low carb

Options
is anyone else out there eating low carb? if so what are some meal ideas and how do you deal with the high fat content like in meat...I am so scared cause the fat content ends up so high but my calories and carbs and everything are where they need to be it is just the fat....but it isn't with junk food it is with meat and stuff like that.

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    If you are eating low carb, you need to be a higher amount of fat. You should not do low carb AND low fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Too many calories does that.

That is the benefit of eating low carb...higher fat content meat, cheese, full fat dressing, sour cream, mayo...you can eat more of these items while eating less carbs.

I suggest you head over to one of the low carb groups...Low Carb Daily group is a good one with lots of pinned posts.
  • marygirl05
    marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    ok great thanks. yes my fat is high not low i guess i didn't undersand how it all worke.d where do i find the low carb daily group?
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    marygirl05 wrote: »
    ok great thanks. yes my fat is high not low i guess i didn't undersand how it all worke.d where do i find the low carb daily group?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    I think that link should work!

• marygirl05
    marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    thank you so much
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Bacon, cheese, and avocados. They are your friend. Learn them, like them, love them.
  • nikkipaige
    nikkipaige Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When you eat low carb you need to add more fat and protein into your daily diet - I know, we go our whole lives trying to stay away from fat and now you have to eat them more - crazy! But kinda fun :) Feel free to add me and look through my diary. I've been a little off course lately, but For the most part, I stay on a low carb meal plan!!

Good suggestion to find recipes: peacelovelowcarb.com - it's awesome!! You can follow the group on FB too for fun ideas!
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eating low carb is a GREAT way to lose weight. But you can't let your calories get out of control either. I've fiddled around with it a lot, and I found I lost weight consistently and reduced my appetite and sugar cravings a lot by keeping my carbs under about 100grams per day and keeping calories under about 1600 and working out hard about 3 days per week. You really can't eat a crazy amount of fat while keeping your calories under this level, so I wouldn't even worry about keeping track honestly. There are plenty of lower fat options that are still low carb like low fat cheese, yogurt, and lean meat. Here's what I eat for a typical day. I've also found variety isn't really my friend, so I eat a variation of this pretty much every day, except for the occasional night out at a restaurant. :smile:

Breakfast:
    Eggs and turkey bacon. Usually 1 whole egg and liquid egg whites, a few tablespoons of shredded low fat cheese, and 2 strips of turkey bacon

Lunch:
    A salad with a hardboiled egg, shredded chicken breast, tomatoes, avocados. Use a low carb dressing like a yogurt-based blue cheese

Dinner:
    Always meat with vegetables. I love brussels sprouts and asparagus so these are usually my veggies for the meal. I eat a lot of salmon, steak, and marinated chicken.

Snack:
    Lower carb fruit like blueberries and apricots, almonds, low fat and low sugar yogurt.
  • bcpaulus
    bcpaulus Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Since I'm a diabetic, I have to eat a low carb diet, which has helped me to lose a fair amount of weight safely. As everyone has pointed out, you do need to offset the food your body needs with more fat and protein. I'm down to less than 150 grams of carbs per day, and below 1500 calories. The biggest problem I have is getting more protein. While fish is a great way, it can come with a lot of fat, especially with fishes like salmon, so it's always a balancing act. The takeaway is, it's a good fat, and has omega3. Avocados are another source of healthy fats. Try looking at some of the menu's that diabetics need to follow, and you can always eat as much green and leafy and non-starchy vegetables as you want. The bottom line is, you do need to have carbs for quick energy, but it's all about really following portion control; which for me has good and bad days. Hope this helps.

Brad
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb. But I have not cut fruit and vegetables out of my diet. I have cut all processed carbs. No wheat products.

This is working for me. I am not doing that whole ketosis thing.

• tloubkelley
    tloubkelley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    GREAT WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT! I'VE BEEN DOING IT FOR 117 DAYS.NO MORE THAN A 100 CARBS A DAY. LOTS OF TUNA ,TURKEY(turkey balls, turkey ground white meat turkey bacon & turkey sausage),&GRILLED CHICKEN AND OH SALAD TOO.I ACCOUNT FOR WHAT EVER GOES INTO MY DIET EVERYDAY.
    I WOULDN'T HAVE NEVER BELIEVED IT WOULD WK BUT IT DOES.I STARTED OUT AT 155 AND I'M DOWN TO 130.PLUS I'M 5'2.MY LIFESTYLE HAS TOTALLY CHANGED....FOR THE BETTER! I FEEL GREAT.PUT THE EXERCISE IN THERE TO.:) HAVE A GOOD ONE!!!