I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I was still pretty heavy when I began lifting. I don't know what my body fat was but I probably weighed around 240ish. BF was likely > 25-30. Again, I wish I would have started lifting from day 1.

How much was your success due to running? I am big and lift with very high reps and barely any rest. I cant run now but I do find cardio so boring.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    5x5 training is a method of training that has you doing 5 sets of 5 reps for your heavy compounds like bench, squat, rows, etc. There are several programs out there. The "Ice Cream Fitness 5x5" is my favorite. Google it if you want to check it out. Stronglifts 5x5 is another.

Do you recommend this type of work out for women also? I have a weight loss goal of 35 pounds?
    Yes, it's great for beginners of either sex. This is how my fiance trains.
    hupsii wrote: »
    You are awesome !!! I have just one question, after my workout I am absolutely starving and then often overeat. Any advice ? Thanks so much.
    I would plan ahead. Set out what you plan on eating post workout, and only allow yourself to eat that much. Another strategy is to wait a few hours before eating at all. Sometimes, when I'm hungry, it's easier to eat nothing then to eat something small. That can make me even hungrier sometimes.

• vismal
    Options
    Can you tell me what I need to be doing at the gym to start with I don't want to go in and kill myself
    I always recommend simple, compound, lifts. Bench, squat, deadlift, rows, etc. A 5x5 beginners program is a good place to start. I like the ICF 5x5 the best. You can google it :)
    What was your daily calorie intake during your inital weight loss? I started at 291 and set a 1 year goal to hit 220. I am currently eating 2000 calories a day with a breakdown of 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat.
    When I first started I didn't track calories, I simply ate less then I used to eat. That worked fine for a few months but once I did finally start counting, I was logging 2000 calories but probably eating 2500 or more simply because I didn't weigh food and had cheat days regularly. After time went on and I got leaner, the cheats became fewer and more far between, and the logging became much more accurate.
    Nightfly01 wrote: »
    I was still pretty heavy when I began lifting. I don't know what my body fat was but I probably weighed around 240ish. BF was likely > 25-30. Again, I wish I would have started lifting from day 1.

How much was your success due to running? I am big and lift with very high reps and barely any rest. I cant run now but I do find cardio so boring.
    Running jump started my initial weight loss and allowed me to see quick results. This probably did lots to keep me motivated. I no longer do any running and my cardio is usually non-formal (hiking, walking, etc). There is no need to do cardio if you do not enjoy it but you will have to take that into consideration when planning your diet. Cardio can allow you to lose weight quicker, or eat more while still losing.

• grier250
    grier250 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Hey I am also a person of dramatic weight loss. I used to be 378 pounds and now I am 225. And counting. I am currently in the recruiting stage for the United States Marine Corps. However, I know that I am going to have to eventually get some skin removed. Do you know how to go about this if you are not financially stable to afford cosmetic surgery.

• crythreetears
    crythreetears Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You look great! I need to get back into this especially for my health. Thanks for sharing this.
  • crazieandee10
    Options
    That's so awesome I just started and I don't know how to add people as friends. :neutral_face:
  • manfa1980
    manfa1980 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just wondering what the first bits of exercise you started to do were??? Im the same size as what you started at and need to get down to where you are now but as you know being this size sometimes even getting dressed is tiring.. Any help would be great.!
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    5x5 training is a method of training that has you doing 5 sets of 5 reps for your heavy compounds like bench, squat, rows, etc. There are several programs out there. The "Ice Cream Fitness 5x5" is my favorite. Google it if you want to check it out. Stronglifts 5x5 is another.

Do you recommend this type of work out for women also? I have a weight loss goal of 35 pounds?
    Yes, it's great for beginners of either sex. This is how my fiance trains.
    hupsii wrote: »
    You are awesome !!! I have just one question, after my workout I am absolutely starving and then often overeat. Any advice ? Thanks so much.
    I would plan ahead. Set out what you plan on eating post workout, and only allow yourself to eat that much. Another strategy is to wait a few hours before eating at all. Sometimes, when I'm hungry, it's easier to eat nothing then to eat something small. That can make me even hungrier sometimes.

thanks - that's very helpful
  • Freddi_O
    Freddi_O Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You actually look fantastic! Congrats on losing the weight and your engagement. What would a typical day in your food diary look like?
  • baillie81
    Options
    Hi ..

"Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible"

Do you have any sources or links you could suggest ? I'm about 280 just now, looking to lose about 90 lbs so any help would be amazing !
  • Mjanegranger
    Mjanegranger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your success story and the words of encouragement and wisdom for others to gain from your journey. Great job! I am according to the charts obese and wish to loose 50 pounds. May not seem like a lot to many but it is to me. I would like more information on the 5 X 5 weight lifting that you said you would have used from day 1. Do you have a link that would give me more information on it? I am a female and 54 years old. What would you suggest for me for weight lifting? I appreciate your help. Congratulations again you look great!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Jane, There's a great group here called
    Stronglifts 5x5 for Women.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    (or just search Stronglifts under groups)

It has a very good explanation of the program, and a great support system. The basic Stronglifts app is (still I think) free on your phone. (don't pay for extras, not worth it)

There is a Stronglifts website, but less friendly for women. The above group has everything you need.

• vismal
    Options
    grier250 wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Hey I am also a person of dramatic weight loss. I used to be 378 pounds and now I am 225. And counting. I am currently in the recruiting stage for the United States Marine Corps. However, I know that I am going to have to eventually get some skin removed. Do you know how to go about this if you are not financially stable to afford cosmetic surgery.
    Unfortunately I know of no way, unless you had a doctor find a way to get health insurance to cover it, or a doctor that would do it for free. Sometimes you can finance plastic surgery but that will actually only make it cost more in the long run.
    manfa1980 wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering what the first bits of exercise you started to do were??? Im the same size as what you started at and need to get down to where you are now but as you know being this size sometimes even getting dressed is tiring.. Any help would be great.!
    Any exercise is okay. Do something you enjoy and can tolerate. Pick something you can be consistent with. I also recommend that everyone, at some point, add weight lifting to their routine.

• youlikethis
    Options
    Quick question, did you take protein to get from the middle picture to the last?
  • camoloud456
    Options
    Congratulations you look great! I was just wondering if you found as the weight was dropping it was coming off evenly or from different places? I'm kinda stuck cos I've lost 55lbs. My ribs are starting to show and bones in my chest which is thin enough for me but I would like to lose more off my arms and legs....is this gonna be down to exercise?
  • ny24j1022
    ny24j1022 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You are such an inspiration. I have been on my diet for a week and a half now and I am down 10 pounds. My question is, is there a right way and a wrong way to do this or do you just lose the weight how you feel seems right for you?
  • Dorine315
    Options
    When you were starting out, how did you maintain motivation? Do you have any advice for someone (me) new to My Fitness Pal? Thanks!
  • vismal
    Options
    Quick question, did you take protein to get from the middle picture to the last?
    I eat protein every day. By "take protein" I assume you mean protein powder. Don't think of protein powder as a supplement, think of it as food. If you want to use it to help hit your protein requirement for the day, that's fine, if you want to eat whole food instead, that's fine too.
    Congratulations you look great! I was just wondering if you found as the weight was dropping it was coming off evenly or from different places? I'm kinda stuck cos I've lost 55lbs. My ribs are starting to show and bones in my chest which is thin enough for me but I would like to lose more off my arms and legs....is this gonna be down to exercise?
    This is actually all genetic. I lost most of my weight fairly evenly until I got very lean. At that point my stomach and lower back seemed to hold fat the most. This is common for men. You cannot spot reduce fat so exercise won't really help this problem.

• vismal
    Options
    ny24j1022 wrote: »
    Congrats! You are such an inspiration. I have been on my diet for a week and a half now and I am down 10 pounds. My question is, is there a right way and a wrong way to do this or do you just lose the weight how you feel seems right for you?
    While I wouldn't say any one way is "the right way", there are plenty of "wrong ways". Going super low calories for extended periods of time is not a good idea. I personally believe highly restrictive diets can work in the short term but have major issues with long term compliance. My preferred approach, and the one I think is appropriate for at least 80% of people, is to simply set a calorie goal that puts you into a caloric deficit. Eat foods you enjoy while staying under your calorie goal. Eat enough protein and fat to hit minimums while staying under the goal, and then fill your remaining calories with whatever you want to eat.
    Dorine315 wrote: »
    When you were starting out, how did you maintain motivation? Do you have any advice for someone (me) new to My Fitness Pal? Thanks!
    To stay motivated you must recognize that this is a very slow process. Set reasonable, obtainable goals. Long term goals are great but they are also lofty and hard to concentrate on when they seem so far off. 2-3 month short term goals are more concrete. As for tips for newbies, the number one thing I can recommend is to learn how to count calories correctly. Your log is only as accurate as you are. Lots of guessing, mislogging, or cheating makes the entire process far less effective.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! You're my hero! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!