Distinguishing between sugars

Options
Within MyFitnessPal is there any way I can distinguish the difference between the types of sugars I get from fruit and the type you find in a can of Coke for example?

i.e good vs bad sugars

Replies

• BCRoberts15
    BCRoberts15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any research on the subject, but I'm 90% sure that sugar is sugar and that your body processes it all the same way.
  • summersundries
    summersundries Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have unfortunately not found a way.
    My response has been to avoid all added sugar and only allow myself sugar from fruit, veggies, and other natural sources. I know it is hard. I tried following the WHO guidelines of less than 25 grams but trust me, if you are including natural sources that is NOT realistic with a varied North American diet. I have tried to find out if that recommendation is for added or all source sugar but there official release doesn't seem to specify so I'd assume all source. Even a cup of milk has like 12 grams f sugar from the lactose. I have done a lot to minimize sugar, including switching to unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened Balkan style yogurt, only buying unsweetened plain oatmeal and adding as little sugar as possible ( hope to be able to get down to no sugar, but I still need half a teaspoon to make it really palatable)' etc. even with months of effort on the subject just staying under 50 grams a day is a challenge.
    I would say if you are recording really high sugars try removing or tapering off all added sugar sources ( soft drinks, the highest glycemic index stuff) purge your cupboard. Anything with more than say 10 grams of sugar/ reasonable serving you would likely eat goes in the bin. It'll take time to learn what the low or no sugar alternatives are, and sometimes you just have to accept a bit of sweetness in your life (pretty much any delicious sauce has sugar and fats in it). But with planning and perseverance it is possible and palatable. Good luck and you can do it. Whenever I feel discouraged I think about diabetic ulcers and dementia patients ( high sugar diet has been linked with increased risk of dementia) and all of a sudden my sweet tooth just falls out! Lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    imsotall wrote: »
    Within MyFitnessPal is there any way I can distinguish the difference between the types of sugars I get from fruit and the type you find in a can of Coke for example?

i.e good vs bad sugars

One isn't better than the other.

Some of the sugars in fruit act just the same as the sugar in a can of Coke ie sucrose and HFCS
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have unfortunately not found a way.
    My response has been to avoid all added sugar and only allow myself sugar from fruit, veggies, and other natural sources. I know it is hard. I tried following the WHO guidelines of less than 25 grams but trust me, if you are including natural sources that is NOT realistic with a varied North American diet. I have tried to find out if that recommendation is for added or all source sugar but there official release doesn't seem to specify so I'd assume all source. Even a cup of milk has like 12 grams f sugar from the lactose. I have done a lot to minimize sugar, including switching to unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened Balkan style yogurt, only buying unsweetened plain oatmeal and adding as little sugar as possible ( hope to be able to get down to no sugar, but I still need half a teaspoon to make it really palatable)' etc. even with months of effort on the subject just staying under 50 grams a day is a challenge.
    I would say if you are recording really high sugars try removing or tapering off all added sugar sources ( soft drinks, the highest glycemic index stuff) purge your cupboard. Anything with more than say 10 grams of sugar/ reasonable serving you would likely eat goes in the bin. It'll take time to learn what the low or no sugar alternatives are, and sometimes you just have to accept a bit of sweetness in your life (pretty much any delicious sauce has sugar and fats in it). But with planning and perseverance it is possible and palatable. Good luck and you can do it. Whenever I feel discouraged I think about diabetic ulcers and dementia patients ( high sugar diet has been linked with increased risk of dementia) and all of a sudden my sweet tooth just falls out! Lol.

Fortunately, Cane sugar, corn syrup, beet sugar .. well all sugar actually .. comes from fruits and veggies (ie natural sources)

ETA - oops, forgot lactose. fortunately its sources are natural too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    imsotall wrote: »

i.e good vs bad sugars

There is no such thing as good or bad sugars. The only way to distinguish between sugars is to learn the different types (sucrose, glucose. lactose, fructose, galactose, maltose, etc) and read labels. You also need to familiarize yourself with the different sweeteners and the sugars they contain:

Table sugar (including raw, demerera, brown, molasses, etc.) is sucrose, which is a disaccharide and made up of glucose and fructose

Corn syrup is made up of fructose and glucose

Honey is made up of glucose and fructose

Maple syrup is sucrose with a little fructose

Agave nectar is made up on fructose and glucose (and is higher in fructose than high fructose corn syrup)

Milk sugar is lactose

Fruits mostly contain fructose

Veggies can contain fructose but also sucrose

Sugars in alcoholic drinks can be maltose (common in fermented drinks) with naturally occurring sugar from the grain or fruit plus added sugar if needed in the fermentation or finishing process.

If you are trying to find easy ways to cut calories, then cutting out stand alone sugary things like candy and soda is a good way to do it. Same thing with people with a medical reason to watch out for high blood sugar spikes. Otherwise it is all in the mix. having a sugary Coke with your well balanced dinner is not going to affect you any different than having a bunch of extra fruit with that meal. The protein, fat, and fiber in the rest of the meal will slow down the absorption so the blood sugar does not spike as high.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

you might want to check on that. "It's complicated".
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

you might want to check on that. "It's complicated".

Yes, it is complicated and I was oversimplifying it. Honey, for example, can have as many as four different sugars in it. Maple syrup can have 3-4. I am still trying to find out the sugars contained in sorghum but I am guessing it is primarily sucrose, although it is just a guess.

• allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    it doesn't seem fair but its all the same
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is complicated and I was oversimplifying it.

More the fruits, lots of glucose and sucrose around in various fruits.