New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
Anybody else out there just start NROLFW, i was looking throught the group but didn't get any responses....

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    CHANGED MY GOSH DARN LIFE AND A HALF.
  • aedaniels89
    aedaniels89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started on Saturday! Still sore so I am excited to continue!
  • poodlenoodlemuffin
    poodlenoodlemuffin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Got the book just before Christmas. Haven't tried the workouts yet, but it all makes a lot of sense. Looks like it's going to be helpful!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

axzgww.jpg

• noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm starting in the spring after my knee replacement. Can't wait!!!
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just picked up the book from the library and am starting it now. I am enjoying lifting weights.
  • kclay1021
    kclay1021 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of this - is this just a book for woman just starting to lift weights? I started lifting in july but would probably benefit from a book on the basics!!!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Ditto. It might possibly be the best thing I've ever done for myself.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading the book and completed stage 1.
    I looked ahead at the program and determined that it was too complicated for my liking and would be difficult to complete given the equipment I had available. With stage 1, I was already having to make some substitutions and criss-cross the gym just to complete it.

BUT it got me lifting. I switched to SL after Stage 1, ICF 5x5 for a bit before an injury and have gone back to SL/ICF (training for half marathons)
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hoping to get the book and start in the next month or two. I have been doing Stronglifts for a year now, and although I am enjoying it I feel like I need a change.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Just ordered the book - it should arrive later this week!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Hoping to get the book and start in the next month or two. I have been doing Stronglifts for a year now, and although I am enjoying it I feel like I need a change.

Not to disuade you, but look at ICF 5x5 as well.
    it's like SL but has some isolation work added to it
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    I enjoyed reading the book and completed stage 1.
    I looked ahead at the program and determined that it was too complicated for my liking and would be difficult to complete given the equipment I had available. With stage 1, I was already having to make some substitutions and criss-cross the gym just to complete it.

BUT it got me lifting. I switched to SL after Stage 1, ICF 5x5 for a bit before an injury and have gone back to SL/ICF (training for half marathons)

Yeah I read it and thought it was a great read, and a fun one. Too complicated for me as well (and I wasn't really a beginner so I couldn't figure out how to adjust it to my needs best). It seems like a good program though. Happy lifting ladies!
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Not to disuade you, but look at ICF 5x5 as well.
    it's like SL but has some isolation work added to it

Awesome! Thank you for the tip, I will look into it. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good reference book due to the exercises in the back. I ended up not following the program because it was a bit complicated and because I didn't like the rep scheme (starting at 15 and working down didn't click with me.) But I always recommend it to brand new lifters.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Got the book just before Christmas. Haven't tried the workouts yet, but it all makes a lot of sense. Looks like it's going to be helpful!
    The book looks like a textbook. A real turnoff (to me). I think SL 5x5 seems way easier for a beginner.

• aedaniels89
    aedaniels89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think it is a good reference book due to the exercises in the back. I ended up not following the program because it was a bit complicated and because I didn't like the rep scheme (starting at 15 and working down didn't click with me.) But I always recommend it to brand new lifters.

I am new to lifting and it does seem complicated. But I am hoping to stick it out to the end. Would you recommend Stronglifts after completing NROLFW? I don't know anything about SL and was wondering how it compares to NR. Thanks!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I am new to lifting and it does seem complicated. But I am hoping to stick it out to the end. Would you recommend Stronglifts after completing NROLFW? I don't know anything about SL and was wondering how it compares to NR. Thanks!

I have never done SL. I started out with a personal trainer who worked up a program for me. Then I switched over to AllPro's Simple Beginner Program. Now I do Greyskull LP for upper body and Strong Curves Gorgeous Glutes for lower body.

I think that any of the programs are good, you just have to find what works best for you. I like the Greyskull rep scheme (2 sets of 5 plus one set of AMRAP - as many reps as possible) better than the 5x5 of SL. And I like the varied lower body workouts from SC. I want to get stronger but I also want more flexibility and a better butt, etc. and feel like I can get that more from SC than I was getting from AllPro's. I also had some problems with the 5 week cycles for AllPro's because it seemed like every time it came to heavy weeks, I was in my weakest time of the month (right after ovulating.) The way re-sets work with Greyskull work better for me because it doesn't mean 5 weeks of repeating a weight the way it does with AllPro when you fail test week. So my best suggestion is to try something out for a month or two to get an idea of what works and doesn't work for you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Ditto. It might possibly be the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I read it twice! It wasnt boring, I learned ridiculous amounts of info that changed how i workout, changed how i see my body and what exercise does to it - best decision ever was to teach myself with that book!

and extra points for it being funny instead of condescending!
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    in..to review later