Silly kinda OT question for ladies about showering and hair

Options
So I have been going to the gym everyday and obviously showering right after. My question: is there a way/some sorta secret to clean the sweat out of your hair without shampooing? I have colored hair so I am not supposed to wash everyday (makes the color come out faster) but regardless I was washing my hair every other day before I colored my hair because it kept my hair from drying out and made it more healthy. I have already tried just rinsing it but it still looks and feels dirty. I am debating on just saying oh well and dyeing it back to my natural and calling it a day.

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i wash mine at most every other day. i try to go three days and yes it gets gross so by the third day it is up in a knot or something. dying it back to your original color probably wont fix it- it will still be colored and fade just as fast with too many washes
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use dry shampoo - which is also great for styling (since I have short hair... not sure how it would work for long hair). I get really nasty dandruff if I shampoo every day, so dry shampoo for me, with regular sudsy soap once every 2 or 3 days. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    I use dry shampoo - which is also great for styling (since I have short hair... not sure how it would work for long hair). I get really nasty dandruff if I shampoo every day, so dry shampoo for me, with regular sudsy soap once every 2 or 3 days. :)

I use dry shampoo. I only wash my hair with shampoo twice a week (tops). I also color my hair and should not shampoo often.

Also, you have to give your hair time to adjust. I used to wash it every day too. It should eventually adjust.
  • R1otgirl
    R1otgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also use dry shampoo and it works well for me. I have colored my hair for years and one of my biggest setbacks in working out was not doing it because I would have to shower and wash my hair right after. Now I just stick my hair up, wash my face/body and then use dry shampoo after I'm out.
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have long, color treated hair, and use dry shampoo. It works really well. I wash my hair every 3-4 days.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo will be your friend. Get one for color-treated hair and that is lightweight.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a hair stylist and what most ladies above said is right. Most people end up washing their hair too often anyway. It's a new fad from the last 20 of so years to wash your hair everyday. It's wasteful and unnecessary. I wash mine 1-2 times weekly and I use dry shampoo. I do have textured hair so it is a lot less noticeable then fine straight hair when dirty. Try new styles, curling your hair for example will hide it too. You can find great colored(red, brown,blonde eg .) dry shampoos at sephora. Good luck!
  • KathleenCora
    Options
    Also just so you know the more often you wash your hair your body will produce extra oil to replace what you just washed out. So if you start waiting to wash your hair from everyday to every other and so forth your body will adjust and stop producing oil at such a quick speed.
  • jacqueline7599
    jacqueline7599 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I color mine. Mine has fashion colors for streaks. Purple, pink and teal. I haven't worjed out in long time. Starting again and was wondering same thing. I wash mine every 2-3 days. I hold out as long as possible until starts to look greasy at roots. Would Ulta have dry shampoo for colored hair?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have short curly hair that usually gets smashed after one night of sleep. I have to at least wet it each day. I use shampoo once a week duribg the dry winter months. On other days, I just use conditioner.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I color mine. Mine has fashion colors for streaks. Purple, pink and teal. I haven't worjed out in long time. Starting again and was wondering same thing. I wash mine every 2-3 days. I hold out as long as possible until starts to look greasy at roots. Would Ulta have dry shampoo for colored hair?

Yeah, even Suave makes one for colored hair. But I've used ones that haven't been specially formulated for colored hair (like this one) and did not notice a difference in color fading--but I have dark brown hair, not as high-maintenance.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I don't like how mine feels just rinsed, or conditioned but not shampooed. I'd rather not wet it at all. I wear a headband when I work out (a rolled up bandana) and just let it absorb things. Then I blow dry the style into shape, adding just a little more product on if I need to.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

I have turquoise and purple streaks. I work out almost every day. I also have fine hair and it get's pretty gunky after 3 days. I haven't tried dry shampoo in years and it used to be awful. Under my color is bleached blond so the color stands out more and the rest of my hair is lightened a bit to brighten it up.. I use Aveda shampoo for regular wash.

I'm also interested in what brand of dry shampoo makes a type for colored hair.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I have turquoise and purple streaks. I work out almost every day. I also have fine hair and it get's pretty gunky after 3 days. I haven't tried dry shampoo in years and it used to be awful. Under my color is bleached blond so the color stands out more and the rest of my hair is lightened a bit to brighten it up.. I use Aveda shampoo for regular wash.

I'm also interested in what brand of dry shampoo makes a type for colored hair.

Yeah I should look into this. I've been using dry shampoo but my color costs like...150 dollars or something, so if there is a good one for colored hair I should switch.

Just something cool to add for ladies with colored hair, my hairdresser sells me a conditioner that has my glaze color (just the semi-permanent coat) mixed into it. Every time I condition I get a little refresher too.
  • ErinM1987
    Options
    Thanks ladies! You have been super helpful. The last dry shampoo I used was a while ago and it left white streaks in my dark brown hair so i stopped using it. guess i need to look into the dry shampoo for color treated hair.
    This is my current hair color and length. Only thing I hate about in between wash is putting it up i feel like it defeats the purpose of the color which is why i am considering going back to just my dark brown.
    m35yfg707icf.jpg
  • msbengbeng
    msbengbeng Posts: 59 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dry shampoo or a condition and rinse. Invest in a good product without sulfates or alcohol. I have Ombre hair and I do okay. The rinse and condition is great when really sweaty, use warm water intially and a cold for final rinse.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack - does anyone have solutions for swimming with highlighted hair? I know to wet it with unchlorinated water first, so there's less room for chlorine, and I wear a cap. Looking into chlorine removal shampoo. Anything else to think about?
  • KathleenCora
    Options
    Aveda and Malibu have good chlorine removal shampoo. I would also recommend the swimmers Malibu treatment once a month to get the build up of chlorine off the exposed hair. Getting your hair wet prior to swimming is a really good idea like you said. I would also use a 'cheap' conditioner and apply in the places that are exposed to the chlorine while swimming to add another layer of protection against the chlorine. I was a diver and swimmer in high school and college and this was exactly what I would do. Get hair and body wet(because chlorine isn't good for skin either) apply conditioner put hair in bun and apply cap. Best of luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't use shampoo at all. I only use conditioner (no SLS and no silicone's) and then about once a every 4-6 weeks I do a deep clean when I actually color my hair.

But yeah- no for the washing every day- a solid rinse should do you as long as you aren't using a lot of product (I don't put anything in my hair so it's really just a finger scrub and water is adequate)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Like other ladies said dry shampoo is the best. Oh and I am so glad the side bun is back in style. That helps me when I lazy after washing my hair to dry it...which is a lot. I am forever fighting my natural curls. Yes I hate them. I know wrong but oh well.