What's the deal with the obsession of sweets?

Options
Okay, so I've noticed that a lot of people with binge-eating problems really go after sweets. I am definitely a love of sweets but it's hot and cold for me. I don't really eat many sweets unless it's the holidays or I've bought a pack of cookies or a candy bar or something. I do really like cake and icing but it doesn't have the same urgency for me as for a lot of people. Why do you think other people (or yourself) can basically eat thousands of calories in mostly sugar and carbs and not get tired of it? Basically, I know a lot of younger girls who get most of their calories from sugary drinks, milkshakes, and desserts and don't even eat regular food. This baffles me because eating a proper meal seems much better to me. Is it because the lack of fiber and nutrients in sweet food, or maybe it's because of the presentation of sweet food? Most desserts look a certain way, gooey or colorful, presented as very tempting. Is the society's emphasis on sweet foods to represent celebration and love (Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, etc?)

This sort of obsession is definitely reinforced my social media and dieters, to an extent. People love posting desserts even if it's only to sigh "I wish I could eat that" or plan to have an indulges after doing well for a little while. I think part of it comes down to the moral implications of certain foods. Meat, grease, and condiments like mayo are sort of are like stereotypical of fat people. If you don't want to "look like a fatty" in front of your friends, you aren't going to order a burger, even if the latte or dessert your ordered has just as many calories. Cakes and chocolate are sort of universally adored. I mean, are people going to judge you more if you are sipping a milkshake or digging into some mayo-laden fat monstrosity?

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Because it tastes delicious and fits into my goals?

And I will gladly eat my hunks of cheese and bottles of wine infront of anyone, don't give a shiz about judgement.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    .I don't know. I do think some people have naturally more of a sweet tooth than others but part of it might be conditioning to love that kind of food which is definitely presented very attractively.
    I don't crave sweets. I crave salty foods. I'm not a binge eater but have much more trouble not eating a too large portion of chips, crackers or cheese. I can eat a small serving of something sweet and not want more for a long time.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I used to have a big sweet tooth. Once I realized how much insulin I will need to stab myself with to have that chocolate cake (and the horrible blood sugar spikes afterwards) and constantly stuffing my face with glucose tablets and jelly beans during a hypoglycemia episode, I no longer crave a ton of sugar. Yes, I still like having my evening cup of hot chocolate and whipped cream (only 16g of carbs :heart_eyes: ) and consider fruit and whipped cream to be a really great dessert (I guess you're figuring out the pattern. I love whipped cream), but I noticed that I now crave more savory foods than sweet foods.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i have a serious sweet tooth. not gonna lie, my husband hides any sweets he brings home for him,because he KNOWS I will inhale it iff I find it.

That being said, I can also plow through hashbrowns.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    High Fructose Corn Syrup would be my guess. They are empty calories so you don't feel full after eating them.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    laciemn wrote: »
    Okay, so I've noticed that a lot of people with binge-eating problems really go after sweets. I am definitely a love of sweets but it's hot and cold for me. I don't really eat many sweets unless it's the holidays or I've bought a pack of cookies or a candy bar or something. I do really like cake and icing but it doesn't have the same urgency for me as for a lot of people. Why do you think other people (or yourself) can basically eat thousands of calories in mostly sugar and carbs and not get tired of it? Basically, I know a lot of younger girls who get most of their calories from sugary drinks, milkshakes, and desserts and don't even eat regular food. This baffles me because eating a proper meal seems much better to me. Is it because the lack of fiber and nutrients in sweet food, or maybe it's because of the presentation of sweet food? Most desserts look a certain way, gooey or colorful, presented as very tempting. Is the society's emphasis on sweet foods to represent celebration and love (Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, etc?)

This sort of obsession is definitely reinforced my social media and dieters, to an extent. People love posting desserts even if it's only to sigh "I wish I could eat that" or plan to have an indulges after doing well for a little while. I think part of it comes down to the moral implications of certain foods. Meat, grease, and condiments like mayo are sort of are like stereotypical of fat people. If you don't want to "look like a fatty" in front of your friends, you aren't going to order a burger, even if the latte or dessert your ordered has just as many calories. Cakes and chocolate are sort of universally adored. I mean, are people going to judge you more if you are sipping a milkshake or digging into some mayo-laden fat monstrosity?

I really don't understand your post. Are you saying that certain people are more prone to binging on sweets, or that sweets have a more positive stigma than burgers and fried foods? I think if people are concerned about judgement from others regarding what they order or what you post on Facebook that you are eating, they have self esteem issues and potentially disordered thinking about food and should probably seek help with that.

I'm w/ Jkwolly, I eat burgers and ice cream and don't fear judgement from anyone because I have worked them into my calorie goals for the day. Although my burger doesn't have mayo on it because blech!

• jkwolly
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

I really don't understand your post. Are you saying that certain people are more prone to binging on sweets, or that sweets have a more positive stigma than burgers and fried foods? I think if people are concerned about judgement from others regarding what they order or what you post on Facebook that you are eating, they have self esteem issues and potentially disordered thinking about food and should probably seek help with that.

I'm w/ Jkwolly, I eat burgers and ice cream and don't fear judgement from anyone because I have worked them into my calorie goals for the day. Although my burger doesn't have mayo on it because blech!
    Heck yuuuuus, mayo is so nasty. :#
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't usually care for sweet things - unless I am dieting. I expect what happens is that you restrict calories, your body/mind/whatever thinks we've entered a time of limited food supply, and it starts issuing cravings for very calorie dense fare. Sweets also trigger the release of feel-good neurochemicals, so maybe that function is stronger in others than it is in you.

I know for me, when I get cravings, I *should* eat a healthy meal instead - and when I do it feels good, but it isn't what I *want* at the time.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I will take my burger with bacon, avocado, and pepperjack cheese please! And then I will have a bourbon bacon milkshake for dessert...

PS I like bacon. Let the judgement begin!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The ingredients in some foods are selected to cause people to want more.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women. Like I said, I know a lot of girls in their teens or early twenties who basically just eat sweets to meet the majority of the caloric intake. The same girls would be grossed out by grease or fatty meats. A lot of girls also have a similar obsession with cheese, but I don't think it's quite as far-reached as obsessions with sweets.

For example, picture an obese person digging into a hotdog, hamburger, or pizza, then picture the same person having a latte, milkshake or piece of pie. Although everyone is aware that both food groups are unhealthy, there are a lot more people who would be grossed out by the overweight person eating a greasy hamburger because that's such a strong stereotype.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women. Like I said, I know a lot of girls in their teens or early twenties who basically just eat sweets to meet the majority of the caloric intake. The same girls would be grossed out by grease or fatty meats. A lot of girls also have a similar obsession with cheese, but I don't think it's quite as far-reached as obsessions with sweets.

For example, picture an obese person digging into a hotdog, hamburger, or pizza, then picture the same person having a latte, milkshake or piece of pie. Although everyone is aware that both food groups are unhealthy, there are a lot more people who would be grossed out by the overweight person eating a greasy hamburger because that's such a strong stereotype.

I'd never really thought of that perception but you are totally right! It does seem like women and girls are much more conditioned to think sweet treats are better.
    Personally, I think it can also just be a preference some people have. I definitely don't have a stigma against greasy foods or fatty meats but have had a ridiculous sweet tooth my entire life. As a kid my favorite healthier snacks were fruit with PB & cottage cheese with loads of homemade strawberry jam on it : )
    When my eating was disordered I did always binge on sweets. It's difficult for me to actually binge on more savory or greasy foods. They just don't make me want to eat more and more of them. With that said, my favorite cuts of meat are the fattier ones and I absolutely think it's a good thing. Very filling and satisfying.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also, I always thought it was funny my dad had a big sweet tooth and my mom was "take it or leave it" about sweets. I am take it or leave it about chips or greasy things..like I eat a measured serving and don't crave more. Meanwhile, if I eat a candy bar all I can think about is eating another :\
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Why are these foods unhealthy?

• jkwolly
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Why are these foods unhealthy?
    Yes, I also want to know this.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

They're not unhealthy unless one is consuming these things on a daily basis with a blatant disregard to meeting their nutritional needs. Otherwise, no...these foods on their own are not bad.

I think anyone who would honestly diagnose and feel disgusted by a human being consuming food should probably take a deeper look at THEIR relationship with body image and foods before dare judging another. Just you knkw, my opinion. Because no, no one consuming food grosses me out unless their like chewing with their mouth open and making noises or being blatantly gross about it...which fit or overweight, is the same level of gross.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    To me it kind of sounds like your view may be skewed by people you've been around. I can also picture younger girls/women and even some women in their 30's choosing the mocha caramel latte that is 400 cal rather than be <gasp> seen eating a burger or a taco. Doesn't make sense, but yes I've seen that...or the girls who get boba tea and/or frappucinos every morning but never eat breakfast or lunch. I don't know how they keep going on just sugar, but yeah...I get it.

As for sugary things being more attractive to some people than others...maybe part of it is just personal preferences and tastes? I would be a very unhappy camper if I could never again eat a cupcake, chocolate, or pie. But I don't really get the big appeal of things like chips & salsa, crackers, pretzels, or bread. I do eat most of those sometimes but I could cut them out forever and not mind at ALL, seriously. I've seen a lot of people complain that they binge on gigantic bags of chips. I fortunately have never had a binge problem but I could imagine eating a roll of cookie dough before a big bag of chips.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on people's tastes? I don't really binge on salty things, except bread (but it has to be good bread, and typically, sweet bread like brioche, challah etc). But I love sweets.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    After I eat sweet I need salty. After I eat salty I need sweet. Hands down every time.

If there is chocolate around I will need the chips after!!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have always had a sweet tooth. I remember vividly sitting at the dinner table, amazed that my sister was eating (and possibly even enjoying) this crap we were fed for supper (meat vegetables and potatoes). I was never hungry for supper. All I ever wanted was dessert, and there was no such thing as too much. I enjoy all foods now, but sugary treats are still my favourites.