How to continue losing weight AFTER work

Options
2»

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    If you cannot cook, how do you feed a 2 year old?
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Don't overthink what cooking is. You can cook easy meals with simple ingredients without getting fancy...some whole wheat pasta with low-fat alfredo sauce topped with steamed broccoli and mushrooms only costs about $6 total and lasts me and my boyfriend at least two meals. And it only takes 20 minutes to make.
  • chiilipepper
    chiilipepper Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What I do to keep me on track its to cook my meals on Sunday's. I would have sweet potatoes in the oven, rice maker with 2 cups of brown rice, Vegetable steamer, quinoa et and will cook a bunch put it in large Ziploc bags and from there distributed it to small containers when needed, so I always have all my meals ready. There is no temptation to be overly hungry and pull in drive thru. It is very easy to even prepare meals in slow cookers and just utilize the oven. I don't spent hours in the kitchen.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a husband and two kids. I get off work and come home and cook. I'v come up the with quick recipies my family loves. We eat a lot of lean ground beef (tacos, mini meatloaf muffins), ground turkey (turkey burger sliders, spaghetti), boneless skinless chicken breast cut in half and cooked in the frying pan with a little coconut oil and seasoning. We do a lot of brown rice, veggies, and potatoes. My meals don't take more than a half an hour to prepare and cook. My kids want to eat when they get home and want as little whining as possible, so I've had to learn the meals I can cook quickly.

Good luck! Find things you and your child like and then search the web for quick cook recipies.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    if you have a plan ahead it can take you just as much time to throw something together as it does to sit in a drive thru line. the difference is work. I prep and plan dinners, then all I have to do at night is throw them in the wok, oven, slow cooker, etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I often cook dinner in the a.m., before gym, before work. Pre-log, If you have a plan, you tend to stick to it.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I was going to say slow cooker or batch cooking and freezing. For me, it helps if I plan what I will make during my lunch break so that I have a plan when I get home and can have dinner ready in 30 mins. The plan is key for me.

Also - you can use the slow cooker overnight (plan for 10 extra minutes to put food in the fridge in the morning). This worked for me too since I didn't want to get up 30-40 mins early to put stuff in the slow cooker (plus I find most recipes need 8 hrs on low, not 10, so it didn't work with my work schedule). quote]

This is brilliant! I work 10 hour days an hour away from my home, so using the slow cooker while I'm gone is not a great option, but I HATE HATE HATE cooking after I get home. Best tip I've learned from MFP yet :-)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My dinner takes 8 minutes to cook. Maybe 10 total. Anything more than that is not happening. Throw ground turkey in a pan. Throw some vegetables in another. Put them together. Bam.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    tigersword wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I learned to cook watching Rachael Ray.

I'm sorry. (teasing, never liked her, her entire personality just grates on me endlessly.)

I actually picked up most of my cooking knowledge from watching Julia Child, Emeril Lagasse, and Alton Brown. I still say Good Eats is one of the best cooking shows of all time.

Honestly I've never gotten any other reaction than yours when I say that :) But some of us just seem to have a mental block to understanding how raw ingredients turn into a meal unless you show us every.single.step. In order, plus how long it takes and what it looks like when it goes in the pan, while it's cooking and when it's ready to eat.

I learned how to cook from Rachael Ray too! But after I started actually cooking her recipes (they are way too overseasoned for me), I became a much bigger fan of Giada DeLaurentis and Ina Garten. They are my favorites now!

• jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    • Use a slow cooker and put the leftover in meal size containers in the freezer to heat and eat on other nights. Cook a different recipe each week so in time you will have a selection of frozen meals.
    • Make stir fries. To save time buy diced meat and either chop the veges in the morning or buy stir fry mixes. When you get home heat a wok or large fry pan, then stir fry. It will be ready in about 10-15 minutes.
    • Make up a big mince, canned tomato and vege batch in bulk and use this as a bolognese sauce (pasta cooks fast) or add beans and make into burritos (fill of salad) or taco salad without the corn chips.
    • Buy lean steak (pork, beef or lamb) and boneless skinless chicken breast or tenderloins. They cook fast in a pan or George Foreman type grill and can be served with salad or vege.
    • We have 'nibbly night' which is a platter fill of raw vege sticks, hummus, feta, deli meats, rice crackers, roast capsicums etc.
  • chiilipepper
    chiilipepper Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To avoid temptations or overeating after work, I would make sure to eat a healthy lunch and snacks (good and healthy choices) during the day, so when its time to go home and its late and tiring we can reach for a grilled chicken and a nice yummy green salad. The key its to prep meals, so its done in the refrigerator just to heat it up.