What's the deal with the obsession of sweets?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Any reason to feel better is hard to resist for a lot of people today....because opiates.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    COOKIES. :p
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    After I eat sweet I need salty. After I eat salty I need sweet. Hands down every time.

If there is chocolate around I will need the chips after!!!

Did you know that chocolate dipped potato chips exist?? Game changer!

Who makes these? Def Game changer
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    laciemn wrote: »
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women.

I'm a sugar addict. If I didn't love sweets so much I'd probably be skinny mini but I struggle with my sugar addiction. I love sweets and it has NOTHING to do with how I perceive sweets or how the sweets are represented in media/stores/etc. Sugar is addictive and for some people (like myself) it is difficult not to overindulge.

I'm currently on my 4th day straight of no sugary snacks or treats other than fruit...and I feel like I have a sugar monkey on my back!
    giphy.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing how this thread devolves into what, the 10th sugar is addictive thread of the New Year?

Yup. Sigh.

I'm just going to assume that people are using a different working definition of "addiction" than the one I know and not worry about it, I guess.

I'm just going to start every post in one of those threads with:

question-31842991.jpeg

double sigh ...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your posts are really difficult to make sense of.

People eat them because many people have a sweet tooth and they see them as a treat. Other than weight implications, then everyone likes a treat like chocolate. They give you an instant hit, they taste nice, whats not to like?

I dont think they are any less acceptable than fast food.

Perhaps the USA has an obesiy problem becayse people lack knowledge about food and eat in excess of what they burn, without taking action?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Okay, so I've noticed that a lot of people with binge-eating problems really go after sweets. I am definitely a love of sweets but it's hot and cold for me. I don't really eat many sweets unless it's the holidays or I've bought a pack of cookies or a candy bar or something. I do really like cake and icing but it doesn't have the same urgency for me as for a lot of people. Why do you think other people (or yourself) can basically eat thousands of calories in mostly sugar and carbs and not get tired of it? Basically, I know a lot of younger girls who get most of their calories from sugary drinks, milkshakes, and desserts and don't even eat regular food. This baffles me because eating a proper meal seems much better to me. Is it because the lack of fiber and nutrients in sweet food, or maybe it's because of the presentation of sweet food? Most desserts look a certain way, gooey or colorful, presented as very tempting. Is the society's emphasis on sweet foods to represent celebration and love (Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, etc?)

This sort of obsession is definitely reinforced my social media and dieters, to an extent. People love posting desserts even if it's only to sigh "I wish I could eat that" or plan to have an indulges after doing well for a little while. I think part of it comes down to the moral implications of certain foods. Meat, grease, and condiments like mayo are sort of are like stereotypical of fat people. If you don't want to "look like a fatty" in front of your friends, you aren't going to order a burger, even if the latte or dessert your ordered has just as many calories. Cakes and chocolate are sort of universally adored. I mean, are people going to judge you more if you are sipping a milkshake or digging into some mayo-laden fat monstrosity?

OP - is there a point to this..it is kind of rambling and I really don't see a statement of anything…????

clarification would be appreciated..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women. Like I said, I know a lot of girls in their teens or early twenties who basically just eat sweets to meet the majority of the caloric intake. The same girls would be grossed out by grease or fatty meats. A lot of girls also have a similar obsession with cheese, but I don't think it's quite as far-reached as obsessions with sweets.

For example, picture an obese person digging into a hotdog, hamburger, or pizza, then picture the same person having a latte, milkshake or piece of pie. Although everyone is aware that both food groups are unhealthy, there are a lot more people who would be grossed out by the overweight person eating a greasy hamburger because that's such a strong stereotype.

what about the people that get obese eating pizza and burgers, or just over eating on food? Obesity is due to over eating and lack of movement, period.

as to your second paragraph - pizza, ice cream, etc are not unhealthy …they all contain carbs/fats/proteins which are essential macronutrients depending on ones goals...
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    After I eat sweet I need salty. After I eat salty I need sweet. Hands down every time.

If there is chocolate around I will need the chips after!!!

Same for me , also spicy food like hot wings gotta have the sweet after.

• 999tigger
    Options
    ps i wouldn't be grossed out by someone eating a McDonalds.

Still cant really see what point you are trying to make.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I think the reality is that sugar cravings exist and are a problem for a lot of people on this forum. Whether it is an addiction is debatable and has been debated at length without a resolution. :p

Fact remains, the obsession with sugar needs to be addressed and for those who are sick of hearing about it please allow those who have this problem a chance to voice their concerns and solve their dilemma at their own pace. They will find their solution in their own time during the discussion and the fact that this is according to Kruggeri "the 10th sugar is addictive thread" only emphasis the need for discussion.

Blatantly trying to shut the thread down will only result in 10 more springing up. Let it run its course. What is the harm??
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I will take my burger with bacon, avocado, and pepperjack cheese please!  And then I will have a bourbon bacon milkshake for dessert...  

PS I like bacon.   Let the judgement begin!
    Suddenly I am so glad it is time to call it a day, I look forward to seeing how this thread devolves into what, the 10th sugar is addictive thread of the New Year? And now I get to use this great image I stole from one of the other threads about sugar addiction...

bu66hmsmcy0z.jpg

• ndj1979
    Options
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women.

I'm a sugar addict. If I didn't love sweets so much I'd probably be skinny mini but I struggle with my sugar addiction. I love sweets and it has NOTHING to do with how I perceive sweets or how the sweets are represented in media/stores/etc. Sugar is addictive and for some people (like myself) it is difficult not to overindulge.

I'm currently on my 4th day straight of no sugary snacks or treats other than fruit...and I feel like I have a sugar monkey on my back!

maybe if you did not restrict sugar 100% it would not lead you to want to binge on it.

Maybe try cutting out say 50% and see how that works…?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I think the reality is that sugar cravings exist and are a problem for a lot of people on this forum. Whether it is an addiction is debatable and has been debated at length without a resolution. :p

Fact remains, the obsession with sugar needs to be addressed and for those who are sick of hearing about it please allow those who have this problem a chance to voice their concerns and solve their dilemma at their own pace. They will find their solution in their own time during the discussion and the fact that this is according to Kruggeri "the 10th sugar is addictive thread" only emphasis the need for discussion.

Blatantly trying to shut the thread down will only result in 10 more springing up. Let it run its course. What is the harm??

who is blatantly trying to shut the thread down?

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You're forgetting something. Fat people get judged for eating. Period. I've been judged while eating every single thing you've mentioned in your post, even the things you didn't consider taboo.
    If someone is going to be a judgmental jerk, they're going to do it no matter what you're eating. I saw a youtube video where guys were videotaping an obese girl eating an ice cream cone at McDonalds. Do you know what the stats are of a McDonald's Ice cream cone? They only have 170 calories, and 4.5 grams of fat. The worst thing about them is they have 27g of carbs. Yet someone thought it was so disgusting that she was eating this that they pulled out their phone, violated her privacy, and posted it on the internet so they and their friends could ridicule her.

Don't focus on what other people are eating. Focus on what you're eating. Try to remember that pretty much everything is alright in moderation, even mayo and greasy meats.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    memelendy wrote: »
    You're forgetting something. Fat people get judged for eating. Period. I've been judged while eating every single thing you've mentioned in your post, even the things you didn't consider taboo.
    If someone is going to be a judgmental jerk, they're going to do it no matter what you're eating. I saw a youtube video where guys were videotaping an obese girl eating an ice cream cone at McDonalds. Do you know what the stats are of a McDonald's Ice cream cone? They only have 170 calories, and 4.5 grams of fat. The worst thing about them is they have 27g of carbs. Yet someone thought it was so disgusting that she was eating this that they pulled out their phone, violated her privacy, and posted it on the internet so they and their friends could ridicule her.

Don't focus on what other people are eating. Focus on what you're eating. Try to remember that pretty much everything is alright in moderation, even mayo and greasy meats.

+1 :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »

I don't think anyone was blatantly trying to shut the thread down. People can say what they want here as long as it doesn't violate the community guidelines, whether what they want to express is a problem with sugar or frustration with those who call sugar addictive. But having the right to express it doesn't mean people won't disagree or find whichever position you take annoying.

The only person who told someone not to post was actually not Kruggeri, but the woman who responded to her by telling her to go away. So if anyone is trying to silence someone else, it's her.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Not shouting the thread down, just asking what points she is trying to make because its very difficult to see. Feel free to tell us.
  • CEGrant501
    Options
    In a general sense, we are programmed to like sweet foods. They are an easy source of glucose, which is the one form of energy our brains can use. From an evolutionary perspective, eating sweet things was good.

Once upon a time, this wasn't an issue because sugar simply wasn't abundantly available like it is now. Fresh fruit was pretty much it for sweets. We've now processed sugar to a point where there is more than we need. Our bodies however, don't know any better and still crave it.
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sweets among any other food gives the most dopamine rush, this is the pleasure mechanism of the brain. You get it from doing pleasurable things like winning in a sport,sex,drugs and ofcourse food. Like anything relating to dopamine it can get addictive. It might not be noticeable but it is.