What's the deal with the obsession of sweets?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    And that's where it sucks really. Sweets are more of an issue because it's much easier to overeat sweets than salty foods, because, well, they just don't fill you up (ok exception for crackers, chips etc). You could love fries and pizza but at some point, you get full... with chocolate, you can eat way more calories before getting full, and good luck making a bar of chocolate your lunch :(
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    laciemn wrote: »
    For example, picture an obese person digging into a hotdog, hamburger, or pizza, then picture the same person having a latte, milkshake or piece of pie. Although everyone is aware that both food groups are unhealthy, there are a lot more people who would be grossed out by the overweight person eating a greasy hamburger because that's such a strong stereotype.

So you are really talking about the positive acceptance/perception of eating certain foods even though they are not healthier. I can see that. There is a certain image difference of sipping daintily or eating pie slowly with a fork vs. picking up a large hamburger with your hands and shoving it in your mouth. It probably seems more feminine/attractive to some girls and women to not eat with their hands or eat very meaty or greasy foods that you would take larger bites of or have to chew more obviously.

I've never been concerned about how I am being perceived in that way.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Because it tastes really really really good.

That is the reason why people really like it.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    After I eat sweet I need salty. After I eat salty I need sweet. Hands down every time.

If there is chocolate around I will need the chips after!!!

Did you know that chocolate dipped potato chips exist?? Game changer!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    If someone put an extra helping of dinner on a plate and a plate of cake in front of me, I would likely choose dinner. Yum yum! I've always been that way. If it were me a year ago, I probably wouldn't even consider the cake. My sweet tooth is growing though and now the cake sometimes wins. I wonder why?

I think that sugar can sometimes be like coffee, the more you have, the more you need or at least you need a constant amount.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    estud003 wrote: »
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women. Like I said, I know a lot of girls in their teens or early twenties who basically just eat sweets to meet the majority of the caloric intake. The same girls would be grossed out by grease or fatty meats. A lot of girls also have a similar obsession with cheese, but I don't think it's quite as far-reached as obsessions with sweets.

For example, picture an obese person digging into a hotdog, hamburger, or pizza, then picture the same person having a latte, milkshake or piece of pie. Although everyone is aware that both food groups are unhealthy, there are a lot more people who would be grossed out by the overweight person eating a greasy hamburger because that's such a strong stereotype.

I'd never really thought of that perception but you are totally right! It does seem like women and girls are much more conditioned to think sweet treats are better.
    Personally, I think it can also just be a preference some people have. I definitely don't have a stigma against greasy foods or fatty meats but have had a ridiculous sweet tooth my entire life. As a kid my favorite healthier snacks were fruit with PB & cottage cheese with loads of homemade strawberry jam on it : )
    When my eating was disordered I did always binge on sweets. It's difficult for me to actually binge on more savory or greasy foods. They just don't make me want to eat more and more of them. With that said, my favorite cuts of meat are the fattier ones and I absolutely think it's a good thing. Very filling and satisfying.

And on that note, I feel like men are depicted as meat lovers mostly. Hmm. Is it because desserts can be cute and girls are supposed to be cute? And meat is a carcass that has always been believed to make people strong and men are supposed to be strong? I wonder. If we're going with stereotypes here.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Because it tastes delicious and fits into my goals?

And I will gladly eat my hunks of cheese and bottles of wine infront of anyone, don't give a shiz about judgement.

This, and why was your post flagged?

I love my sweets, but work hard to keep my diet balanced because I feel much better.

Lacie, your posting has many sweeping generalizations. Just because someone eats sugar does not mean they binge, and just because a person does not eat sweets does not mean they don't binge. Bingeing goes much deeper than one's food choices.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    After I eat sweet I need salty. After I eat salty I need sweet. Hands down every time.

If there is chocolate around I will need the chips after!!!

Did you know that chocolate dipped potato chips exist?? Game changer!

In! Send me some, please!
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with the obsession of sweets.
    What's the deal with the obsession of alcohol.
    What's the deal with the obsession of sex.
    What's the deal with the obsession of politics.
    What's the deal with the obsession of attention.
    What's the deal with the obsession of exercise. Ewww.
    What's the deal with the obsession of veganism.
    What's the deal with the obsession of smoking.
    What's the deal with the obsession of talking about yourself.
    etc,
    etc,
    etc.

Freud might have had an answer if he wasn't so obsessed with cocaine. And a complete idiot.

;)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women. Like I said, I know a lot of girls in their teens or early twenties who basically just eat sweets to meet the majority of the caloric intake. The same girls would be grossed out by grease or fatty meats. A lot of girls also have a similar obsession with cheese, but I don't think it's quite as far-reached as obsessions with sweets.

No. Obesity is from an over consumption of food in general. You will get fat eating a surplus of any diets.

As for the rest of your post? You are way off there.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My best friend could eat 3 boxes of cheez-its and a bottle of wine for dinner and be happy. That doesn't even appeal to me. I could eat a couple of cupcakes and some ice cream for dinner. That sort of thing doesn't appeal to her. It's just personal preference. I much prefer sweets to salty foods.

Really though I like all the foods, which is why I'm here. I agree with SLLRunner though-- I've never had a binging problem. I just work my sweets into my calorie, macro, and nutrition goals and enjoy without guilt. Same goes for anything else I want to eat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women.

Not my experience. I grew up seeing women look guilty and do a stage whisper "I'm being bad today" when ordering something high calorie and sweet. I think part of the attraction of sweet things for women (and perhaps people more generally) is that they are somewhat considered sinful and forbidden. That's the sort of thing that can contribute to a binge and restriction pattern, although I'm also not at all sure if you are talking about binging (which I've never done) or just over-consuming calories.

Also, lots of people find that sugar+fat tastes really good. I think it tastes good too, although my bigger temptations are in the salt+fat category.
    The same girls would be grossed out by grease or fatty meats.

It's possible that on average women seem to find meat less appealing than certain other foods, I guess, or at least that's my impression from the fact that lots of women seem to have trouble meeting their protein goals. I hadn't especially noticed it before MFP, and it's not true for me, but I don't see why this would be all that strange. I don't agree that meat (or even a burger) is more stigmatized, however. When I was fat I was overly concerned about not eating excessively in front of people I knew, and that tended to hinder me more from ordering dessert than a steak or even pizza (typically when you go out for pizza everyone has it, after all).
  • KixIce
    KixIce Posts: 17
    Options
    i just drank i think 2 cups of hot chocolate with lots of chocolate idc idc
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Vanilla is my weakness, it tastes best with lots and lots of sugar...
  • littleaudrey85
    littleaudrey85 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women.

I'm a sugar addict. If I didn't love sweets so much I'd probably be skinny mini but I struggle with my sugar addiction. I love sweets and it has NOTHING to do with how I perceive sweets or how the sweets are represented in media/stores/etc. Sugar is addictive and for some people (like myself) it is difficult not to overindulge.

I'm currently on my 4th day straight of no sugary snacks or treats other than fruit...and I feel like I have a sugar monkey on my back!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm a sugar addict. If I didn't love sweets so much I'd probably be skinny mini but I struggle with my sugar addiction. I love sweets and it has NOTHING to do with how I perceive sweets or how the sweets are represented in media/stores/etc. Sugar is addictive and for some people (like myself) it is difficult not to overindulge.

I'm currently on my 4th day straight of no sugary snacks or treats other than fruit...and I feel like I have a sugar monkey on my back!

Suddenly I am so glad it is time to call it a day, I look forward to seeing how this thread devolves into what, the 10th sugar is addictive thread of the New Year? And now I get to use this great image I stole from one of the other threads about sugar addiction...

bu66hmsmcy0z.jpg

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    High sugar and high fat foods tend to be more calorie dense, people that binge on things are typically trying to consume as much calories as they can. For some people it's a half gallon of ice cream, for others it's burgers (most fast food burgers have both sugar and fat in them) or a bag of chips. It's a little strange to think that outside influences have much to do with it. (Non-emotional) binges are caused by your body overreacting to going without food or from being used to eating very high calorie food often and suddenly receiving less calories.

I used to crave really high calorie foods (it was usually baked goods for me) because I waited way too long between meals or didn't eat enough. Later I realized that no matter what I thought I wanted that eating any food at all would make the cravings go away. My brain just wanted me to eat something.

Since I switched to eating more often during the day I haven't 'craved' anything because I don't let myself feel hungry for long periods of time. So much of 'overcoming' is just understanding why you have destructive habits. Once you understand why it's easier to find ways to stop them.

As far as people being judged on what they binge on, few people 'binge' with an audience. It's usually some shame filled private affair. If you see someone drinking a milkshake, then it's just a less healthy choice for one meal. Unless you saw everything else they had that day the judgment seems misplaced.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing how this thread devolves into what, the 10th sugar is addictive thread of the New Year?

Yup. Sigh.

I'm just going to assume that people are using a different working definition of "addiction" than the one I know and not worry about it, I guess.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing how this thread devolves into what, the 10th sugar is addictive thread of the New Year?

Yup. Sigh.

I'm just going to assume that people are using a different working definition of "addiction" than the one I know and not worry about it, I guess.

I'm just going to start every post in one of those threads with:

question-31842991.jpeg