WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Wow..........I just realized we are up to ten pages and it's only the fifth!!!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note as I am at work. It will get harder for me to post here as I start my last MIS class tomorrow, (Tuesday 1/6). I want to go for my doctorate in adult education starting in the fall. We will see......

I am in charge of the safety committee here at work and we have begun safety month. I have watched the same 3 videos 3 times now and still have to show them 3 more times! Boring!!!! But, the people who complete the week's tasks will get a nice insulated drink cup this week, and get a small piece of candy for each video they watch. Just incentives but making it fun. Our safety mascots are Mr. Potato-head and Spud-head: Mr. Potato-head for good safety habits and Spud-head for safety issues. Just making the whole idea fun.

With everyone choosing a word for the year, I have found I need two:
    Moderation and Determination
    This is because in everything I do, I tend to try to over-achieve then get depressed when I don't make the goals I had for myself.

My January goals:
    1. Fix TN house and sell
    2. Taxes
    3. Exercise 20 times this month
    4. Lose 5 pounds
    All to get to my year end goals of Financial stability and lose 50 pounds.

Rita from CT
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to everyone. Sunshine here today and not too chilly. Expecting very cold (for GA) later in the week.

My mantra is "I can do this." Especially when I try to walk with my bad knees hurting.

Carol from GA
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    So cold.,but got lots done in the line in cleaning.
    Snow tonite.HUGS
    jane
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    My co-worker and I each ate a few chocolate covered peanuts, so I tried to talk her into marching "around the block" inside our building, but she refused, so I did it alone. Another 1/2 hour of work, and I will ride the exercise bike another 15 minutes, so I have officially worked out for 30 minutes again today. That's a big accomplishment for me. Go me ! ! ! Tomorrow I am seeing "Inadvertant Vice" or something like that, so I will save my calories for movie theater popcorn. Our outside temp has soared to 1 above. i am REALLY glad my car has seat warmers. B)

Terri in Milwaukee
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    OK, everybody. Have you ever wondered if your brain is working right? I do often, and today was worse than most. I just can't seem to focus on anything. I have drafting to do and just can't do it. I've looked at the e-mail telling me what they want and it's like it's written in a foreign language. It's jibberish. This particular job has been hanging over my head for about two weeks and every time I try to start it, I just can't. Even composing these sentences is harder than it ought to be. I worry that I'm getting dementia or something. I talked to hubby about it and he thinks it may be my meds. I hope he's right. It's a scary feeling. I don't have much family history of that, although my grandmother wasn't all there in her later years. She didn't know who I was the one time I was forced to visit her in the nursing home, and she was nicer to me than she had ever been in my life. She thought my grandfather was out in the field and would be back any time. He had been dead about 20 years.

The roof is leaking in my office, so I have a bucket next to my chair. There must be ice on the roof and it's melting and getting through the metal roof. It's done it before. There's another leak in the studio. Hubby doesn't want to spend any money to get it fixed.

We went to three different insurance agents this afternoon looking for quotes on insurance, and all said they would call in about an hour. Only one has done it. One agent was immediately disqualified in my mind though, because on the counter in his office he had prominently displayed anti-Obama diatribes. I don't think that is appropriate in a place of business at all. Hubby agreed.

I'm going to pick up the girls in a few minutes to go to the basketball game. I hope they enjoy it.

Well, I have to go now. I hope you all have a great evening.

Sylvia
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just quickly checking in.

I ran 2.99 miles yesterday!! YEAH!!! If I would have realized I was so close to 3, I would have pushed on through. Still feels great to be that close to a goal.

Today is my rest day, but it is in the 50’s and I sure want to go home a bit early and take the dogs for a nice long walk before dinner.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

exercise.png

exercise.png

weight.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    damit - love your response!

doglady - push to 3.10 mi then you will be at a 5k!!!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tuesday aand hiding tablets in Mildred's meat lol. She is sleeping well, still sneezing but NO blood all day yesterday and today.
    Just done my 2 mile walk and about to do BFFM upper body for 20 minutes = 472 cals. Got to 10 minutes in walk and realised water on bench at home, drat
    pensions in bank so shopping trip. Prawn curry for lunch.
    Call into chemist for probiotocs and see which vitamin Brian suggests.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • iplibrarian
    iplibrarian Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello All! My name is Karen and I have been reading this thread for a few days. You all seem like such a wonderful group! I am 52 and looking for mfp friends for motivation and support! I just started back to the gym after weeks of being a couch potato. My goals for this month include logging in every day ACCURATELY! I have a tendency to under estimate my portions. I also need to get back to the gym at least 4 times a week. Thanks for the support - send a friend request!! Karen in Wyoming
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Drkatiebug ... thanks for repeating the book information ... I have an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my wallet...

Viv and Joyce ... hope the children are soon better!

Heather ... I think the charitable contributions instead of personal gifts is a great idea! But it only works if everyone is like-minded. And what people say they are willing to accept is not always what their heart desires. I would not do it at this time for most of the people in my life because we still have family members with needs ... both material and emotional. One niece that I have recently reconnected with after several quiet years, wrote to me that she immediately wept after receiving a small Christmas box from my husband and I (homemade fudge like her nana used to make and small gifts for her sons) ... so it depends on the situations and stages of life.

Jan ... I detest those angled mirrors ... like a fun house only they're far from fun!

Carol ... glad the moving is going well ... but wish your son was being cooperative.

Has anyone heard from Mimi (mimipersists)?

Went to the dentist after work today ... sadly, I was not blessed with good teeth. Rotten, soft things! Spent an hour having repairs ... first time in a long while that I'm left in pain. Novocain wasn't working well for a tooth in the back ... felt a lot of the dentist's movement and am now very swollen and sore. He would have stopped and given me more, but I just wanted to get home. Never fear, I still seem capable of eating ..

Not a great day on the calories ... but have it under control. My cold water is sending shockwaves through my mouth, so going off to make some tea.

I know I missed things I wanted to comment on ... working from memory... ha!
    Beth

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Such a chatty bunch it is so hard to keep up. First day back at work after 2 weeks off was tough and I am exhausted because I couldn't sleep last night at all. I have read thru it all but I am off to walk on the dreadmill for a while.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    North of Seattle
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did 3 segments of "Fit in a Flash" DVD (probably about 20 minutes), then held my plank for 2 min 40 sec, then took the extremepump class. Tomorrow's plan, if there's time, is to do a taichi DVD since taichi doesn't make me really thirsty.

Had a breakast of champions today -- chicken broth with a side of jello. Now, doesn't that sound just totally appetizing?

Janet - I've been thinking the exact same thing about the excess skin. I, unfortunately, don't think there's anything short of surgery to get rid of it. How I would love an exercise or something that did! I do hope you get to cut back on your metformin. I'm sure you'll let us know. Good for you increasing your exercise!

Love reading about how many of us are crying for a good reason

Lesley - hugs to Mildred

Toni - I was thinking that Edith's girl would be younger in Downtown Abbey. The magic of TV

Joyce - sending prayers for that little girl. How I wish you were closer -- you could have your Christmas at our house. I think at one Newcomer social we had around 50, admitted that was between downstairs and upstairs), it was crowded but not real bad.

katla - I totally agree with you. Give me a sweet potato without anything on it, and it'll disappear into my body. Now I did make a sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving, but I used 1/2 as much sugar as it called for. To me, a sweet potato is "sweet" for a reason. Of course, being down here in the South they completely expect butter and sugar. I honestly don't think they know how to cook a sweet potato without butter and sugar. We went to a restaurant once and when I asked for the sweet potato without butter and sugar, it was so badly overcooked that I actually sent it back! I can't seem to get rid of the extra skin from my belly.

Kim - welcome back!

Viv - if Kain does have "brain" problems, hopefully, they'll find out what they are and they can be controlled by medication.

Sylvia and Dorene - glad we're finally getting Downtown. There are some surprises coming!

They just called, I go tomorrow at 7:00. Looks like the taichi is going to be a no-go. Oh well.....

anamika - great goals, especially the one about coming in here more

Carol - my heart goes out to you. I know only too well the feeling of disappointment in our children. So glad you're loving your new place. katla had a good point. Does your son deal OK with change? Now Denise doesn't at all. She wants everything to be the same way all the time.

katla - good thoughts for your dog

Viv - glad your gs is better and that they're keeping him for observation.

Welcome everyone new!

terri - I don't tell Vince what I expect him to get for me -- I just go and buy it and hand it to him and say "here, give this to me for Christmas". At least I know I like it and that it fits!

Janet - yea for the great report from the doc and for getting to cut down on the metformin. That's just wonderful!

Rita - I'm so proud of you wanting to go for your doctorate. Awesome

Went to exercise class, then a meeting of our nominating committee (first I dropped off a bag of lettuce ribs for a friend's dog), didn't go to bowling since it's supposed to be fairly warm today and tomorrow so we took in some of the Christmas decorations. We're not planning on much getting done tomorrow, I don't remember how long it'll take for that anesthesia to get out of my system.

Terri - good for you going walking even IF your coworker didn't. I'm proud of you

Sally - next time I'm SURE you'll do 3 miles

Karen - welcome. Accuracy is the key, and you CAN do it

Beth - do you know that none of my children (30, 28, 27) have EVER had a cavity? It isn't fair! The dentist feels that it was the fluoride tablets that I gave them when they were little. The fluoride formed *in* their teeth. I still say it isn't fair.

Just letting everyone know -- if I never have jello again until my next colonoscopy, it'll be too soon for me!

Michele in NC

Gratitude for the Past - Strength for the Present - Faith for the Future
  • Dkuffer
    Dkuffer Posts: 12
    Options
    Good evening ladies - last day in the pool and the sun of Florida - swam 30 minutes and felt great!!!! Food intake was on par today too....I need to stay determined when I get home and back to the office because it's so easy to let that get in the way.

So, my goal for then next week - work out every day and keep within my calorie count each day - which means accurate tracking.
    -
    thanks for all the motivation!

Dorene
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    stats for the day: WINDY RIDE
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.54min, 14.9amph 3mi -windy!
    spin- 40min, 85ar 121aw, 11-15g, 16.7mi
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.05min, 10.8amph, 1.5mi -windy!
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.02min, 8.5amph, 2.7mi- windy!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, please take care of yourself and feeling strange today. Women's intuition is very true. Given your heart problems, small clots can move out of the heart and do strange things

Viv, so sorry about your little ones. Strange hospital rule that only one parent allowed at a time.

Heather, the year my Dad died, my youngest brother who lives the farthest away, really felt moved that we should not give gifts that year but give to the food bank that had been his
    baby' at the church he was at. He had been a pastor there for many years and retired from there and was a current pastor emeritus. We partially agreed with that and cut down on the monetary value of our gifts and gave a large amount of food and the money we would have normally spent for gifts to buy food. We spent the afternoon organizing the food bank and the guys did some woodwork to build more shelves. I personally like gifts. My husband does not give gifts at all for anything, anybody. So the 1 Christmas present I get is important to me. And I don't want gift cards. They are gone the moment it is spent. I want a gift that I can see everyday and enjoy and think of that person all the time. My girls are finally at the point in their lives they can buy a gift for us and they are both very thoughtful and economical in what they give us. They are teaching their children well.

My little great niece is better today. Doctor's said it is bronchitis and not pertussis. From the coughs her other two children had on Saturday they are more than likely sick also. I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not and please forgive me if I did. the other nephew who keeps on having babies, 3 under 3 year old, got home and found his girlfriend who had given the excuse that she had the flu and could not come, had purposefully 'had the flu' so that she could spend the 3 days with a trucker she works with. No one saw her throwing up so my nephew just took her word for it. I talked to my SIL and she has a long history of setting up new face book accounts, puts up a sexy picture and says she is interesting in meeting men. Of her pictures on her real face book account, she is either a lovely young lady or, pardon the name, a slut. She has really improved herself over the years with my nephew and they were thinking of getting married. Now we have a young man who in his juvenile years was in and out of jail because of being bipolar and obsessive defiant disorder and mild drug use. The moment his first baby was born was a huge transformation for him and he has never turned back. but he is not equipped to be a full time single Dad to 3 children. What has happened to todays youth?

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif I loved reading all the posts and welcome all the new members of our happy community. This has been another great day in spite of getting soaked to the skin walking this morning without the dogs who preferred to stay in bed. Walking is meditative for me....I listen to inspirational speakers and favorite music and frequently get answers to problems that have been perplexing me. Jake and I went to the grocery store and Costco today and stocked up on important items....one thing that's important to me is buy plenty of the foods that he'll fix for himself so we can have a lot of "find it and fix it" days so I don't have to cook for him.

1635959zfv2q8wczj.gif My new bathroom scale came yesterday and I weighed 4 tenths of a pound less on it, so I'll have to remind myself that I'm not losing weight, just staying the same.

smiley-chores002.gif 19,000 steps today and over an hour on the exercise bike

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)---The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances253149qtzkf0ld22.gif

146200.png
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Barbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD – nice to see you! I’m a recent returnee...

Carol – perhaps a little ‘return disappointment’ is in order if the expectations are all one-sided. Did I tell ya’ll about changing the locks on our house when our youngest son thought all should be in his favor? He was surprised! ;)

OK – all caught up on posts again.

The backup gal now in our office and I are pretending for the next two weeks (before my medical leave) that I am already out so we can really see where she needs more instruction. Even so, 12-hours at the office today. :\

Came home and fixed salmon, rice and green beans for dinner, but neither of us wanted it at 10p, so it is in the frig for tomorrow night. That makes me happy! I ended up having a childhood treat for dinner: some of the rice with milk and sugar substitute on it, plus a yogurt and some fruit. Tasted great and now I’m just slightly under calories. (That does NOT happen very often!)

Time to get to bed –
    Gail, metro ATL
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

My word for 2015 is TODAY..
    if not TODAY when?

I had a pretty good day on food choices and my house cleaning and laundry day so staying busy helped. Still trying to get back on the wagon after all the over eating during the Holidays.

Sue from TN
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome all newcomers and returnees. So happy to have all of you. I just found a quote that I really like. I think it's going to have to be my mantra for a while.

“If you want something different, DO something different. Without change progress is impossible.” - Steve Maraboli

Hugs and prayers for all who are having issues with diet, health, and family.

Barb from South Louisiana