How do i get excited about working out.

24

Replies

  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    I don't think anyone here can "help" you. YOU HAVE TO WANT IT. I absolutely hate working out, and I have a lot of excuses not to do it. But I do it anyway because I WANT TO CHANGE. When you really want to do this, you will find a way to make it happen
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Maybe workout with a buddy or do 10-20 minute youtube workouts. Use Pinterest to see motivation and fitness pins, that usually helps me. And think about the long term benefits. Anticipation is far greater than the actual activity, go into it feeling neutral and then feel good that you are getting your workout done.

    If youtube seems boring then do some dance. Dance around to your favorite songs, as long as you keep moving. Its okay to workout for a little and take breaks.
  • JennJayBee
    JennJayBee Posts: 45 Member
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Try different things, find something you like.

    This. This. This.

    If you don't like it, you won't do it. I'd also ad.. Find something convenient. I started walking because the track is on way home when I drop my daughter off at school every morning. I'm not going out of my way to do it, so I'm more likely to do it.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    edited January 2015
    I would just work out during your work week (30 minutes or so each day) and leave your one day off as a rest day unless it's an activity you want to do.
  • I work 10 hours a day 6 days weeks
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited January 2015
    You have over 5 hours everyday that you are not working or sleeping. Find something you like to do and do it. Do something active on your day off too. Thats a whole day to relax and sleep in or catch up on other things. Anyone could fit in 30 minutes of something.

    Its not as hard as you are making it out to be.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Like lots of things, you have to do it whether you like it or not. And after you do it for a while, you'll start to like it because you'll like the results.

    30 minutes really isn't that long. And when it's over, you'll feel great!
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Here's an approach that always works for me: make a kick *kitten* high intensity playlist that you only get to listen to when working out. Sounds silly, but helps when you don't want to go. I also employ the 10 minute rule. I commit to ten minutes and if I'm not feeling it, I can leave. But: with a great playlist and already ten minutes in I always decide to stay. And feel so much better for it.
    I should also add I too work crazy hours: two jobs and have a kiddo to parent. On days I can't get to the gym we put on Just Dance and dance our butts off! Fun for the whole family :D hope this helps! Good luck!!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited January 2015
    I work 10 hours a day 6 days weeks

    And I work part time while carrying a full class load, maintain a straight A GPA (mostly), and still work out. I'm always up early, and I get home late and do homework. My day off is spent doing homework and I go to the gym.

    Here is how I make it work: the first thing I do when I get my schedule is figure out my workout schedule. 3 days of lifting needs to squeeze in there somewhere. I do food prep to save time and so that I won't make choices that don't fit into my macros. I force myself to ride my bike to and from class (I drive part way and park my car), totaling 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Yeah, it's dark when I leave. But, I've carefully mapped out where I park so that my ride is on a mixed use path and not on city streets in the dark. All of this has taken planning and creativity. I wish I could fit more running in, but hell, it's not like I'm sedentary at this point. So, balance it is.

    EVERYONE is busy. But, if exercise is something that you want in your life, then you have to figure out the difference between a reason and an excuse. You don't HAVE to work out, but there will be consequences down the road for that choice. It is a choice, though, and you have to decide for you whether it's worth it to make it happen and to force yourself to do it.
  • Thanks guys for everyones help . A student of mine suggested a fitbit . I going to make this happen. Thank
    bkerr30 wrote: »
    Here's an approach that always works for me: make a kick *kitten* high intensity playlist that you only get to listen to when working out. Sounds silly, but helps when you don't want to go. I also employ the 10 minute rule. I commit to ten minutes and if I'm not feeling it, I can leave. But: with a great playlist and already ten minutes in I always decide to stay. And feel so much better for it.
    I should also add I too work crazy hours: two jobs and have a kiddo to parent. On days I can't get to the gym we put on Just Dance and dance our butts off! Fun for the whole family :D hope this helps! Good luck!!

  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Take a gym bag to work and when you are ready to leave make a pit stop at the bathroom and change into your gym clothes. I swear the minute I put them on, I get mentally ready. While in the car eat a small snack so that you can sustain a workout without exhaustion. I usually have a handful of nuts or a banana on hand, I bring a pre-workout powder for those days I'm dragging my feet behind my *kitten*, and always have the Ipod, headphones, and a water bottle in tow. Otherwise, get up a whole lot earlier and go before work (this will never happen for me, I am NOT an early person!!!).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,551 Member
    You don't have to love working out- you just have to be prepared to go do it.

    I don't want to go work out every day- I don't want to go to dance class- i don't want to get up in the mornings for work- I don't want to brush my teeth- or clean the kitty liter or take out the trash.

    But I do it- because its' what needs to be done.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    The only way to be excited is to do something you enjoy. Period.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You don't have to love working out- you just have to be prepared to go do it.

    I don't want to go work out every day- I don't want to go to dance class- i don't want to get up in the mornings for work- I don't want to brush my teeth- or clean the kitty liter or take out the trash.

    But I do it- because its' what needs to be done.

    What Jo said and I'll add this.

    There have been a ton of days where I sat on the couch and did nothing. A ton of days when I was fired up as hell and couldn't wait to the hit the weights, and a ton of days when I was on the couch and said "ok, slacker let's go do SOMETHING."

    The only days I've regretted are the ones I never left the couch. I have NEVER walked out of the gym thinking "it was a mistake to come here and sweat."

  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You don't have to love working out- you just have to be prepared to go do it.

    I don't want to go work out every day- I don't want to go to dance class- i don't want to get up in the mornings for work- I don't want to brush my teeth- or clean the kitty liter or take out the trash.

    But I do it- because its' what needs to be done.

    What Jo said and I'll add this.

    There have been a ton of days where I sat on the couch and did nothing. A ton of days when I was fired up as hell and couldn't wait to the hit the weights, and a ton of days when I was on the couch and said "ok, slacker let's go do SOMETHING."

    The only days I've regretted are the ones I never left the couch. I have NEVER walked out of the gym thinking "it was a mistake to come here and sweat."

    I might say like man I regret missing an occasion to go to the gym. Actually NOPE.
  • misshazel27
    misshazel27 Posts: 4 Member
    I have a small daughter she's 1 takes a lot of my time so my day starts at 530 am get get to daycare for 7am for me to be to work at 8am I go on my lunch break from 12-1pm I do 45 mins of cardio and then go back at 4-5pm to do another 45min then I head home to get my daughter from day care so with that being said I try in find the in between time to go I do this 5days a wk and wknds off its the lil work outs that counts and rest on my wknd so u can do it during the wk and still have ur day off talk urself into doing it good luck with everything
  • I'm a single mom with 2 kids a full time job and I've lost 56 lbs. trust me if I can do it u can too. Today I went to the gym while a tv show I liked was on. I took my headphones and watched it and burned over 300 calories. Find something u like to do or something that's convenient. Search ur heart for motivation on why u started in the first place. Do I always want to go to the gym? No I do not but I am only 14 lbs away from my goal and I want a new bathing suit! Good luck to u! It's not easy but it's so worth it in the end!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Are you a competitive person? I find that trying to break my personal bests makes it more fun.

    Or, try a sports league. Basketball, softball, kickball, whatever.

    And having a workout buddy helps. Makes you accountable on those days you just aren't feeling it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You don't have to love working out- you just have to be prepared to go do it.

    I don't want to go work out every day- I don't want to go to dance class- i don't want to get up in the mornings for work- I don't want to brush my teeth- or clean the kitty liter or take out the trash.

    But I do it- because its' what needs to be done.

    What Jo said and I'll add this.

    There have been a ton of days where I sat on the couch and did nothing. A ton of days when I was fired up as hell and couldn't wait to the hit the weights, and a ton of days when I was on the couch and said "ok, slacker let's go do SOMETHING."

    The only days I've regretted are the ones I never left the couch. I have NEVER walked out of the gym thinking "it was a mistake to come here and sweat."

    + 1

    Now, I have regretted it the day after once or twice :wink:

    Public service announcement: if your getting over the flu and have felt decent for a few days, don't jump back into anything too strenuous. Wait another couple of days. Relapses are a *kitten*.

    Editing because my post was cut off: OP, if you get a lunch break, that's a good time to get some exercise in without having to get up early or cut into the rest of your day.
  • jennaration84
    jennaration84 Posts: 2 Member
    Everyone has different tipping points for motivation. A fitbit may be the thing that gets you going and if you find a activity you love (walking, squash, biking, etc) it won't be a burden. I personally hated working out until one day I just decided to follow a program to completion (p90x) no matter what (I also worked 12 hour shifts, it's possible if you want it). I did it because I knew I was athletic and wanted to be fit again. At first it sucked but as I forced myself to stay with it I actually found myself craving it. After the first 30 days I realized it would be a shame to stop. Also when you feel yourself getting stronger and more fit it is addictive. I suggest something like Beachbody's "10 minute trainer". It's only ten minutes, if you stick with that you can move up. The key is routine and consistency.