Gym Attire for Women

Options
tawanda6329
tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Every time I visit the gym, I see women with the Yoga pants that you can see through when they bend over while exercising. Is this done intentionally to catch men? Or do they not realize you can see through their pants when they bend over? I never say anything but I see it every single time. I've seen enough thongs and colorful underwear to last me a life time. If I notice, I would think other women would notice it and eventually stop wearing the thin Yoga pants but no such luck.

Also, I don't quite get the women that were the super short shorts where the behind is almost hanging out. Is this another method to pull guys at the gym?

Not judging. Just curious.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    No clue. It's kind of gross to me. I check my shorts from all angles with a full length mirror to make sure they're decent. If there's any question then I wear leggings under them. Then, sports bra with T shirt or tank top over it. People seem to have trouble differentiating actual yoga pants from footless tights. It's getting kind of old. The last thing I want is dudes hitting on me or staring at me in the gym; I'm married. Even if I were single it's not a meat market ffs!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's intentional. I would put more blame on the manufacturing company using cheaper materials than on women trying to land a man.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think most women don't realize that their skin and underwear show. After repeated washing of workout attire the fabric gets thin. Regarding the short shorts if you can flaunt it, why not?

I also like what gothchiq says, I also check my shorts from all angles before leaving to the gym, I don't not need any embarrassing uniform fail.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do not know. I will make a poll at my gym and ask women that when I see it at the gym this year? I think the answer will be for comfort. Women at my gym tend to wear tighter clothing for that reason.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Lululemon's that I didn't realize were see through for quite some time. The material in the front is more opaque than in the back. I was horrified when I finally noticed. A bunch of their pants were made with this translucent-when-stretched material in 2013.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think it a cheaper material and they arent aware their pants are see thru.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Every time I visit the gym, I see women with the Yoga pants that you can see through when they bend over while exercising. Is this done intentionally to catch men? Or do they not realize you can see through their pants when they bend over? I never say anything but I see it every single time. I've seen enough thongs and colorful underwear to last me a life time. If I notice, I would think other women would notice it and eventually stop wearing the thin Yoga pants but no such luck.

Also, I don't quite get the women that were the super short shorts where the behind is almost hanging out. Is this another method to pull guys at the gym?

Not judging. Just curious.
    I think you are going to the wrong gym.

A proper modern gym has rules that prevent women from showing skin above the ankles or past the wrists.
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wear leggings to work (under dresses and skirts) so sometimes I am lazy and find it easier to not change out of them. I'm married and not super fit, but I just don't care if you can see my underwear. I also wear old tshirts on top, so I'm clearly not a picture of gym fashion.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the women don't realize that their pants have become see through. I had a pair that I didn't know were getting that way until I caught my butt in the mirror and saw.

As for the shorty-shorts: I can't really say anything about that because I wear short shorts when I workout (my junk isn't hanging out but they are pretty short). I don't wear them to "attract attention" (which again, I doubt that there are many women who are dressing up to go to the gym to snag a man. I could be wrong though), I wear them because they're very comfortable and not binding.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I hope none of my yoga/workout pants are see through. If they are, I'm terribly sorry, world! I'll be checking that out from now on...
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    No clue. It's kind of gross to me. I check my shorts from all angles with a full length mirror to make sure they're decent. If there's any question then I wear leggings under them. Then, sports bra with T shirt or tank top over it. People seem to have trouble differentiating actual yoga pants from footless tights. It's getting kind of old. The last thing I want is dudes hitting on me or staring at me in the gym; I'm married. Even if I were single it's not a meat market ffs!
    This (in bold).

At my gym the staff may have a word with people who are "undressed to impress"......this means flaunting oneself in a skimpy sports bra and/or barely there shorts/skorts or the fellas posing up in front of the mirrors with vest off. They look buff and they sure know it.

Dressing appropriately is fair enough in my book, there are a few people who go to this gym who are there under doctors advice for morbid obesity and if it was me I would find it rather disconcerting as opposed to giving me encouragement. I'm sure it is one of the reasons why some of these souls go to a couple of sessions and are never seen again because the showoffs make them feel uncomfortable.

Also it is rank seeing some woman wearing skimpy shorts on a leg adductor/abductor machine...too much on view love, put it away. Yuck!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

If you feel the need to wear leggings beneath your shorts, why not just wear leggings?

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm clearly going to the wrong gym as this never happens in mine...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Also it is rank seeing some woman wearing skimpy shorts on a leg adductor/abductor machine...too much on view love, put it away. Yuck!
    NO! Then I'd have to watch myself when I curl, and that's no fun.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That is my worst fear! Ok now I have to run off to see if my pants are see through. HA Seriously, I don't think they know. Kind of like the LuLu Lemon thing.

Shorty shorts are ok for some. I find that I tend to pull on shorts and things like that so I like the cropped pants version.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    People don't really stare like this and the reality is, most women don't look like this in the gym.

Aerobics_Blasted.gif
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm guessing they don't know that their pants are see through. I spent 30 minutes in Marshall's last week, pulling the fabric on various workout capris as taut as I could to see if they were see through. Probably 50% were see through enough that I wouldn't wear them and at least half of the remaining were partially see through but wearable. I usually just remember to put on dark unders when I put on that type of gym clothes but not everybody is fussed by somebody seeing their striped or fuschia panties.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    My guess is most of them don't realize you can see through the material. I tend to wear workout clothes until they pretty much fall apart or lose elasticity. Fashion is not a focus for me when I exercise. I realized at one point that a pair of mine had become transparent...they weren't originally. I immediately stopped wearing them outside the house.

That being said, there are probably a handful who do it deliberately. There are attention seekers everywhere.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Not just at gym I have seen it at races. Men too if they are wearing compression shorts.
  • tatyanale
    tatyanale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had this question for soooo long....
    You will laugh, but I do not need even worry about it, as my son (15 yo) is watching me when I'm running out of the door :)), so everything is under control.