"Completing" days under 1200 calories.

Options
my3boys424
my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
Has MFP stopped allowing you to "complete" days that are under your minimum daily calorie requirement? It used to be that I would just receive a message telling me I wasn't eating enough. Now the day won't close out.

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Mine still closes. I did notice my app is having issues though. It got better with an update.
  • Kates8891
    Kates8891 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not sure but eating under 1200 does not sound healthy at all
  • MegaMeganekko
    Options
    Yeah, it's kind of frustrating.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kates8891 wrote: »

It's common for those doing intermittent fasting like the 5:2 diet and such.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    dawn0293 wrote: »

So for those not using MFP as designed.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Really?? Who are you to say what it is designed for? There are many different ways to get caloric intake in and MFP is actually pretty flexible. It is just a tool for calculating macros and calories.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Not sure why you figure that. I am currently trying out a zigzag 7 day calorie cycle along with intermittent fasting. I still need to count calories and keep track of my exercise and that's what a calorie counting site is for.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I just finished my day at 1170 calories and I was able to "complete." MFP has been "buggy" lately, though. Yesterday, I logged a meal and it hung up and erased everything I did. Today, the page refused to load in the middle of logging and entry.
  • thetragicjoy
    thetragicjoy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some women are advised to eat less than 1200 cal/day, too, if they are shorter than average.

Don't judge - certainly if you don't know the circumstance! We all have our own battles to fight.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It's not recommended. Those that do eat under 1200 should be tiny and completely 100% sedentary.

Do yourself a favor and learn more about TDEE, BMR and calculating a sustainable calorie goal that best fits you.
  • tommyr73
    tommyr73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you set your calorie goal and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who posted helpful replies! It looks like it didn't register because I was actually under 1000 (thanks cyber tone for the link). Today I was at 1100 and it posted. I agree, the app has been a little temperamental though lately.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Also, some of us are neurotic and log our intake even when germs invade and all we eat are a few saltines and some ginger ale for a few days.

There are lots of reasons why someone would have a day with fewer than 1200 calories. Lots of people sensibly look to have a weekly, rather than daily, deficit. Big pig out day could be followed by a very light day...

As long as people aren't eating at an extreme deficit every day indefinitely, they should be fine. Its when it becomes a goal or long term standard that we drift into ED territory.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Not sure why you figure that. I am currently trying out a zigzag 7 day calorie cycle along with intermittent fasting. I still need to count calories and keep track of my exercise and that's what a calorie counting site is for.

If you read the basics of MFP when joining (a chore, I know) you would be sure why I figure that.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

If you read the basics of MFP when joining (a chore, I know) you would be sure why I figure that.

Why is it in every post I see, you have to start some kind of argument?

IF is actually a beneficial method for lots of people. As long as weekly calorie totals look good and you're creating a moderate deficit, why does it matter what the day to day looks like?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Why is it in every post I see, you have to start some kind of argument?

IF is actually a beneficial method for lots of people. As long as weekly calorie totals look good and you're creating a moderate deficit, why does it matter what the day to day looks like?

^^^^^^this^^^^^^ Intermittent Fasting is becoming very popular. I am currently doing 16:8 but may also incorporate the 5:2 diet which entails two days of very low intake. No, not in a row but preceded by a day of higher intake.

Also, @brianperkins there are a lot of people on MFP that follow the weekly calorie goal. Some days are low and some are high but in the end it is what your total calories for the week.
  • IrishDawgg22
    IrishDawgg22 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the thread and the informative responses because I had this same question.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Agree with a lot of the above. To each his own and everyone has their own 'recipe' for weight loss. I personally can get quite a bit of food for under 1000 calories and feel full.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

It is also common for those of us who are older and very short and also do IF.
    I am several years past 65 and under 5 feet and am getting tired of people making blanket statements in regard to eating 1200 calories. For most people it is not enough, but for some of us it is a fair amount of food.