Confused, and disappointed in myself.

Options
2»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Adpalangi wrote: »
    I do appreciate all of your replies. Nicely put, and right to the point. The common advice sounds like forgive myself, get back up and do what I need to do. I have done it before so there is no true reason I can't do it again. I'm gonna try no do what was recommended, and stop with the delay right now. If.....no....when I get back on track, and start to feel it, I will post it. I did shop for whole foods this past week, so it's there, gotta get rid of all else. Thank you all. Oh yeah, that one confused, and BAM person your right, I looked back and had posted before, all I know is since Nov, I lost my phone, and was in the process of changing all my passwords on everything, I had quite a mess, and have worked and worked on fixing them, so yes I did have away of sighting in, on and off this time period. Excuses, not really, I myself know what happened, and that's all that really matters.

Excuses ... very really ... a lot of them.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you cannot log in to online calorie counters, try doing it by hand, like we used to do before all this online stuff. Most foods will say on the package how many calories, or are easy enough to find out at least a decent estimate. Get a pad of paper and record/tally it by hand on those days. Back in the eighties that's how we all did it. That way you can keep yourself on top of it and not lose track when you are away from a computer or the internet.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate all of your replies. Nicely put, and right to the point. The common advice sounds like forgive myself, get back up and do what I need to do. I have done it before so there is no true reason I can't do it again. I'm gonna try no do what was recommended, and stop with the delay right now. If.....no....when I get back on track, and start to feel it, I will post it. I did shop for whole foods this past week, so it's there, gotta get rid of all else. Thank you all. Oh yeah, that one confused, and BAM person your right, I looked back and had posted before, all I know is since Nov, I lost my phone, and was in the process of changing all my passwords on everything, I had quite a mess, and have worked and worked on fixing them, so yes I did have away of sighting in, on and off this time period. Excuses, not really, I myself know what happened, and that's all that really matters.

Excuses ... very really ... a lot of them.

Brian, I'm not sure what it is your attempting to do, but it certinally isn't helpful. Please restrain from reading or replying to my post. Obviously, you don't offer any useful advice, and seem to question any posts. I don't know what your trying to prove, but either way it's not helpful. Thanks anyway, but no thanks.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I’m new to MFP so I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to just chime in here but if I may….
    That whole mentality of “one more day and tomorrow I'll start” or “I’m starting my diet on Monday” is just denial. Tomorrow is not magic and neither is Monday. You’ll feel the same feelings you do today so why not start TODAY? (like right NOW). It won’t be any easier tomorrow, or Monday or after the birthday party, or after the Holidays or after the wedding. There will ALWAYS be occasions to eat. The key is to learn to incorporate better eating habits into those occasions and be mindful of what we eat. Tomorrow is always a day away but today is here and now.

I agree that logging everything (even when we feel we went way overboard) is critical to success. Good luck to you all :smile:
    +1

When I started my new life style plan it was lunch at work. I was eating a salad and though "I am going to lift some weights when I get home" (My housemate, bless his little soul, has a bench press set he never uses) And just like that I started.
    hamoncan wrote: »
    Don't be a victim. Our whole culture loves victimhood and tends to wallow in it. Everything is someone or something else's fault. Take responsibility for your choices. If you're shoving too much into your mouth, it's because you choose to. If you don't want to do it any more, then don't. Don't lie to yourself as if it isn't a choice.

I agree. While some people have unhealthy relationships with food it is not the food's fault.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    The fact you think honesty isn't helpful is revealing. So is your detox question. You provided mistruths in your OP and followed them with a series of excuses which you then tried to deny were excuses. Until you get honest with yourself, you will have issues.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Mmm... excuses. Delicious excuses.

I always find it funny when an honest assessment gets flagged. Excuses are common ... people owning up to the fact they made excuses is rare.
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For my entire adult life, (and a little before) I've been of the mentality that I have to "get thinner". As I got older, my motivations for change turned more health conscious. But no matter what the motivation was, it was always a matter of "I've got to make this change"...I've got to start today, tomorrow, next week. It was like I had to flip a switch and just do it.

What I have just recently learned, is that losing weight, and getting healthy...it's not a campaign. Life change doesn't happen because you've planned it, calculated it did everything to a tee. It CAN happen that way, but unless you make changes in the way you see a healthy life, it won't stick. Life change occurs by slowly and gently training yourself to evolve your bad habits into better ones, and the better ones into good ones, and sometimes, the good ones into great ones.

And that's the hard part....retraining yourself. There is a reason, some reason, that you're doing the things that aren't good for you (we're all in that boat, that's how we got here) There is probably a laundry list of stressors in your life that are causing that behavior. But the immediate cause for eating those carbs and sweets? Because it feels better than doing anything else.

It's okay that you want to nurture yourself, it's human nature. No one wants to hurt. No one wants to feel alone, or betrayed, or sad. So we sooth ourselves...but not always the most health conscious ways.

It sounds like you might need to find some better way to sooth yourself when the going gets tough. Change something, ONE thing, and stick with it until that ritual becomes a habit. Until you do it so many times that it feels uncomfortable to not do that. Once you master one, work on another.

Look at your day. When do you really "lose it" and eat something you think you shouldn't? Find some alternative...Me? I like tea lately. So I make a BIG deal out of filling the tea pot, boiling the water until the kettle whistles, smelling the tea before it steeps, while it steeps, after it steeps. It's really only a couple of minutes, but what I'm doing is caring for myself, even just for a moment. But it doesn't have to be tea. It could be a walk, it could be some music. It could be some reading. It could be a bath.

You don't drag yourself into a healthy life, by threat and by frustration. You aren't a dog, and you don't need to rub your nose in what you've done. You take yourself by the hand and guide yourself gently where you'd like to go. When you accept that you're simply developing new habits, you then give yourself the chance to make a couple mistakes along the way. It's alright, you're alright. You'll be okay.

Good luck, and I'm sorry about your sister.
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    The fact you think honesty isn't helpful is revealing. So is your detox question. You provided mistruths in your OP and followed them with a series of excuses which you then tried to deny were excuses. Until you get honest with yourself, you will have issues.

I'm not a dishonest person at all, never have been. Believe what you want. But 2014 has been the best year I've had in the past five years, the weight coming off was real good for me to accomplish something on my own and to stick to it for I think somewhere around six months was huge. I passed several other hurdles this last year too. I made progress with leaps and bounds with my depression / bipolar, and that was a result of some really hard work. And was even allowed to go back to work. I've done really well with myself this year, and I'm not going to take the word of someone I don't even know insult me. What I had going on in nov dec was a fact not an excuse, i did side rail, but other than trying to add some back ground that I thought was helpful to my post is what I was trying to do. Please don't message me again.
  • brianpperkins
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm not a dishonest person at all, never have been. Believe what you want. But 2014 has been the best year I've had in the past five years, the weight coming off was real good for me to accomplish something on my own and to stick to it for I think somewhere around six months was huge. I passed several other hurdles this last year too. I made progress with leaps and bounds with my depression / bipolar, and that was a result of some really hard work. And was even allowed to go back to work. I've done really well with myself this year, and I'm not going to take the word of someone I don't even know insult me. What I had going on in nov dec was a fact not an excuse, i did side rail, but other than trying to add some back ground that I thought was helpful to my post is what I was trying to do. Please don't message me again.

You claimed you hadn't logged on for three months while posting over 13 times in the last two of those months ... I'll be nice and call it a mistruth . Not knowing where your phone is so you can't track .. an excuse. If you find those statements of fact insulting, that is telling of your self image and ability to deal with reality ... something that your posting history shows a long history of.

P.S. I haven't messaged you. I've replied to public comments in public. If you expect a "go girl ... get your detox on" type reply, well, it's not coming from me.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options

You claimed you hadn't logged on for three months while posting over 13 times in the last two of those months ... I'll be nice and call it a mistruth . Not knowing where your phone is so you can't track .. an excuse. If you find those statements of fact insulting, that is telling of your self image and ability to deal with reality ... something that your posting history shows a long history of.

P.S. I haven't messaged you. I've replied to public comments in public. If you expect a "go girl ... get your detox on" type reply, well, it's not coming from me.

I'll give you one:

"Go Girl!"
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »

I'll give you one:

"Go Girl!"

So you think a detox is a good idea for a person who repeatedly sets unrealistic expectations and spent months on a 1000 calorie a day intake even when it caused hair loss, sunken face, and family to note she was eating too little? Certain actions are worthy of positive comments ... nothing I've seen in the OP's actions is.
  • rahnia
    rahnia Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OP, brianpperkins comments are valid. It's a realistic perspective without emotional entanglement. I appreciate that we all take criticism differently. Personally, I love when people pull me back in line with a harsh but fair truth. Brings it to my immediate attention & there's no excuse for me not to change my behaviour. Wish you the best on getting back on track.
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    For my entire adult life, (and a little before) I've been of the mentality that I have to "get thinner". As I got older, my motivations for change turned more health conscious. But no matter what the motivation was, it was always a matter of "I've got to make this change"...I've got to start today, tomorrow, next week. It was like I had to flip a switch and just do it.

What I have just recently learned, is that losing weight, and getting healthy...it's not a campaign. Life change doesn't happen because you've planned it, calculated it did everything to a tee. It CAN happen that way, but unless you make changes in the way you see a healthy life, it won't stick. Life change occurs by slowly and gently training yourself to evolve your bad habits into better ones, and the better ones into good ones, and sometimes, the good ones into great ones.

And that's the hard part....retraining yourself. There is a reason, some reason, that you're doing the things that aren't good for you (we're all in that boat, that's how we got here) There is probably a laundry list of stressors in your life that are causing that behavior. But the immediate cause for eating those carbs and sweets? Because it feels better than doing anything else.

It's okay that you want to nurture yourself, it's human nature. No one wants to hurt. No one wants to feel alone, or betrayed, or sad. So we sooth ourselves...but not always the most health conscious ways.

It sounds like you might need to find some better way to sooth yourself when the going gets tough. Change something, ONE thing, and stick with it until that ritual becomes a habit. Until you do it so many times that it feels uncomfortable to not do that. Once you master one, work on another.

Look at your day. When do you really "lose it" and eat something you think you shouldn't? Find some alternative...Me? I like tea lately. So I make a BIG deal out of filling the tea pot, boiling the water until the kettle whistles, smelling the tea before it steeps, while it steeps, after it steeps. It's really only a couple of minutes, but what I'm doing is caring for myself, even just for a moment. But it doesn't have to be tea. It could be a walk, it could be some music. It could be some reading. It could be a bath.

You don't drag yourself into a healthy life, by threat and by frustration. You aren't a dog, and you don't need to rub your nose in what you've done. You take yourself by the hand and guide yourself gently where you'd like to go. When you accept that you're simply developing new habits, you then give yourself the chance to make a couple mistakes along the way. It's alright, you're alright. You'll be okay.

Good luck, and I'm sorry about your sister.

Thank you so much for your kind advice, it does make a lot of sense. I will try to put that in my mindset to use daily