Paleo??

Options

Replies

• JLynne64
    JLynne64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've recently been diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance (at age 31) that has caused weight gain and trouble losing weight. I eat healthy and workout 6 days a week. I've researched on common foods that cause these hormone imbalances and grains, dairy, and legumes are some of top contributors. I'm also gluten sensitive so I've decided to give paleo a try. I can eat protein, fruits, veggies, healthy fats, and will eat sweet potatoes for carbs. I Also still plan to drink my vegan shakeology as well.. Its not technically paleo but the benefits of it far outweigh not drinking it. I would also love support from fellow paleo friends!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say that anything that transports or prepares food in anyway is "processing" food and thus is processed food... so unless you are are grabbing food straight from it's source and eating it right away then it's processed foods... however, Paleo requires you to eliminate food sources that can provide needed nutritional sources. Such as eliminating dairy, thus creating a vitamin D deficiency.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of anything that tells me I can't eat something. Like all "plans" is probably has some great ideas and good recipes so looking on Paleo sites for ideas won't be a waste, but you would do better just eating the most nutrient dense whole foods you have available and cooking for yourself rather than buying convenience foods most of the time.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The whole30, which is a super strict paleo style diet, finally decided to allow all potato's. The reason for avoiding them is because it then gives people the green light to eat French fries, potato chips, etc etc. The whole30 is not the same as Paleo but they follow the same eating guidelines. Both 'diets' were created by people and are not set in stone. The idea is to eat healthy, whole, natural, real foods. The only nutrient I had trouble getting during the whole30 (which is like I said, super crazy paleo style dieting) is calcium, but I found you can get more calcium in almond milk than dairy milk so that's not even a problem anymore.

The diet is easy.
    Fruit
    Nut
    Meat
    Veg

YUM!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    Most of your food should need to be refrigerated or frozen.

How on earth is that paleo?

• k8blujay2
    Options
    lindsyrox wrote: »
    The whole30, which is a super strict paleo style diet, finally decided to allow all potato's. The reason for avoiding them is because it then gives people the green light to eat French fries, potato chips, etc etc. The whole30 is not the same as Paleo but they follow the same eating guidelines. Both 'diets' were created by people and are not set in stone. The idea is to eat healthy, whole, natural, real foods. The only nutrient I had trouble getting during the whole30 (which is like I said, super crazy paleo style dieting) is calcium, but I found you can get more calcium in almond milk than dairy milk so that's not even a problem anymore.

The diet is easy.
    Fruit
    Nut
    Meat
    Veg

YUM!

Now I want a burger and fries... that's paleo right?
  • dawnzerlylight
    Options
    I've been following the diet for approximately 5 months and have lost approximately 25 lbs. I like it because there is no logging, measuring, weighing, etc. I find it really easy and feel a lot better. However, there are different levels to it. I have cheese occasionally, I eat a little rice and drink a beer now and then. You don't have to be 'all or nothing' to be successful at it. Also, fruit is okay and even potatoes (sweet and white, although sweet is preferred due to the nutrient density). If you want to lose weight, you may want to keep track of carb levels, so you would limit those items, but they're not forbidden.

I was a little stricter for the first 6 weeks, then added some things back in. I still lost weight, even over the holidays when I kind of didn't worry about it too much. I think my metabolism improved overall.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Most of your food should need to be refrigerated or frozen.

How on earth is that paleo?

I didn't say it was. I said eating fresh whole food (as in not boxed) is a good idea but not unique to paleo.
    And by frozen I don't mean TV dinners. I mean cuts of meat.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am not a fan of anything that tells me I can't eat something. Like all "plans" is probably has some great ideas and good recipes so looking on Paleo sites for ideas won't be a waste, but you would do better just eating the most nutrient dense whole foods you have available and cooking for yourself rather than buying convenience foods most of the time.

^^^^ !!
    'plans' like Paleo also give people motivation to start cooking their own food & come away from convenience foods, they also help people to learn about nutrition, and the importance of dietary fat, which I can't insult it for.
  • CloudyMao
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been following the diet for approximately 5 months and have lost approximately 25 lbs. I like it because there is no logging, measuring, weighing, etc. I find it really easy and feel a lot better. However, there are different levels to it. I have cheese occasionally, I eat a little rice and drink a beer now and then. You don't have to be 'all or nothing' to be successful at it. Also, fruit is okay and even potatoes (sweet and white, although sweet is preferred due to the nutrient density). If you want to lose weight, you may want to keep track of carb levels, so you would limit those items, but they're not forbidden.

I was a little stricter for the first 6 weeks, then added some things back in. I still lost weight, even over the holidays when I kind of didn't worry about it too much. I think my metabolism improved overall.

Paleo is low carb & around 100g or less per day if I recall (it's been over two years since I looked into it) It's VERY easy to eat that low carb when eating (only) whole fresh foods. That's why people on paleo so often end up slipping into ketosis.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

14min into this, and it's quite interesting. Great link ty.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    no sweet potatoes? blasphemy. The sweet potato is almost up there with bacon.
  • CloudyMao
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    no sweet potatoes? blasphemy. The sweet potato is almost up there with bacon.

sweet potatoes are allowed in "traditional" paleo, but are iffy in terms of carb counts. -this list advises you to think "grains are the devil" *sigh-
    Food List
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I need carbs for energy. Without carbs my lifts suffer.

OMG, and this was my thoughts! I wasn't sure how a sweet potato was Paleo, but the other is not. I'm not sure I could construct a meal without a simple carb. Just confused how if that grows , when does it become unnatural. And beans?? I'm not sure, but def open minded.
  • dpaden25
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    What to eat on Paleo (taken from ultimate Paleo Guide)

* Grass-fed meats
    * Fish/seafood
    * Fresh fruits
    * Fresh vegetables
    * Eggs
    * Nuts
    * Seeds
    * Healthy oils (olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)

See that all sounds wonderful, but no dairy, no potatoes, no grains or refined sugars of any sort. :(

I'm totally with you on the potatoes. I'm not sure how that or dairy would work.. can one really 'train' cravings? I've had friends with some success
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Shoot, I need carbs or other people will suffer...
  • dpaden25
    Options

Thanks! Gotta check this out!
  • dpaden25
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

How I feel :neutral_face: Glad I'm not alone!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

I agree. Take away my sammiches and I will hang myself. And no, lettuce wrapped around some meat and cheese is not a sammich!

My husband doesn't fear my monthlys, he fears my cut cycles.