I can't drink milk.

Options
2»

Replies

• zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Yes (I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome), I usually use lactose-free milk or almond milk.
  • Evelynnn2014
    Options
    I WISH I were unable to drink milk. Milk with cereal is my biggest weakness and the cause of most of my weight gain.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Here is the lactose content of many forms of dairy. If you find yourself having trouble with one end of the list more than the other, you may be lactose intolerant. Talk with your doctor. Lactose intolerance varies from individual to individual. Some people are okay with hard cheeses but can't drink milk. Some people (like me) cannot even have the smallest amount of any dairy without taking the lactase enzyme.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I love almond milk but I don't drink it too often. I though it was kind of strange that I could eat cheese all day and the minute I at cereal I was in pain.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I suspect it is lactose intolerance. You can take a lactase enzyme (like Lactaid or the generic equivelent) if you are interested in continuing to drink dairy milk. Ladtaid also makes a milk that is lactose free. I would read the label carefully, though, some version of it have carageenan in it, which can also upset the stomach (at least it does for me).
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Here is the lactose content of many forms of dairy. If you find yourself having trouble with one end of the list more than the other, you may be lactose intolerant. Talk with your doctor. Lactose intolerance varies from individual to individual. Some people are okay with hard cheeses but can't drink milk. Some people (like me) cannot even have the smallest amount of any dairy without taking the lactase enzyme.
    Oops I didn't actually paste the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_content_of_foods
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My husband and I used to be like this. He switched to soy milk and I switched to Almond milk and we have been fine since. I was never lactose intolerant, as my family drank milk from a local dairy everyday, but when I moved out and stopped drinking as much milk, it seems that my body started to get irritated by it more. Its a plus that I find Almond milk much tastier than regular milk! Try alternatives!

Have you researched the effects of soy products on men/boys? Sounds like there's some things to worry about there, especially if you make them a staple in your diet.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yeah I HATE milk! I have switched to almond or coconut milk. I have also discovered ice cream made with almond and coconut milk. YUM!!!!
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Could be whey intolerance. Cheese and cream removes the whey protein and retains the casein protein.