Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Sagenettle wrote: »
    Probably brown or wild rice is better than couscous I'd think. Otherwise you can have something like sweet potato, or try to incorporate more fruits into the day.

Why?

Because if her choices are anything like mine Brown Rice taste better to my taste buds with Curry Chicken. I don't like the taste of white rice.

As for OP's question about what goes great with Grilled Chicken - I only grill chicken to add to salad or while drinking wine. I don't know what's cous cous (sp)
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I don’t know why so many people are being kind of rude on this thread and treating this like a dumb question. A calorie = a calorie = a calorie is definitely false. Yeah, you can lose weight eating twinkies but what’s gonna fill you up more, 3 twinkies or 2 cups of brown rice? You gonna be hungry an hour after your twinkies? probably. Someone suggested a McDonalds fry, but a small fry has more calories than one cup of brown rice! Which will keep you hungrier? Which will

A carbohydrate is a chemical way of saying stored energy - that’s your calories! So a “good” carb is typically a name for a complex carb and a “bad” carb is a simple carb. Complex carbs require your body to process them longer to break them up to access the stored energy, while the simple carbs require much less work on your body’s part to break them up. The result is, you stay fuller longer eating complex carbs while your body has to break them up, while a simple carb gets quickly digested, calories absorbed, and waste pushed along.

One way of thinking about figuring out whether a carbohydrate is complex or simple is to think about the level of processing already completed in the factory: the bread you eat, even if it’s “whole grain” has already had some processing. On the other hand, the white bread has gotten a lot more processing - while substituting the bread for an unprocessed carb might seem like a good idea, you can also take the whole-grain, knowing that it will take longer for your body to process, keeping you fuller longer.

My go-to complex carbs are things like brown rice, whole grain bread, quinoa, sweet potato, etc. You can look at a lot more factors (fiber, protein, et cetera), but usually if there’s a “white” version of a carb and a “brown” version, go for the brown. (Whole grain bread vs white bread, brown rice vs white rice, et cetera).

The difference might not look that big (“But there’s whole wheat flour in white bread!”) but believe me, your body can tell the difference.

Sorry but a calorie is a calorie. If it's not then what is it?

How can your body tell the difference between white bread and whole wheat bread. Tell us how it really does that, not what you think.

It's a kilocalorie, obviously.

Some are more kilocaloric than others, apparently. Since a kcal is not a kcal is not a kcal.

Exactly. A kcal is a hat is an umbrella.
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    To build off of what MrM27 posted, I just ordered green tea kit kats from amazon.

That can't be a thing

It can't be. It sounds awful...

I've actually had one....a coworker brought them back from Japan. I thought it tasted terrible. I LOVE Kit Kat, but that one just didn't do it for me.

• runner475
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yikes just saw all these replies. Sorry guys , guess I was just channeling my nutrition professor stressing against all the "white" carbs.

You don't have to be sorry about anything to anyone. You have the right to your opinions. Live the life the way you want to live. You are given chance to live it only once.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    In for more discussion on how some kcal are more caloric than another kcal depending on source and magic.

Nobody said that some calories are “more caloric” depending on source. What’s being said is that some foods will fill you up more based on other macros. Let’s compare:

1.5 oz hershey’s chocolate = 210 calories
    7 cups broccoli = 210 calories

Which will keep you full longer? Which will keep your blood sugar from spiking? Which can I eat more of?

That is the point. Yeah, you can eat 10 hershey’s bar and count that as your 2100 calories for the day. But you’re gonna be hungry as hell. By contrast, if you eat a meal more based in lower-processed foods you can eat more food. I wouldn’t recommend eating either 10 chocolate bars or 70 cups of broccoli in a day as your meal, but it’s easy to see that one of these will fill your stomach longer. That’s not to say you can’t or shouldn’t have a [shock, horror] foods that are fried or contain sugar, et cetera that we traditionally look at as “unhealthy.” But when looking for a healthy side to a meal, as OP says she is doing, brown rice might be a little more helpful to her.

Not everyone is looking for the same thing out of their diet; by all means, fill your diet with the foods you want, that you like, and that make you happy - but also know that other people are looking for other things in their foods.

now you are back tracking.

you said a calorie is a calorie = false..

now you are back tracking into an argument about satiety...

in your example the 210 calories of broccoli is the same as 210 calories of Hershey's or are you saying they are different?

and who the hell is advocating eating 2100 calories day of Hershey's chocolate bars? Every single time we have this discussion someone comes in here with that straw man argument of "well year I could eat 2100 calories a day of chocolate but why would I?" I just want to know who the hell does that or is advocating that...????????????
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    As you can see already, carbs are a ridiculously touchy subject on this site.

No kidding, definitely learned my lesson.

Are you sure you learned?

Learned that carbs are a really touchy topic on this site? Learned to not get involved in discussions like this in the future? Yes, I'm sure.

Smart girl! B)
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Learned that carbs are a really touchy topic on this site? Learned to not get involved in discussions like this in the future? Yes, I'm sure.

I've learned that as well, after being on this site a while. I usually just read for the entertainment value.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »

Nobody said that some calories are “more caloric” depending on source. What’s being said is that some foods will fill you up more based on other macros. Let’s compare:

1.5 oz hershey’s chocolate = 210 calories
    7 cups broccoli = 210 calories

Which will keep you full longer? Which will keep your blood sugar from spiking? Which can I eat more of?

1. Satiety is personal. For example, fiber means just exactly nothing to me when it comes to satiety over hours. Fat, on the other hand, does wonders for me. A fiber-filled stir fry will keep me full for about half an hour. Some cheese is much more effective over time.

2. I promise you that I would regret eating 7 cups of broccoli more than 1.5 ounces of chocolate. Just thinking about it causes some cramping.

As long as one's nutritional needs (micro and macro) are being met, and that person feels satisfied, stop trying to think that huge amounts of vegetables are some sort of miracle. You don't get bonus nutrition points for shoveling kale in your mouth.

this should end this discussion, but it won't...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Aw, I had hope for ya. I guess you didn't. :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi,

I always thought I had way too many carbs in my diet but since logging with my fitness pal I've noticed I'm actually always under on the carbs in the ratio with fat and protein. Obviously I don't just want to eat a huge bowl of pasta to make up for it but could anyone advise as to which carbs are better for you that others, for example I love eating grilled chicken but am I better to have it with Cous Cous or rice?
    Thanks

Sam

carbs are carbs...

Beyond that, you'd need to simply evaluate your day to determine if you're short on some micro-nutrient like fiber or something...but if you look at the nutritional profile of say brown rice vs white rice...it's really not substantially different...it's just that "white" carbs are the latest and greatest of dietary demons. That said, I prefer brown rice as it actually has a taste...
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi,

I always thought I had way too many carbs in my diet but since logging with my fitness pal I've noticed I'm actually always under on the carbs in the ratio with fat and protein. Obviously I don't just want to eat a huge bowl of pasta to make up for it but could anyone advise as to which carbs are better for you that others, for example I love eating grilled chicken but am I better to have it with Cous Cous or rice?
    Thanks

Sam

carbs are carbs...

NO!

Some carbs are chair cushions, and some are weasels.

Or, wait, is that calories?

MAN I get lost in these threads.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eat complex carbs over simple ones more often. They are more satisfying and their energy is absorbed over a longer period of time. Here are some popular dinner sides in order of their relative satiety/fiber/complexity/GI index. The lower the glycemic load, the better. The higher the fiber, the better.

Pasta (Fiber 0, GI 8)
    White Rice (Fiber 1g, GI 22)
    Couscous (Fiber 2g, GI 18)
    Spaghetti Squash (Fiber 2g, GI 2)
    Brown Rice (Fiber 4g, GI 22)
    Yam (Fiber 5g, GI 16)
    Baked Potato (Fiber 7g, GI 29)
    Yellow Corn (Fiber 7g, GI 21)
    Sweet Potato (baked in skin) (Fiber 7g, GI 17)
    Baked Beans (Fiber 10g, GI 19)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    Veggies!!! Always veg! I don't eat any rice, bread, pasta etc but my carbs are always spot on because of how much salads, veg ans fruit I eat :)

In moderation, there's nothing wrong with rice/bread/pasta... lol

+1
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yikes just saw all these replies. Sorry guys, guess I was just channeling my nutrition professor stressing against all the "white" carbs.

Isn't it sad that a nutrition professor is teaching people nonsense.
    +1

• runner475
    Options
    Or small McDonald's french fries

I'll be honest I like French Fries from a local bar more than McD's.
  • runner475
    Options
    Probably brown or wild rice is better than couscous I'd think. Otherwise you can have something like sweet potato, or try to incorporate more fruits into the day.

Couscous = Bad Carbs

Wrong

tumblr_inline_n49p3vEVkT1rv6gzi.gif

Haha. Someone is mad so they flagged the gif. Love it.
    Look, more flags.

To whosoever flagging gifs - Debate. Talk about it. Flagging post is not going to get your message across, it doesn't change anything.