"Why you gotta be so mean?"

Options

Replies

• Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    chuck636 wrote: »
    Try doing weighted hip thrusts. THEN come back and talk to us. If I worried wtf people thought of me, I wouldn't get 1/2 of my stuff done or more importantly, achieve what I set out to achieve
    661_2.jpg

Second that

Referring to the picture, what muscles would that be working, besides the hip muscles? It looks like almost a total body workout, yes?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I use the squat pad at the gym. Double up when possible. But then it gets hard to scooch under the bar if the padding is too thick
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I use the squat pad at the gym. Double up when possible. But then it gets hard to scooch under the bar if the padding is too thick

I think my setup is wrong then. OH well.

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I set up like the woman in the picture. But I have to use the bench press bench with weights on it or the bench starts moving around.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Try doing weighted hip thrusts. THEN come back and talk to us. If I worried wtf people thought of me, I wouldn't get 1/2 of my stuff done or more importantly, achieve what I set out to achieve
    661_2.jpg

Second that

Referring to the picture, what muscles would that be working, besides the hip muscles? It looks like almost a total body workout, yes?

Glutes, quads, and adductors.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    661_2.jpg

Second that

She is on her tippy toes. SO calfs, hamstrings, and most of all the glutes. I think. That is what I feel when I do they. I found a new way to make that exercise interesting though.

• yopeeps025
    Options

I set up like the woman in the picture. But I have to use the bench press bench with weights on it or the bench starts moving around.

Got ya I fell once trying to lend on the bench and I only had 95 pounds on the bar. Men don't really talk about building their butt but if you think about it you can produce more testosterone and we all know the benefits of that stuff.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Did you fart mid squat? Who knows really, people are freaking weird. Do your thing and don't worry about what some jerk thinks. If you are unsure about your squat form, a good idea would be to set your phone up and take a video of your squats and check out your own form. Then ask some questions and do some research to make sure your form is where it needs to be. This of course has nothing to do with some jerk laughing, and everything to do with keeping you from getting hurt.

This^ Funny and true. Good advice.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Got ya I fell once trying to lend on the bench and I only had 95 pounds on the bar. Men don't really talk about building their butt but if you think about it you can produce more testosterone and we all know the benefits of that stuff.

I position the bar on the ground (like a dead). Just over the end thin end of the bench press bench. I sit down, then move the bar under my hips and center it. then lift.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    The truth is that you have absolutley no idea why he was laughing and are probably projecting it upon yourself due to your own insecurity. I hope that as you lift, you get more confidence in yourself. Next time, if it really bothers you-ask him. I bet it had NOTHING to do with you. And if it was because of you, punch him in the effing face.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    People are a$$es- whatever- if someone was doing that I would ask if I had a tear in my pants probably.

But yeah- you get used to people looking at you doing weird things. It is what it is.

And I second getting weird looks for doing hip thrusts-eveyrone goes "don't make eye contact!!!" RUBBISH!!! you start putting two plates on there no one is making fun of you. - and then I dare them to look at me-MASSIVE_ LONG_ HARD COLD EYE CONTACT.... because my eyes say- yes- my vagina will rape you- you see this- this steel I'm throwing around.

WIll.
    RAPE.
    YOU.

You don't really have to say it- you can just transmit the message with your eyes- people stop looking at you funny.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    The truth is that you have absolutley no idea why he was laughing and are probably projecting it upon yourself due to your own insecurity. I hope that as you lift, you get more confidence in yourself. Next time, if it really bothers you-ask him. I bet it had NOTHING to do with you. And if it was because of you, punch him in the effing face.

Think about it though. You go to the gym and you are new to lifting. You start doing squats to see a guy looking and snicker to what appears to be only you two there. I get where OP is coming from.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What they all said, do your thing, but if that worried, then I would make whoever runs the gym aware of your concerns, so that if it happens again you know who o go to and you have a pattern of behaviour. If they did it again id ask them firmly what they thought they were doing and if unsatisfied with the response id just make a complaint, simples. You have every right to use the gym and not be harassed by an immature ahole.

Its very rare to hear of things like this and would be frowned on by the vast majority, so dont let yourself be intimidated.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    People are a$$es- whatever- if someone was doing that I would ask if I had a tear in my pants probably.

But yeah- you get used to people looking at you doing weird things. It is what it is.

And I second getting weird looks for doing hip thrusts-eveyrone goes "don't make eye contact!!!" RUBBISH!!! you start putting two plates on there no one is making fun of you. - and then I dare them to look at me-MASSIVE_ LONG_ HARD COLD EYE CONTACT.... because my eyes say- yes- my vagina will rape you- you see this- this steel I'm throwing around.

WIll.
    RAPE.
    YOU.

You don't really have to say it- you can just transmit the message with your eyes- people stop looking at you funny.

We should do hip thrusts at the same time. Facing at each other. Grunting.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. If he was laughing about you, it says more about him than you. Keep doin your thing :)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Really though which muscles are technically bigger in the body. Quads and hams. any other muscle bigger than the glutes besides those two? Maybe pecs but I think the glutes are bigger. Idk.
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lana0715 wrote: »
    Please mind your own business and keep your laughing to yourself if you think something or someone looks funny doing something especially at a gym.
    Why should he? How about you keep your "offending" to yourself?

What I mean is, he finds something about you (if that even was about you) funny... good for him. You find it offensive or discouraging, or intimidating, or whatever... good for you. None of you are entitled not to feel the way you do and none of you are entitled to hide those emotions either.

It's kinda like sticking your nose in a business what is not your's. It's not his business what kind of weight you lift or what kind of form you have, etc. And it's not your's what he is laughing about.

What I'm saying is, it's you who are doing the offending/intimidating, to yourself. It's not him. Might as well be a very fit looking lady sitting there and then she looks at you and you go "don't look at me, you're in so good shape and I'm not, you are intimidating me, are you making a point looking at me?". While she would just look around cos... people tend to do that sometimes, ya know, we have... eyes. In that extreme example, is it your fault for being shy/nervous/low self esteem or is it her's for having the eyes? Same concept here.
    Just a bit of my day and hope someone can learn from it.

I think that the MAIN person who should learn something from this is YOU. Observe your self confidence problems and work on them. That is the real problem and not guy having a lough about your squatting butt.

Focus on the fact that you are working on your health and body. On exercises you are doing and not what others at gym are doing. Getting healthy and fit should be about YOU and not about others.

I probably ended up sounding like an ahole. No h8, m8. Duces.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Please mind your own business and keep your laughing to yourself if you think something or someone looks funny doing something especially at a gym.

What I mean is, he finds something about you (if that even was about you) funny... good for him. You find it offensive or discouraging, or intimidating, or whatever... good for you. None of you are entitled not to feel the way you do and none of you are entitled to hide those emotions either.

It's kinda like sticking your nose in a business what is not your's. It's not his business what kind of weight you lift or what kind of form you have, etc. And it's not your's what he is lough ting about.

What I'm saying is, it's you who are doing the offending/intimidating, to yourself. It's not him. Might as well be a very fit looking lady sitting there and the she looks at you and you go "don't look at me, you're in so good shape and I'm not, you are intimidating me, are you making a point looking at me?". While she would just look around cos... people tend to do that sometimes, ya know, we have... eyes. In that extreme example is it your fault for being shy/nervous/low self esteem or is it her's for having the eyes? Same concept here.

I think that that the MAIN person who should learn something from this is YOU. Observe your self confidence problems and work on them. That is a real problem and not guy having a lough about your squatting butt.

Focus on the fact that you are working on your health and body. On exercises you are doing and not what others at gym are doing. Getting healthy and fit should be about YOU and not about others.

Errr no she has a right to be left alone without being harassed or ridiculed by another member. It was obviously done in an offputting way and it unnerved her. If he finds something funny thats fine but he can go and laugh oustide instead of doing it in a discourteous and offputting way. I confrim you neded up soundling like you intended.
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

It's kinda like sticking your nose in a business what is not your's. It's not his business what kind of weight you lift or what kind of form you have, etc. And it's not your's what he is lough ting about.

What I'm saying is, it's you who are doing the offending/intimidating, to yourself. It's not him. Might as well be a very fit looking lady sitting there and the she looks at you and you go "don't look at me, you're in so good shape and I'm not, you are intimidating me, are you making a point looking at me?". While she would just look around cos... people tend to do that sometimes, ya know, we have... eyes. In that extreme example is it your fault for being shy/nervous/low self esteem or is it her's for having the eyes? Same concept here.

I think that that the MAIN person who should learn something from this is YOU. Observe your self confidence problems and work on them. That is a real problem and not guy having a lough about your squatting butt.

Errr no she has a right to be left alone without being harassed or ridiculed by another member. It was obviously done in an offputting way and it unnerved her. If he finds something funny thats fine but he can go and laugh oustide instead of doing it in a discourteous and offputting way. I confrim you neded up soundling like you intended.

Everybody has right to be left alone but nobody is entitled to actually leave them alone, unless they are breaking the law.

In this case calling it harassment or being ridiculed is very huge exaggeration.