What's the deal with the obsession of sweets?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The love of sugar and sweet things is nothing new. Europeans colonized many tropical and semi tropical parts of the world in the 1700's in order to grow enough sugar to satisfy the sweet tooth of their countrymen back in Europe. When the sugar beet was discovered in the mid 1700's and started being cultivated and processed in the early 1800's, sugary things became even more popular in Europe because the sugar could be grown and processed right there and it became even cheaper. The US just followed their European counterparts.
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons why you seem to get comforted by eating ice cream or why people don't get tired of it. Also like any addiction eventually you will want more... Unless you have high selfcontrol then it will impact your lifestyle.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Not shouting the thread down, just asking what points she is trying to make because its very difficult to see. Feel free to tell us.

I think on page two she said obesity is tied to a positive perception of sweets and desserts or something like that….

which totally ignores the people that get obese eating pizza, popcorn, burgers, sausage, etc...
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Because it tastes delicious and fits into my goals?

And I will gladly eat my hunks of cheese and bottles of wine infront of anyone, don't give a shiz about judgement.

Why would someone flag this post, just because of the word shiz? Oh Lordz.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    After I eat sweet I need salty. After I eat salty I need sweet. Hands down every time.

If there is chocolate around I will need the chips after!!!

Did you know that chocolate dipped potato chips exist?? Game changer!

Who makes these? Def Game changer

I saw a poster put up a "Lindt" brand I think that was a chocolate bar WITH chips in it!!! Not sold in Australia damn it. I thought I was the only one...like to swill it down with a coke too (zero of course lol).

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons why you seem to get comforted by eating ice cream or why people don't get tired of it. Also like any addiction eventually you will want more... Unless you have high selfcontrol then it will impact your lifestyle.

Not everyone feels addicted to things like ice cream. I have half a cup most nights. I don't feel out of control or like I just want more. If that's your experience it's one thing, but don't make blanket statements about the rest of us.
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    everyone has their poison.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    laciemn wrote: »
    . Basically, I know a lot of younger girls who get most of their calories from sugary drinks, milkshakes, and desserts and don't even eat regular food. This baffles me because eating a proper meal seems much better to me. Is it because the lack of fiber and nutrients in sweet food, or maybe it's because of the presentation of sweet food?

It's because you are what you eat and girls are made of sugar & spice & everything nice. Guys that eat that stuff are, ummm, obviously in touch with their feminine side.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Not shouting the thread down, just asking what points she is trying to make because its very difficult to see. Feel free to tell us.

I think on page two she said obesity is tied to a positive perception of sweets and desserts or something like that….

which totally ignores the people that get obese eating pizza, popcorn, burgers, sausage, etc...

Or beer, many people have gotten fat off liquid calories. When people give up liquid calories (beer or soda usually) and make posts about having trouble eating enough they get responses like 'keep eating what made you fat, just less of it.'
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Or beer, many people have gotten fat off liquid calories. When people give up liquid calories (beer or soda usually) and make posts about having trouble eating enough they get responses like 'keep eating what made you fat, just less of it.'

isn't that the pint of weight loss…eat less of what you were previously eating, so that you can enjoy the foods that you like and lose weight?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    ellisboyd1 wrote: »
    everyone has their poison.
    I don't eat poison.
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    I

Not everyone feels addicted to things like ice cream. I have half a cup most nights. I don't feel out of control or like I just want more. If that's your experience it's one thing, but don't make blanket statements about the rest of us.

Said comforted not addicted to ice cream :neutral_face: please read it well. Hehe.
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    I might have phrased my sentence badly tho. The 2nd sentence refers to sweets sorry. Am basing my data on nutrition classes, health and some psych classes I've had.
  • Serah87
    Options
    I

Said comforted not addicted to ice cream :neutral_face: please read it well. Hehe.

Actually you did say addiction. See below.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I

I think I read fine.

But for the record I also don't feel comforted. I just like sweets and they taste good. End of story.
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    Yep
    I

I think I read fine.

But for the record I also don't feel comforted. I just like sweets and they taste good. End of story.

Sorry bout that I was all over the place. I posted one about dopamine and tried to continue but i forgot to quote. But yep end of story haha.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Yep
    I

I think I read fine.

Sorry bout that I was all over the place. I posted one about dopamine and tried to continue but i forgot to quote. But yep end of story haha.

:flowerforyou:

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Is it just me or did this thread get a lot shorter?
  • Serah87
    Options
    Is it just me or did this thread get a lot shorter?

Yep. :D