"You have a really pretty face....."

Options
13»

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    For those of you that don't think there is a rude underpinning, you are missing the tone when it happens. It's usually said with a tinge of disappointment or pity in their voice.

When someone (usually an older woman) tells me "Aww but you have such a pretty face" they totally mean it in that 'What a shame you are wasting your good looks by being fat" way.

I got peculiar 'compliments' from strangers before I was a normal weight but they had a totally different tone to them. People would comment on something really specific like on my eyes, hair or complexion. No one ever said I had a 'pretty face' they said I had pretty eyes.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    So you don't have a pretty face? Or you do and don't want the compliment about it? Was it from a guy? Was he ugly or cute?

Why do you want to lose weight? Is it bad to be overweight? Is it good to be overweight? Why don't you love your pretty and overweight entire self? If someone likes your face but thinks you need to lose some weight (which by the way you obviosluy think you do otherwise you would not be here) and you feel the same as them. How is that a bad thing?

I'm not following.

This.
    You need to relax. Now being called pretty is an insult? 'Pretty' only applies to faces really. If someone told me I had a pretty body or pretty knees I would consider it odd. Plus have you ever heard of the term 'butter face'? I have a very fit girlfriend who has been called that several times by rude a*holes. I would take 'pretty face' over that any day.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The difference is this; My skinny cousin Tess is constantly told that "she is pretty", yet I'm told "you have a pretty face" - Like I said before, why comment at all? I'm sure the lady in the Safeway grocery line a couple weeks back was being sincere when she right out asked me when I "WAS DUE"!!! Completely inappropriate, even if I were pregnant. Again, WHY SAY ANYTHING AT ALL? I'm not soliciting comments or compliments about how I look, and I sure don't dish them out to others unless I'm commenting on what they may be wearing, their hairstyle or maybe their choice in jewelry, etc... Just keep your darn comments to yourselves! And no, these comments do not come from men, I am happily engaged to the man of my dreams, these come from nasty, snide women who feel the need to voice their pity. Of course I know how to take a compliment, if they don't have the tone, so no hunny, I'm not "projecting" anything, I'm calling it like it is.