What made you decied to lose weight?

Options
What was your moment, your wake up call, the straw that broke the camels back, that deciding factor that made you want lose weight?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suddenly gained ten more pounds and the added load was too much for my pancreas. Metformin alone wasn't working any more and the next step is insulin. Also, I was suffering greater mobility issues, knees were creaking, and I had heel spurs in both feet. I feared if I didn't make a change not being able to move would make it that much more difficult. It did feel like I was standing on the edge of the cliff.
  • icandothis5769
    icandothis5769 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression and fibromyalgia. I absolutely hate giving in to anything and I realized I've been a big part of my own misery. So on New Year's Day I made a decision to take care of ME for a change and hopefully feel better doing it!
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    A horrifying picture of myself.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My hubby lost a lot of weight and I knew if his lazy butt could do it, I had no excuse. My kids were starting to emulate my bad eating habits and I was feeling like crap all the time. Plus, I hated the way I looked. Yet, it wasn't until I started having irregular heart rhythms that I finally woke up and said, no more. I don't want to die. This is sick. I have to change. So, I did.
  • Oldred
    Oldred Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Osteoarthritis in my knees.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale....and my stomach hung over my panties :neutral_face:
  • eemmerson929
    eemmerson929 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Turning 50 and really bad numbers on my blood work. A1C (Sugar), cholesterol, triglycerides were way high. In 3 months, I was able to bring them all back to a normal range through diet and exercise by tracking my food intake and steps walked. There was also medication but I was already on the medication for a while and it was not helping (or I was getting worse slower). Got the meds cut in half by the doc just this morning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I decided that I wanted to be healthier and get off the meds I was on and choose a new path that wasn't going to result in what likely would have been an early demise.

To be healthier meant that I needed to eat healthier and more nutritious foods and get regular exercise...losing 40 Lbs was just a nice bi-product of living a more healthful lifestyle, it wasn't initially anything I really set out to do. I lost a good 20 Lbs before I even realized it...just eating more healthfully and getting in regular exercise. At that point I decided to dive further into nutrition and fitness and found MFP where I dropped another 20.
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My kids were all active in sports and I felt like I wasn't practicing what I preached. Now they have to work really hard to out run me. :)
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not feeling comfortable in my own skin. Was also tired of making excuses.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've been toying with losing for a few months now and lost a little - 8 lbs in about 4 months. But I've decided to get more serious about it since I have 2 reunions to attend this coming summer.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A picture posted by a friend on FB for the whole world to see. I knew I had gained weight but didn't realize it was that bad. With every like the picture got I cried because it meant one more person saw it.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    From my 'story':

My Background
    I grew up a crazy skinny little kid. Sports was most of my life. When I wasn't playing for a team I was playing with friends around the house. I lived about 3 miles outside my hometown and I would ride my bike back and forth, often a couple times a day. I could sit down and eat an entire large pizza and I wouldn't gain a pound. I graduated H.S. at 135lbs. I was an athlete.

Where I Began
    Fast forward 16 years later. I had sat at a desk job for almost all of my adult life. It all started when I was ‘out-growing’ my 38”-waist pants and knocking on the door at 40” (205lbs). I wasn't “huge” by some standards, but I was definitely by mine. I would be out of breath walking up stairs. I couldn't run around with my kids too much. That picture on the left was taking my then 8-year old to the daddy-daughter dance where I would get worn out after dancing to just a song or two. It was affecting my life in every way. I went to my doctor and for the first time in my life my blood pressure was high. My doctor suggested nicely that maybe a few pounds would help and if I didn't it could lead to health problems later in life.

The Journey
    A few months later I got fed up. I hated being that out of shape and overweight. I refused to buy a larger size of pants and I wanted to be an athlete again. Honestly one day it just hit me like a ton of bricks. I CHOSE TO BE THIS FAT. There was only ONE THING standing in my way from being the me that I could faintly remember. CHOICE. All I had to do was CHOOSE better. That’s it. I had tons of reasons why I was fat. I work at a desk all day, I’m a dad I don’t have time, I don’t want to get up early and workout, it’s too hard, etc. etc. When it came down to it, I just realized that I could do it, I was just choosing not to.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I cleaned up everything else in my life, so it was finally time to take care of my body and my health.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Basically, my doctor said, "I want you to lose weight. Get down to 160." I was about 225 lbs at the time. Yeah, I'm that easy. :)
  • spoonwalker
    spoonwalker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im the biggest I have ever been and have two kids under the age of 4. I want to be able to enjoy their life with them and not be so self conscience everytime we out in public. I know I am better than what I have let myself become and I want to set an example for my girls.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    In my early 20's I showed horses for a living and was a year away from International Levels of competition. I was always thin and ate crap but because I was so active I never had to think about my weight. I was actually losing weight eating 2 Big Macs and a large fry for my lunch everyday.
    When I was 29 I was in a car accident and was unable to ride anymore and ended up having a hip and 2 back surgeries. I continued eating crap without any activity and slowly gained about 100 lbs.
    About 2 years ago I saw a picture of myself sitting in the stands at my son's hockey game surrounded by all of the other Mom's on the team who were quite a bit skinnier then me. I was embarassed and decided I didn't want that life anymore. I wanted to be able to keep up with my son and be one of the "hot moms" not their fat friend. Slowly but surely I am getting there.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had two that coincided together. We took the family to the great wolf lodge. For those that don't know, it is an indoor water park. After a few times up the stairs to the slides, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I had to sit down and couldn't have fun with my family. That was the real turning point. Also, I got engaged and I wanted to look better for my wedding!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Desire for improved athletic performance.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So mine is a little different than most. I was never technically overweight for my height, but as we all know weight and bf% are not the same, and my BF% was much higher than I wanted it to be. I could no longer suck my stomach in so it was flat. I officially had a fat belly. I made the decision to act in November of 2013 but didn't actually make any changes until January last year. The holidays were coming up, I was going on vacation to San Diego and Disneyland and I figured, why not enjoy myself. This put me just shy of 200 lbs at 6'0" and what I would estimate around mid 20's BF% First thing I did was the typical go sign up at the gym. I poured through article after article and even tried a "diet" or two and had limited success. I used MFP off and on, but made a lot of mistakes and wasn't as committed nor understood what I do now. Mostly is I wasn't fully committed to the cause, and when I had a severe allergic reaction to a certain "diet" shake, I almost took the easy way out and gave up, and almost gained all the weight back I had lost to that point, which wasn't much.

Fast forward to mid summer, a few things happened that really just made everything click. I found out about intermittent fasting. I started a new workout program...which I abandoned pretty quick because it was fairly advanced but will go back to it soon, and I started eating "healthier". In retrospect if I had known and done what I had started then I would of had a pretty impressive physique for summer time. In less than 6 months I lost over 30 lbs. of mostly fat. Did a planned 1 month recomp just to have a breather, put 10 back on and now I have about 4 more lbs to lose again before I start a clean bulk to last until my birthday in April.

Some things I have learned are, I am glad I was lifting the whole time. I haven't got a ton stronger but I haven't gotten weaker while losing that much weight. I think everyone has something that just makes everything make sense and gives them that self motivation they need. The first 75-90% of fat loss is, in my opinion, fairly easy and stress free, its not until that last little bit where you really have to keep track and be completely honest with yourself is hard. At this point, if I let myself go I can ruin 3 weeks of hard work just like that. For a man a six pack is not over-rated, its awesome and I am oh so close to having a really nice one I can almost taste it.

I wish anyone who is seriously committed to losing weight (fat), the best of luck. It can be intimidating because its a big life change but it is well worth the effort.