What do you add to rice?

Options

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Not to hijack, but...are rice cookers supposed to rattle and hiss and wheeze and whistle or did I do it wrong? I bought one years and year ago and used it once and now it's in storage because I'm scared of it.

All the ones I've ever seen do. They work similarly to kettles. I've had some that spit out starch water from the pressure value too.
  • skyedogz
    skyedogz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ... and apparently brown rice has a high amount of fibre which is great at cleansing
    the colon.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Not to hijack, but...are rice cookers supposed to rattle and hiss and wheeze and whistle or did I do it wrong? I bought one years and year ago and used it once and now it's in storage because I'm scared of it.

All the ones I've ever seen do. They work similarly to kettles. I've had some that spit out starch water from the pressure value too.

Yes!!! It did that, too! I kept waiting for it to explode.

• billpeeler
    billpeeler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salsa - every time.
  • SuckerPunch77
    SuckerPunch77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If it's already cooked I sometimes add salsa, or make a "fried rice" with egg whites, lite soya sauce, and frozen mixed peas and corn. Or I may just dump my leftover spaghetti sauce on it.

If cooking (depending on what I'm eating it with) coconut milk and/or a stick of lemon grass is easy. stock as mentioned above, too.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tonight I cooked it in chicken stock, added some thyme and onion.

Dinner is actually a lazy meal tonight. I took a baking pan, put in a cup of rice and a cup and half of chicken stock, then added onions and thyme, and a couple of chicken breasts. Cover it in foil and bake it on 375 for about 45 mins. Not a lot of prep involved and moderately healthy. That and a side of broccoli and you have a great meal.

• tinkerbug83
    tinkerbug83 Posts: 83
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just made this tonight, rice in the slow cooker (I found it here: [http://www.eatingonadime.com/crock-pot-rice/). I only had about 1.5cups of rice with about 3cups of water. We usually have it with some garlic powder and butter, but I might try to make it with broth next time! :)
  • bigdaddyrobb
    bigdaddyrobb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Usually Furikake,low sodium soy sauce,or Sriracha.
  • JSRider8
    Options
    I add nori seasoning. (seaweed and sesame seeds)
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try some of these. I usually just put butter and some herb and garlic spice mix on it if my main dish isn't "saucy".
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I totally get the appeal of boil-bag rice for busy nights. Plop it in and walk away. When I do this and want to keep it super simple, I have a few go-tos:
    Salsa
    Butter (or spritz with oil) and seasoning. My favorite is called, Its a Dilly. (laugh it up, I do every time I see the jar). Old Bay also a good seasoning for rice.
    Grated parm or other hard cheese.
    Popcorn seasonings can be pretty low cal. Try Ranch.
  • Slythiechick
    Slythiechick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    light shredded cheese or peanut sauce, mainly. looking for a good healthy peanut sauce recipe to replace the store bought stuff.
  • frootums
    frootums Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I add just a few drops of sesame oil and a sprinkle of powdered ginger to the cooking water, then pour on some garlicy hot sauce when I serve it up. My son likes his cooked with Old Bay and a little butter, though.

This sounds great. I love adding a bit of sesame oil to my rice, I'll try the ginger and garlic sauce :D
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    chilli oil, salt and black roasted sesame seeds. When I'm cooking it, sometimes I also throw a green tea bag in the water.
  • Ruffian1000
    Ruffian1000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A large amount of Mrs. Dash. No sodium - just flavor. Fantastic rice this way - no butter needed!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I also put my meat, veggies and a tiny bit of the juices from the pan the meat was cooked. I guess I need to remember to log that as "chicken drippings."
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Goma shio! Mmm. (It's a blend of toasted sesame seeds and salt -- we love it!)
  • SativaMad
    SativaMad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A glass of water..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I don't make plain white rice all that often unlesd it is a base for something else with lots of flavor. When I do serve it as a side it is usually cilantro lime, or sometimes coconut milk stirred in. I usually buy the flavored rice packets but these suggestions are great!
  • DottyBearP
    DottyBearP Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Raisins, peas and toasted pine nuts