and can be set aside, just like when we dont want to take medicine.

some parts of taking care of ourselves sucks. having to go brush your teeth before you get in bed. dragging your feet to do laundry. taking a bath...

but we do these things because we are adults.

some things, like getting enough water and nutrients, somehow got thrown under the rug when we were younger and we just need to fix that bad habit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    If you are having this much trouble just drinking water, what is your plan to overcome all the obstacles in the way of losing 50 pounds?

the only thing standing between us and our water intake (a lot of which comes from food, anyway) is our own excuse and foot-stomping.

that's silly and can be set aside, just like when we dont want to take medicine.

some parts of taking care of ourselves sucks. having to go brush your teeth before you get in bed. dragging your feet to do laundry. taking a bath...

but we do these things because we are adults.

some things, like getting enough water and nutrients, somehow got thrown under the rug when we were younger and we just need to fix that bad habit.

^^^

she knows.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    eek53uddbs1t.jpeg

Just stay hydrated. The whole 8x8 fluid ounces of water is a good guideline...but that's all it is...it's a reasonably good guideline to keep you hydrated, not some magical number or hard and fast rule.

You're also hydrating with other fluids as well as your food. If you're not dehydrated, you're fine...
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    I made myself a rule--go to the bathroom, drink a glass of water after. I do this even if I get up at night. It's water out--water in. It doesn't matter if you like tea or other non-sugary drinks better. Organization is the key to drinking enough fluids.
    That may be the most nonsensical rule I've ever heard.

Way to be supportive of others..
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I use a 32oz bottle, squeeze a half a lemon into it, add about 1/4-1/2tsp of fresh grated ginger and fill it up with water. I could drink that stuff all day.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    i hate water. hate. hate. (did i mention hate?)
    honestly i used to not drink it at all. i could go days without actually drinking any. (of course i had liquids in foods + drank tea or sodas so i wasn't dying...) anyway, my friend just started me on a new 24-day eating/diet plan b/c he is starting a new career in the health field. it requires me to drink 12 cups of water per day. UGH! i bought some of those little water enhancers (Kool Aid has a great grape!) and they probably aren't the best things in the world, but they get me to drink my water. i also add fresh lemon juice/lime juice. the easiest way for me is to start at 6:00 a.m. and drink one cup. at 7:00, have another. keep going and have one on the hour, every hour. i can get 11 or 12 cups by day's end. :smile:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    joeporta wrote: »
    I find if I drink 'look-warm' water it is easier drank. Three quarter fill ur glass with normal water and top it off with boiling water.

i agree with this. i hate cold water. i have very sensitive teeth so i can't drink anything with ice. i usually set-out my pitcher full of water the night before so it's room temperature by the next day.

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Try using a straw. It sounds funny but definitely works for me :)

again, agree. very good advice.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    Teal4me wrote: »
    IDEAS?

Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't. It's really that simple. There is no real "recommended" water amount. There are a lot of arbitrary amounts tossed around, but medically, your body does a perfectly good job of telling you it's thirsty.

Plus you get hydration from soda, tea, coffee, juice, milk, food, etc. no reason to arbitrarily try and force yourself to drink a specific amount of just water every day. Besides, the actual amount you may need will vary depending on activity level, weather, and other factors.

if you are thirsty then you are already getting dehydrated

And? The body regulates hydration through osmosis. If you aren't a little dehydrated, then drinking won't accomplish anything, the water will pass right through your system without being used and you'll do nothing but waste water and your time. Thirst is a direct physiological response to a change in osmotic balance, and it's the most accurate and efficient system to use.

Not to mention, over hydrating is just as dangerous as under hydrating. Hyponaetremia, may want to look into it.
  • tigersword
    Options
    i hate water. hate. hate. (did i mention hate?)
    honestly i used to not drink it at all. i could go days without actually drinking any. (of course i had liquids in foods + drank tea or sodas so i wasn't dying...) anyway, my friend just started me on a new 24-day eating/diet plan b/c he is starting a new career in the health field. it requires me to drink 12 cups of water per day. UGH! i bought some of those little water enhancers (Kool Aid has a great grape!) and they probably aren't the best things in the world, but they get me to drink my water. i also add fresh lemon juice/lime juice. the easiest way for me is to start at 6:00 a.m. and drink one cup. at 7:00, have another. keep going and have one on the hour, every hour. i can get 11 or 12 cups by day's end. :smile:

Why would anyone tell you to drink 12 cups of water? The medical recommendation is approximately 2.5 liters a day, of which about a third comes from food. The rest comes from whatever your liquid of choice is and generally works out to about 7 cups (roughly 3.5 pints.)

Anything over that is just a waste, unless you're extremely active and need to replace fluids from sweat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    IDEAS?

Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't. It's really that simple. There is no real "recommended" water amount. There are a lot of arbitrary amounts tossed around, but medically, your body does a perfectly good job of telling you it's thirsty.

Plus you get hydration from soda, tea, coffee, juice, milk, food, etc. no reason to arbitrarily try and force yourself to drink a specific amount of just water every day. Besides, the actual amount you may need will vary depending on activity level, weather, and other factors.

And? The body regulates hydration through osmosis. If you aren't a little dehydrated, then drinking won't accomplish anything, the water will pass right through your system without being used and you'll do nothing but waste water and your time. Thirst is a direct physiological response to a change in osmotic balance, and it's the most accurate and efficient system to use.

Not to mention, over hydrating is just as dangerous as under hydrating. Hyponaetremia, may want to look into it.
    I think you might've phrased that poorly. I don't think you meant to say what you actually said.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    IDEAS?
    Drink some water.

Put it into a glass, and then drink it down.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    IDEAS?

I think you might've phrased that poorly. I don't think you meant to say what you actually said.

I meant exactly what I said, but I would love to here why you think I didn't.

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif
  • tigersword
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    IDEAS?
    Drink some water.

Put it into a glass, and then drink it down.

You stop that crazy talk. Stop it right now.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    The second thing I do in the morning is drink 2 8oz glasses of water. After that it's tea, coffee or beer. I'm nicely hydrated thank you.

Just an aside - of course if you are exercising you should drink more, or if it's hot out.

Common sense - my favourite oxymoron.