• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BigT555 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    By definition of my nutrition book since I took a class at my college, healthy foods have more micro nutrients than the so call junk food "empty calories", foods with no micro nutrients, was what it was called in the book.

OK - so if I hit my macros/micors and calorie goals for the day, but I got 500-600 calories from ice cream and cookies is that then not healthy? Because empty calories??? (whatever those are)

This line alone shows just how little you actually know about what you're talking about.

Please feel free to enlighten us.

The point trying to be made is that you can only absorb so many micronutrients. If you eat a majority of nutrient dense food (or at least sufficient amounts), and fill the rest with pizza, chocolate, ice cream, or whatever, how is that bad.

*And keep in mind that this thread is being argued by people who eat a hell of a lot more than 1200 calories a day. It's hard to fit in treats when you only eat a little every day. When your goal is 2000 calories or even 3500 calories, you can easily work in more calorie dense food and still get proper nutrition.

"Empty calories (whatever that is)" was the line I was going at.

The credibility of the original post was lost when the OP admitted she doesn't know what an empty calorie is.

for the record I am a male…

please feel free to explain what an empty calorie is..? I assume a calorie with zero units of energy…?

No. An empty calorie is where you eat or drink a substance that has little to no nutritional value on a micronutrient level.

Take 12 fl oz of Cola vs freshly squeezed Orange Juice for example. The orange juice contains 41mg of calcium, 0.74 mg of iron, 41mg of magnesium, 63mg of phosphorus, 744mg of potassium, 4mg of sodium, 0.19mg of zinc, 186mg of Vitamin C, 0.335mg of Thiamin, 0.112mg of Riboflavin, 1.488mg of Niacin, 0.149mg of Vitamin B-6, 112 ug of Folate, 37ug of Vitamin A, RAE, 744IU of Vitamin A, IU, 0.15mg of Vitamin E, and 0.4 ug of Vitamin K. That's all in 328 total calories.

The Cola, on the other hand, contains 7 mg of Calcium, 0.07 mg of Iron, 41 mg of Phosphorus, 11mg of Potassium, 15mg of Sodium, 0.04 mg of Zinc, and absolutely nothing else. From 12 fl oz, that is basically nothing, for 152 calories. These are called empty calories. Calories you consume that have minimal nutritional significance, beyond the macro level.
    and OP was never seen again

unfortunately, OP has a job that requires work and stuff …

trying to read through the replies …

I agree with what you are saying..however, the coke is not "empty" you still get a benefit from the calories contained within, yes?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    keola64 wrote: »
    I have to agree there is totally such a thing as unhealthy and healthy foods lol, icecream, pizza , etc in moderation won't kill you but is far from healthy...Sorry buddy.

I agree that there are healthy foods, but I'm more hesitant to call foods "unhealthy" in a general sense. Other than maybe trans fat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    By definition of my nutrition book since I took a class at my college, healthy foods have more micro nutrients than the so call junk food "empty calories", foods with no micro nutrients, was what it was called in the book.

OK - so if I hit my macros/micors and calorie goals for the day, but I got 500-600 calories from ice cream and cookies is that then not healthy? Because empty calories??? (whatever those are)

This line alone shows just how little you actually know about what you're talking about.

The point trying to be made is that you can only absorb so many micronutrients. If you eat a majority of nutrient dense food (or at least sufficient amounts), and fill the rest with pizza, chocolate, ice cream, or whatever, how is that bad.

*And keep in mind that this thread is being argued by people who eat a hell of a lot more than 1200 calories a day. It's hard to fit in treats when you only eat a little every day. When your goal is 2000 calories or even 3500 calories, you can easily work in more calorie dense food and still get proper nutrition.

The credibility of the original post was lost when the OP admitted she doesn't know what an empty calorie is.

please feel free to explain what an empty calorie is..? I assume a calorie with zero units of energy…?

No. An empty calorie is where you eat or drink a substance that has little to no nutritional value on a micronutrient level.

Take 12 fl oz of Cola vs freshly squeezed Orange Juice for example. The orange juice contains 41mg of calcium, 0.74 mg of iron, 41mg of magnesium, 63mg of phosphorus, 744mg of potassium, 4mg of sodium, 0.19mg of zinc, 186mg of Vitamin C, 0.335mg of Thiamin, 0.112mg of Riboflavin, 1.488mg of Niacin, 0.149mg of Vitamin B-6, 112 ug of Folate, 37ug of Vitamin A, RAE, 744IU of Vitamin A, IU, 0.15mg of Vitamin E, and 0.4 ug of Vitamin K. That's all in 328 total calories.

The Cola, on the other hand, contains 7 mg of Calcium, 0.07 mg of Iron, 41 mg of Phosphorus, 11mg of Potassium, 15mg of Sodium, 0.04 mg of Zinc, and absolutely nothing else. From 12 fl oz, that is basically nothing, for 152 calories. These are called empty calories. Calories you consume that have minimal nutritional significance, beyond the macro level.

I suppose I should add that what I just explained there is a clear cut example of what is a "healthy" food and what is not a "healthy" food.

Now, put that together into a 'diet' and you're not longer talking about what a singular healthy food is. You're talking about a diet. You can eat whatever the heck you want, but what you eat can, and will make a different physiologically. Mentally, if you need to eat the donut, then eat the freaking donut because it would be unhealthy to completely ignore your cravings all the time

no, they are just foods with different calorie content, and micro breakdowns...
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I agree with what you are saying..however, the coke is not "empty" you still get a benefit from the calories contained within, yes?

It may contain calories & sugar, but it is not nutrient dense, which means 'empty' It has one nutrient, carbohydrate - which while essential could be gained from a food which also helps you meet your requirements for other nutrients, like fats or minerals. The term "empty" applied to foods with one or two nutrients only, it only means they are less dense/efficient than other foods.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    keola64 wrote: »
    I have to agree there is totally such a thing as unhealthy and healthy foods lol, icecream, pizza , etc in moderation won't kill you but is far from healthy...Sorry buddy.

traitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Healthy food and junk food have nothing to do with the calories or even the macro nutrients. It is all about micro nutrients only.

With the soda since it has no micro nutrients is consider junk food. Liquid candy was what it was called when I was a kid.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    LutzMol wrote: »
    I think healthy and unhealthy foods have nothing to do with calories. It's the composition of the food that matters.

I would say ice cream is definitely less healthy than a carrot - not because ice cream has more calories, but because its composition is inferior ... no vitamins, minerals, ...the kind of stuff your body depends on

Uhhh you realize dairy has significant amounts of calcium and vitamin D, right? And that adding sugar to cream and freezing it doesn't take that away?

And that a carrot has a bit of Vitamin A which can also be found in many other sources? If you were a woman with the risk of osteoporosis, which would you choose? Or... why choose? Have both?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »

I suppose I should add that what I just explained there is a clear cut example of what is a "healthy" food and what is not a "healthy" food.

Now, put that together into a 'diet' and you're not longer talking about what a singular healthy food is. You're talking about a diet. You can eat whatever the heck you want, but what you eat can, and will make a different physiologically. Mentally, if you need to eat the donut, then eat the freaking donut because it would be unhealthy to completely ignore your cravings all the time

No, you didn't. The target is always moving and that is why you cant make this blanket statement. If I need those macros/micros that are in a donut to complete my diet, the donut is not unhealthy. If I however, have complete my macros/micros for the day/week/month, whatever your measure (another moving target) then ANYTHING I eat above that would be unhealthy by your definition. Genetics plays so much a larger role in health anyway. You can eat all the "healthy" food you want and I can eat donuts and if you are genetically predisposed to a health issue, you are more likely to be ill. I genuinely hate this argument. There are no unhealthy foods other than the ones that make you ill, like poison or allergy. And I still don't know what is an empty unit of heat is?????

Completely agree with this, a calorie is a unit of energy that a doughnut will give you a fair few of. I've always heard 'empty' calories used in term of someone on a calorie constricted diet usually meaning that their can't waste their calorie allowance on foods that aren't highly dense in nutrients (as they need to meet all their requirements with a limited number of calories) The more calorie allowance you have the more 'empty' calorie foods you'll be able to eat while still hitting your nutrient needs for everything else.

On an individual level there are certain health conditions that call for the restriction/increased intake of certain nutrients, but this has nothing to do with "what is healthy" it's all individual & relative.

Again, you've missed the point. Foods, on a singular level, when compared to other foods are more healthy than others.

When you take those foods and apply them to your individual diet, it becomes a lot more complex and when you need or desire will determine how healthy the food is for you.

I take it you didn't read my comments.. ok I said:

I did read your comments. I stated I defined what a healthy FOOD was, and that it's different from a healthy DIET. The reply to my post stated I was wrong, then went on and on about how a donut can be healthy in a diet, completely missing my point.

Then you chimed in and stated you agreed with the response and continued to go on the DIET debate, completely missing my point on FOOD =/= DIET.

I was replying to a comment that was (as you stated) talking about diet, and was agreeing with him in the terms he stated. I wasn't actually talking to you at all, or talking about his response to you in particular (which I also agree with, clearly) I wasn't talking about your point at all. Individual foods are either dense in nutrients or not, a fact which you clearly stated beforehand, that's not in question.

The OP and many responders to this thread asked "what is a healthy food." Therefore, I believe it is in question.

The problem is that everyone asked that question, then answered in terms of diet.

Seeing lots of people who answered in terms of individual food initially (including myself), and then just went on to discuss overall diet, which is the next natural step in a conversation about this subject. This is a thread, so it's a discussion that has evolved to this end. Not seeing a problem.

by-the-by "you stated this fact, that isn't in question" means I wasn't minimising your statement.

No hard feelings.

Lots of people (who have apparently abandoned this thread, I assume because they didn't like the response I gave them) asked me to define what an empty calorie is, so I did. People had also asked for the definition of a healthy food, so I tied the two together.

Then the user who replied to my statement made a blanket statement that I was wrong, then went on to talk about diets, and not singular foods, completely missing my point, as I said. I do agree with the fact that a donut is fine, and is not unhealthy for your diet, when the rest of your diet comprises of foods that do not consist of "empty calories." That's what the person replying to my message says, that's what you say, and I agree with it, but the blanket statement that I was wrong (which is odd, considering s/he agreed to the second half of my statement) is what I was arguing against.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

No, you didn't. The target is always moving and that is why you cant make this blanket statement. If I need those macros/micros that are in a donut to complete my diet, the donut is not unhealthy. If I however, have complete my macros/micros for the day/week/month, whatever your measure (another moving target) then ANYTHING I eat above that would be unhealthy by your definition. Genetics plays so much a larger role in health anyway. You can eat all the "healthy" food you want and I can eat donuts and if you are genetically predisposed to a health issue, you are more likely to be ill. I genuinely hate this argument. There are no unhealthy foods other than the ones that make you ill, like poison or allergy. And I still don't know what is an empty unit of heat is?????

Completely agree with this, a calorie is a unit of energy that a doughnut will give you a fair few of. I've always heard 'empty' calories used in term of someone on a calorie constricted diet usually meaning that their can't waste their calorie allowance on foods that aren't highly dense in nutrients (as they need to meet all their requirements with a limited number of calories) The more calorie allowance you have the more 'empty' calorie foods you'll be able to eat while still hitting your nutrient needs for everything else.

On an individual level there are certain health conditions that call for the restriction/increased intake of certain nutrients, but this has nothing to do with "what is healthy" it's all individual & relative.

Again, you've missed the point. Foods, on a singular level, when compared to other foods are more healthy than others.

When you take those foods and apply them to your individual diet, it becomes a lot more complex and when you need or desire will determine how healthy the food is for you.

I did read your comments. I stated I defined what a healthy FOOD was, and that it's different from a healthy DIET. The reply to my post stated I was wrong, then went on and on about how a donut can be healthy in a diet, completely missing my point.

Then you chimed in and stated you agreed with the response and continued to go on the DIET debate, completely missing my point on FOOD =/= DIET.

I was replying to a comment that was (as you stated) talking about diet, and was agreeing with him in the terms he stated. I wasn't actually talking to you at all, or talking about his response to you in particular (which I also agree with, clearly) I wasn't talking about your point at all. Individual foods are either dense in nutrients or not, a fact which you clearly stated beforehand, that's not in question.

The OP and many responders to this thread asked "what is a healthy food." Therefore, I believe it is in question.

The problem is that everyone asked that question, then answered in terms of diet.

Seeing lots of people who answered in terms of individual food initially (including myself), and then just went on to discuss overall diet, which is the next natural step in a conversation about this subject. This is a thread, so it's a discussion that has evolved to this end. Not seeing a problem.

by-the-by "you stated this fact, that isn't in question" means I wasn't minimising your statement.

No hard feelings.

Lots of people (who have apparently abandoned this thread, I assume because they didn't like the response I gave them) asked me to define what an empty calorie is, so I did. People had also asked for the definition of a healthy food, so I tied the two together.

Then the user who replied to my statement made a blanket statement that I was wrong, then went on to talk about diets, and not singular foods, completely missing my point, as I said. I do agree with the fact that a donut is fine, and is not unhealthy for your diet, when the rest of your diet comprises of foods that do not consist of "empty calories." That's what the person replying to my message says, that's what you say, and I agree with it, but the blanket statement that I was wrong (which is odd, considering s/he agreed to the second half of my statement) is what I was arguing against.

Gotcha completely, of course no hard feelings! Didn't want you thinking I was saying you were wrong, because I completely agree with your definition of empty calories.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Different calorie content, yes, but that doesn't determine how healthy it is. Micro breakdown is completely different in that the Cola does not have any micro nutrients in it, and is therefore, as an individual food, unhealthy because it supplies no significant nutritional benefit to your body.

If you only ever ate food that consisted of purely protein, fat, and carbs, without any micronutrients whatsoever, you would die.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Healthy food and junk food have nothing to do with the calories or even the macro nutrients. It is all about micro nutrients only.

With the soda since it has no micro nutrients is consider junk food. Liquid candy was what it was called when I was a kid.

What's the line between healthy food and junk food? I mean, how many micronutrients does it need and in what percentages to be considered healthy? And is there anything between healthy and junk or are those the only two categories of food?
  • ndj1979
    Options

iron and zinc is not a micro??

what about potassium?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My stomach hurts
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Different calorie content, yes, but that doesn't determine how healthy it is. Micro breakdown is completely different in that the Cola does not have any micro nutrients in it, and is therefore, as an individual food, unhealthy because it supplies no significant nutritional benefit to your body.

If you only ever ate food that consisted of purely protein, fat, and carbs, without any micronutrients whatsoever, you would die.

I do not think OP is understanding you.
  • ndj1979
    Options

i don't think that is even possible….
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

you seem to understand the premise but are stuck on the fact that there is no hard definition of healthy, or clean, or even an empty calorie. these are all relative terms

2 direct comparisons in front of you showing calorie vs micro count, you should be able to clearly state which is better for you. and short of some minor mental aspect that you could consider, the OJ wipes the table over coke any day
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

No hard feelings.

Lolz at people abandoning the thread. The thread has only been up for two hours. Not replying within two hours =/= abandoning the thread. People do have jobs.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

There's a term for this, Protein Poisoning. It is essentially malnutrition, gives you headaches & diarrhea; it's also potentially fatal. Not eating enough micro-nutrients can lead to excess hunger & over consumption of fats, carbs & proteins, and even pica like cravings. Horrible & certainly unhealthy.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

what about potassium?

Those are micro nutrients.
    coke has nothing
    nutrition-facts-coke-can.png

• CloudyMao
    edited January 2015
    Options

what about potassium?

Those are micro nutrients.
    coke has nothing
    nutrition-facts-coke-can.png

but it's low fat, so is healthy right?

kekloltopb8
This discussion has been closed.