Total Girly-Girl Seeks Exercise Motivation

Options

Replies

• ToniaH75
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    loud upbeat awesome fave tunes.

music es magic.

If that stomach isn't enough motivation i don't know what is. I want to look like this!!! You have to want it and in order to get it you have to get up and DO IT!!
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Dancing is a good idea. Tons of fun and will get you moving!

But in all honesty, if you don't like to sweat...how do you live? Do you stay indoors all summer long? Sweating is good, so that's something you're just going to have to deal with.

I love to dance too! But I know what she means by hating sweat. I personally stay indoors all summer long.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Regarding energy level, that changes once you reach a certain level of fitness. Once your body gets used to moving, it will crave more.
  • LNPurdie
    LNPurdie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Girly girl, do you like to dance?

My thoughts exactly! Get on your glad rags and go dancing, find a dancing class, put on the stereo and dance around the room! How can you not love dancing? Try this, put on some music and dance, try to do it without smiling. I cannot seem to manage dancing without a big cheesy grin.

Dance!!

• thouse23
    Options
    I've lost 36 pounds before I tore an interior calf muscle. Running across the parking lot, in 3" wedge sandals, to roll up my car windows during a sudden downpour. I did Zumba and Curves circuit training then. The Curves boutique has since closed. And I'll be totally honest, going to a gym where the size 0's look at you with disdain does not help the ole self esteem. Do I want this? YES!! I've lost weight before and I know I can / will do it again. As far as the sweat thing - yes, I sweat in the summer. I live in the south where summers temps are 100 with 99% humidity. I. Don't. Like. Sweating. That being said, I know I have to sweat to lose weight. Maybe what I'm looking for is an accountability partner. Someone stern but not condensending.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    As people have said previously, you have to find something you enjoy doing. Cutting down on your food is good but to prevent saggy skin when you lose the weight you have to exercise. You can do cardio, strength training or both. I think you need to get over the not liking to sweat issue. Whenever I sweat, I see it as the fat leaving my body and whether this is true or not it works for me. All the best.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Walk. :D Most people don't get all nasty by walking.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thouse23 wrote: »
    I've lost 36 pounds before I tore an interior calf muscle. Running across the parking lot, in 3" wedge sandals, to roll up my car windows during a sudden downpour. I did Zumba and Curves circuit training then. The Curves boutique has since closed. And I'll be totally honest, going to a gym where the size 0's look at you with disdain does not help the ole self esteem. Do I want this? YES!! I've lost weight before and I know I can / will do it again. As far as the sweat thing - yes, I sweat in the summer. I live in the south where summers temps are 100 with 99% humidity. I. Don't. Like. Sweating. That being said, I know I have to sweat to lose weight. Maybe what I'm looking for is an accountability partner. Someone stern but not condensending.

Getting some pals on here for support is a great idea, but at the end of the day you have to do it for yourself, no one can do it for you...

Plus I don't think you should presume what the slimmer people in the gym are thinking when you don't even know them, you're just doing exactly what you've accused them of....
  • Petrapole
    Options
    Try pole dancing!! I hate exercising but I love my pole dancing it's about as girly as you can get and I guarantee you'll be hooked offer 1 class.
  • thouse23
    Options

Getting some pals on here for support is a great idea, but at the end of the day you have to do it for yourself, no one can do it for you...

Plus I don't think you should presume what the slimmer people in the gym are thinking when you don't even know them, you're just doing exactly what you've accused them of.... [/quote]

Normally, I would agree with you about presuming and prejudging, but when they ask the friend loud enough for me to hear "what's her fat *kitten* doing here" - I doubt they walk around with the sour look all of the time.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I kind of have the same problem - my issue is going home in the first place after work. If I go home, I will not go out again to the gym - too much effort! So I go straight from work to the gym. It helps.

Other than that, it's trial and error to find exercises you like. It's also a matter of determining whether you're ready to tackle exercising yet (if you've just made recent diet changes, maybe it's too stressful for now and should be something you pick up in a few months).

In terms of hating to sweat... I kind of get that. My issue with sweating is it makes my hair look terrible so if I want to go out later, I have to shower again, which for someone who has to also shower every morning just to wake up, isn't good for my skin. But I think if you find something you really like, it will start to matter less.

Try some new things! Maybe yoga, martial arts, (pole dancing as mentioned above), belly dancing, weight lifting, gymnastics (rhythmic or other), figure skating, tennis (imagine the tennis skirts!).... sometimes sweating + an exercise that seems boring is really what is causing you to dislike it so much. Swimming might be a good option too! You generally shouldn't sweat while swimming since the water moderates your body temperature. Maybe synchronized if you like to make that girlier too :)
  • legaleblond1985
    legaleblond1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness (not sure if they have one near you) but they have the judgement free policy - where they will ask someone to leave for "mocking" others through extreme "grunting" or revealing clothes. The treadmills are set for predetermined workouts, I plug my headphones. Set the treadmill and just walk - it adjusts the speed and incline to keep your heartrate at a set level. I searched pinterest and created my own playlists of "upbeat" songs that will get me motivated. I work 12 hour shifts at a desk with little to no people interaction - this helps me feel better even if it does mean getting up about an hour earlier than I normally would.... PLUS if you do the $20.00 per month plan you get to tan and get massages too!!!!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness (not sure if they have one near you) but they have the judgement free policy - where they will ask someone to leave for "mocking" others through extreme "grunting" or revealing clothes. The treadmills are set for predetermined workouts, I plug my headphones. Set the treadmill and just walk - it adjusts the speed and incline to keep your heartrate at a set level. I searched pinterest and created my own playlists of "upbeat" songs that will get me motivated. I work 12 hour shifts at a desk with little to no people interaction - this helps me feel better even if it does mean getting up about an hour earlier than I normally would.... PLUS if you do the $20.00 per month plan you get to tan and get massages too!!!!

Which would be completely judgmental of them.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How about walking during your lunch break? Also, look for little things throughout the day to move more. Park your car further away from the store entry, take the stairs, stand up while you're on the phone, etc.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ToniaH75 wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    loud upbeat awesome fave tunes.

music es magic.

If that stomach isn't enough motivation i don't know what is. I want to look like this!!! You have to want it and in order to get it you have to get up and DO IT!!

music helps with the standing up and doing it! believe me!!!!!

on the mornings I dont want to go, when i want to stamp my little feet and fall on the floor like a 2 year old - i surrender and listen to music.

5 minutes later im all - how'd i get in the squat rack????

• yoovie
    Options

Plus I don't think you should presume what the slimmer people in the gym are thinking when you don't even know them, you're just doing exactly what you've accused them of....

Normally, I would agree with you about presuming and prejudging, but when they ask the friend loud enough for me to hear "what's her fat *kitten* doing here" - I doubt they walk around with the sour look all of the time. [/quote]

often this is our mind playing tricks on us.

often in the very beginning, we think we can feel all eyes on us.

very close to the truth, but no cigar.

what's actually happening is that OUR OWN EYES are FINALLY on us. Those are the eyes you feel. It's self-awareness -which can be acutely painful, but can be one of the most rewarding virtues to cultivate.

Many quit when they feel that microscope on them because they are so completely not used to examining themselves so honestly. It's tough. It's not for the faint hearted.

But it's us. No one but us. And since we love ourselves and want what's best for us, then we can trust ourselves.

It's okay to focus honestly and vulnerably (?) on ourselves. If we dont want to be that old person anymore, we gotta do lots of introspection.

Sometimes it's super ugly - but it isn't the eyes of others that we feel strongest. Dont project! it's just your brain kicking in and making you a priority.
  • yoovie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness (not sure if they have one near you) but they have the judgement free policy - where they judge people for the noises they make during exertion and judge women publicly (making a scene usually) for the kinds of clothing they wear to the gym.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Normally, I would agree with you about presuming and prejudging, but when they ask the friend loud enough for me to hear "what's her fat *kitten* doing here" - I doubt they walk around with the sour look all of the time.

So there was only 3 of you in the whole gym when she said that?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    il_340x270.649393786_79cw.jpg
  • mrsDwill
    Options
    If you are a girly girl I assume that you like to shop. Try walking around your local mall, Walmart/Target. Walk at a brisk pace and no stopping to shop!

You can't let what anyone says. At least you are trying to do something about your weight. hold your head up high and get moving! But you gotta sweat!