What made you decied to lose weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rachelchase40
    rachelchase40 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    • I had outgrown all of my jeans and would not allow myself to buy new ones so I wore sweats and yoga pants (read: anything with some give/ stretch) for 2 years (I wasn't a big fan of jeans anyway so it wasn't a huge deal for me but now that I can fit into them I love them)
    • I had to go shopping for new shorts for vacation this summer because I had outgrown my others about 2 years prior and was horrified and in a little bit of denial at the size that fit. (I wore mostly dresses the summer of 2013 but I was starting to outgrow some of them)
    • The reason that really did it was I was only 7 lbs away from 200 lbs (a number I swore to myself I would never get to)
    I found MFP that night and have been on it ever since :)
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My bellydance costume- so, yeah, pure vanity. I keep getting paired up with these super tiny 18-19 yr old girls (which made me look even larger-I'm 45yrs old). Seeing the photographic evidence has kept me focused on not giving up. The good news is, I am getting happier and happier with each photo- I am looking better and not hiding in the back or even avoiding photos. The latest bellydance photos push me to realize that I can do this-even with setbacks, I can get there with dedication and time. I'm still a work in progress, but I am excited for the upcoming season and I am looking forward to watching my progress in every photo. Who knows, maybe this will be the year I won't be to self concious of my body to do a solo.
  • bigsisv
    bigsisv Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My mom is 75 yrs. old and gets up everyday to work out. She does Zumba, Free weights and the Elliptical. I am 49 and can't keep up with her. I am also the heaviest I have been even when I was pregnant 22 yrs ago. I played all kinds of sports in school so there is no excuse except I got really lazy.. I also want to go to Hawaii next year for my 50th b-day and refuse to look like a moo moo on the beach. I tried Weight watchers and it did work but I gained all the weight back plus some. I decided I am going to try MFP, log my foods and work out at least 5 days a week. I used my MFP before and it works as well, plus it's free.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Several things:

- Unhappy with my appearance (reflection/photos)
    - general discomfort
    - difficulty performing normal everyday activities
    - difficulty keeping up with friends/family
    - fear of diabetes/heart disease
    - ill-fitting clothing

I'm sure there are more.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    For me it was a horrible photo, and the fact that I didn't want to buy bigger clothes anymore. And I got engaged and I want to look PERFECT for the wedding pictures.

Interestingly, after I lost 30 lbs, I took a new photo from the same angle in the same dress from the horrible photo. While I definitely look a lot thinner now, the dress STILL looks like crap on me and makes me look heavier than I am. The dress is now at goodwill.

That made me laugh! Sounds like something that would happen to me. I also was spurred to action in part by a photo. I wonder how many weight-loss attempts have been spurred by Facebook photos? A lot, I bet.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    dclark566 wrote: »
    A horrifying picture of myself.

^^ this

I actually didn't know it was me in the photo. it was from my friend's baby shower and I couldn't figure out who it was. then I realized it was me. WoW :s

• kellywa1179
    kellywa1179 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have always been very active with hiking, backpacking, kayaking and anything outdoors. It was a very hard year last year, and I stress ate myself to 202 pounds. Even just small hikes would cause me sweat like a river, and I could not catch my breath, and I could hear my heart pound in my ears and it genuinely scared me. I also could not lift myself out of my kayak anymore. I do not want to give up the things I love because of my weight.
  • doublew55
    doublew55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What was your moment, your wake up call, the straw that broke the camels back, that deciding factor that made you want lose weight?
    I'm tired of the way I look and not having the energy for morning walks and bycicle riding that I had 10 years ago. I'm just disgusted with how I let myself go. I quit smoking for my health 10 years ago and gained 65 pounds. It's time to get serious about losing it now.
  • lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A few things. I was going on a BBQ tour vacation in North and South Carolina. I hadn't been on a plane in a long time. I got the middle seat on a five hour plane ride. I could hardly get the belt on. I was out of breath and sweating by the time I did. Also the disappointed looks on the faces of the people that had to sit with me. I spent the whole flight trying to keep me in my own seating space. I was embarrassed and not looking forward to the flight home.
    I needed to go buy new jeans. I tried a few pairs on and realized that I could no longer fit into any at the store. I would need to look for big and tall places. Until I found new jeans I had to wear painfully tight ones at work.
    After the last incident I decided I needed to weigh myself to see where I was at. My very fit Sister said I could use her scale. Her scale maxed out at 300 lbs. I couldn't get a reading.
    That was the last straw. I bought a digital scale that weighed up to 400 lbs. I weighed in at 329. I couldn't BS myself anymore. I am down to 253 now. I haven't felt this good in years. I have a way to go but I never want to feel like I did before again.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Seeing my wedding pictures. That was me at my heaviest, and it shows! I'm actually still a little embarrassed by them, but nothing I can about it except to use it for motivation to get down to where I want to be. I do plan on taking pictures in the dress when I get to my target weight and see what it looks like though. XD
  • doublew55
    doublew55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of the way I look and not having the energy for morning walks and bycicle riding that I had 10 years ago. I'm just disgusted with how I let myself go. I quit smoking for my health 10 years ago and gained 65 pounds. It's time to get serious about losing it now.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was tired of feeling bad about myself. I was tired of trying on clothes that fit 6 months ago and now I can't even get into them. I was tired of feeling lazy and sluggish. I was tired of not being able to find clothes in my size. And of course pictures. It was a lot of different things for me.
  • cryst9sm
    Options
    When I started trying to cover my gut with long scarfs and my purse in photos. I have become almost unrecognizable to myself and I hate it.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was just being supportive of my SO and thought she'd feel better if I "suffered" along with her so I got the app she was using -- then I was surprised how easy it was (esp. for a larger than avg. guy) to lose weight and liked the result -- she kind of gave up (not much to lose anyways) and I've just kept on going