Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    So for those not using MFP as designed.

Not sure why you figure that. I am currently trying out a zigzag 7 day calorie cycle along with intermittent fasting. I still need to count calories and keep track of my exercise and that's what a calorie counting site is for.

If you read the basics of MFP when joining (a chore, I know) you would be sure why I figure that.

Why is it in every post I see, you have to start some kind of argument?

IF is actually a beneficial method for lots of people. As long as weekly calorie totals look good and you're creating a moderate deficit, why does it matter what the day to day looks like?

^^^^^^this^^^^^^ Intermittent Fasting is becoming very popular. I am currently doing 16:8 but may also incorporate the 5:2 diet which entails two days of very low intake. No, not in a row but preceded by a day of higher intake.

Also, @brianperkins there are a lot of people on MFP that follow the weekly calorie goal. Some days are low and some are high but in the end it is what your total calories for the week.

@ksy1969 ... that isn't what MFP is designed for which is why the warnings appear when you eat too low. Again, that is evident if one reads the details of the site.
  • MayBabyChristine
    MayBabyChristine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just ran across the same problem. It is under 1000 calories (for women) that will bounce back to you. It appears that the day will remain logged regardless, but you won't get that message on news feed that says you completed the day.

As for calorie intake, I ate what I ate today and now I'm not hungry. Might be because I had a double helping of pasta last night. So yes, I agree that multiple consecutive days under 1000 would be worrisome, but I echo the opinion that we shouldn't be so quick to judge!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Not sure why you figure that. I am currently trying out a zigzag 7 day calorie cycle along with intermittent fasting. I still need to count calories and keep track of my exercise and that's what a calorie counting site is for.

If you read the basics of MFP when joining (a chore, I know) you would be sure why I figure that.

Why is it in every post I see, you have to start some kind of argument?

IF is actually a beneficial method for lots of people. As long as weekly calorie totals look good and you're creating a moderate deficit, why does it matter what the day to day looks like?

^^^^^^this^^^^^^ Intermittent Fasting is becoming very popular. I am currently doing 16:8 but may also incorporate the 5:2 diet which entails two days of very low intake. No, not in a row but preceded by a day of higher intake.

Also, @brianperkins there are a lot of people on MFP that follow the weekly calorie goal. Some days are low and some are high but in the end it is what your total calories for the week.

@ksy1969 ... that isn't what MFP is designed for which is why the warnings appear when you eat too low. Again, that is evident if one reads the details of the site.

It's apparent that you are unwilling to understand what others are trying to say to you. This app is simply a tool. A tool that you can personally shape and mold to your liking. Half the people here that use TDEE-20% aren't using the app to the exact method presented to them by MFP.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

If by 'basics' you mean the TOS, I did and I just checked it again. What you are talking about is not a breach of user agreement, and nowhere to be found under prohibited uses. Looks like I am free to count calories the way I choose to, how scandalous.

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that about under 1000 not posting. Learned something today
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

If by 'basics' you mean the TOS, I did and I just checked it again. What you are talking about is not a breach of user agreement, and nowhere to be found under prohibited uses. Looks like I am free to count calories the way I choose to, how scandalous.

:laugh:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Kates8891 wrote:
    eating under 1200 does not sound healthy at all
    Unless you're very short, it isn't.
    dawn0293 wrote:
    It's common for those doing intermittent fasting like the 5:2 diet and such.
    ksy1969 wrote:
    Who are you to say what it is designed for?
    Maybe he read the rules?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that (sic) encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving.
    Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote:
    I am several years past 65 and under 5 feet and am getting tired of people making blanket statements in regard to eating 1200 calories. For most people it is not enough, but for some of us it is a fair amount of food.
    For the outliers (very short people), breaking the general rule could work out fine.

But 1200 cal for women / 1500 cal for men isn't something that some random anonymous internet person came up with, it's science, put forth by such radical groups as the FDA, NIH, USDA, etc.
    Those are the lowest levels to eat for an average-sized person to be able to get the minimum amount of nutrients a person needs.
  • dawn0293
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Kates8891 wrote:
    eating under 1200 does not sound healthy at all
    Unless you're very short, it isn't.
    dawn0293 wrote:
    It's common for those doing intermittent fasting like the 5:2 diet and such.
    ksy1969 wrote:
    Who are you to say what it is designed for?
    Maybe he read the rules?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that (sic) encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving.
    Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders? Their goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate? Then MFP works with intermittent fasting just fine. You are getting the same dose of calories for the week as you would if you split it evenly up into days. You lose the same amount of weight. It's not a starvation technique nor is it dangerous. Can we stop pretending that this 'guideline' wasn't written for the expressed purpose of keeping out the pro-ana crap and not for the kinds of diets that have active groups which have been around for years on this site now?
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    This site is designed to produce a daily caloric goal based upon Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis. It is not designed around weekly intakes. It is not designed for whatever IF program you choose. You may have noticed that at no point during setup were there any entries regarding fasting.

Get as defensive and laughably flag happy as you want about those simple facts.

• Chellebear01
    Chellebear01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did not know about the 1000 calorie day not closing issue. Thanks for letting us know.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your height/weight are, my wife is 5', 118 lbs and it lets her go to 1100 without the error, If i try it it errors
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    If you're under 1000 calories it won't complete.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the rudeness of some, DEFINITELY not all, of the replies here. We all have our own battles we are fighting, and you know what, we all have our own way to lose weight. Though fasting of any sort isn't what I want to do, I am not going to lecture somebody about them doing it when I really am not that educated to how it works or how healthy it is. With all that said, yeah, the app has been a little weird lately. I normally never eat under 1200 calories, but now that I am pregnant, my appetite is a little funky lately and some days I have a hard time eating even 1200 calories where I have to force myself to eat, and then I am still not up to 1200 calories... But I did notice that when I had sick/no appetite days it would still tell me my guesstimated weight for the weeks ahead, which was always low on those days because it was a super low day... but now when i have sick/no appetite days, it just pops up a screen telling me I ate under 1200 cals but no weight guesstimation. So i think its something relatively new with the site. Hopefully I wont have to see it much, once I get my appetite back lol
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think the design of this feature is to deter those who support very unhealthy lifestyles. It could become a liability if the company didn't have protective measures and specific guidelines in place.
  • dawn0293
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This site is designed to produce a daily caloric goal based upon Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis. It is not designed around weekly intakes. It is not designed for whatever IF program you choose.

It's a calorie counting tool made to count calories. It has a basic design because it would be madness to try and create something that accounts for every single diet on the market. It just happens to come with additional warnings at the whim of the tool creator's lawyers to deter potential legal headaches should anyone drop dead from an eating disorder while using said tool. Tools have been adapted to suit different purposes since the dawn of time. If I want to zig zag my calories and have different daily goals while tracking then this tool still works for me, the consumer, and that's what's important from a business standpoint. If they did not want consumers to be able to make this tool adaptable to consumer's needs, they would not allow plug-ins.

1tco2znin2uj.jpg

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    This site is designed to produce a daily caloric goal based upon Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis. It is not designed around weekly intakes. It is not designed for whatever IF program you choose. You may have noticed that at no point during setup were there any entries regarding fasting.

@brianpperkins you operate in black and white don't you? There is no gray with you?

You are wrong though, the site does allow you to track weekly calories. You enter your calories based on a 24 hour period but you can see where you are sitting on your weekly totals. At least you can on the apps. I can see my caloric intake for the current 7 day period and as each day goes on the number gradually gets smaller till the last day of the week and then it resets.

The site also works just fine with the TDEE method as well. Just enter exercise as 1 calorie or don't track exercise and it functions just fine.

It is NOT limited to the NEAT method as you keep insisting. How it was designed and how it can be utilized is two different things.

• brianpperkins
    Options

@brianpperkins you operate in black and white don't you? There is no gray with you?

You are wrong though, the site does allow you to track weekly calories. You enter your calories based on a 24 hour period but you can see where you are sitting on your weekly totals. At least you can on the apps. I can see my caloric intake for the current 7 day period and as each day goes on the number gradually gets smaller till the last day of the week and then it resets.

The site also works just fine with the TDEE method as well. Just enter exercise as 1 calorie or don't track exercise and it functions just fine.

It is NOT limited to the NEAT method as you keep insisting. How it was designed and how it can be utilized is two different things.

So you enter things incorrectly to get what you want ... then say it that the site will "allow" ... not that it is designed for things. I didn't say the site was "limited" to NEAT, I said it was designed for it. In your attempt to play word games, you tried to change what was actually said to fit your narrative. That's quite sad.

• brianpperkins
    Options
    Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks MFP was not designed for ... and according to some, not compatible with ... fasting diets.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10046388/make-mfp-5-2-fast-diet-compatible

• Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would up those calories a little bit. For health reasons of course