• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Posted twice! oops
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was just gonna say, thought I was going mad then lol.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    The suggestion that cardio does not aid weight loss violates the basic CICO hypothesis. If burning 400 more calories is not equal to eating 400 less, then CICO is wrong. "Weight is lost in the kitchen" and similar nostrums are unhelpful, at best.
    You are correct and I believe what the poster meant was that it is harder to keep weight off over the long run doing just cardio because you rely on cardio to keep your calorie intake in check. It goes back to the classic weight loss plan for most people, go on a diet and do more cardio. We see thousands of people attempt it and fall off the wagon eventually. Now, blaming this on cardio is over simplified and there is a lot more involved because you can succeed with just diet and cardio exercise, in fact you can be very successful with it.

With strength training you don't get to rely on your exercise as a calorie burn because it is so difficult to track how many calories you can eat back for the day. You end up relying on diet for weight loss more than any calorie burn. Again, it does not work for everyone but in my opinion diet it is a better way to learn about your body and how to manage your weight. You can achieve the same goals from cardio/diet but the classic approach doesn't focus on a sustainable diet.

For the OP, I would look at a 3x5 or 5x5 strength program and incorporate into your week. Do as much cardio as you feel comfortable with and when you get to the point where the two exercises become too much then modify one or both to get back into balance.

This is spot on my experience, but that doesn't mean it's true for everyone. However, I believe that I will have much more long term success continuing with heavy lifting than I would with cardio only (I still do some cardio, but limited 1-2/week). Lifting makes me focus on my nutrition, both so I can perform well and to keep my calories in check. Lifting has, without a doubt, boosted my metabolism.

For me, lifting is a more sustainable long-term plan and has helped me learn more about my body and nutrition. Plus I enjoy doing it, so that goes a long way. I like MFP, but I don't want to rely on it long term.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    earlyxer wrote: »
    Many MFPer's are not going to like this.......but.... cardio is a terrible way to try to lose weight. I know it's been drummed into our skulls since we were kids but there's no proof that it works. Let me put it this way: imagine you were from Mars, and suddenly put on earth in human form. Out-of-shape, overweight human form. You walk into a gym and on your left were all the treadmills and ellipticals and on your right were the free weights. You look at all the people walking/running on the treadmills and then at all the people doing presses, deadlifts, and pullups. Which group is in better shape? Which group has less bodyfat and more muscle? Among which group would you want to count yourself as a member?

Try this: Google "marathon runner" and look in images - is that how you want to look, like a skeleton? Because the marathon runner is the epitome of long-duration cardio. I never do cardio and I think the results speak for themselves. I use calorie control to maintain body fat percentages and strength train to create lean mass, and I'm 51.

Whenever I feel the need to burn some calories - I just lift weights faster.

I'm of the same school of thought
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    Many MFPer's are not going to like this.......but.... cardio is a terrible way to try to lose weight. I know it's been drummed into our skulls since we were kids but there's no proof that it works. Let me put it this way: imagine you were from Mars, and suddenly put on earth in human form. Out-of-shape, overweight human form. You walk into a gym and on your left were all the treadmills and ellipticals and on your right were the free weights. You look at all the people walking/running on the treadmills and then at all the people doing presses, deadlifts, and pullups. Which group is in better shape? Which group has less bodyfat and more muscle? Among which group would you want to count yourself as a member?

Try this: Google "marathon runner" and look in images - is that how you want to look, like a skeleton? Because the marathon runner is the epitome of long-duration cardio. I never do cardio and I think the results speak for themselves. I use calorie control to maintain body fat percentages and strength train to create lean mass, and I'm 51.

Try supersets or circuit training. A set up from just lifting faster.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Lifting faster.... raises your heart rate... thus cardio...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    So you're doing all cardio except for 20 minutes a week? 20 minutes a week of strength most likely is of no benefit to you. You might as well skip it.

My advice is to reduce the cardio and replace some of it with more strength training, preferably about 30 minutes 3x per week (or more). And I suggest lifting heavy (for you) using compound lifts with free weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent-over rows, etc. There's no reason for you to be doing isolation lifts like bicep curls at this point.

As for how much cardio is NEEDED - none. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; exercise is for your health. It's ideal to have a good balance of cardio and strength in your workout routine. Cardio keeps your heart and lungs in good shape, and so does strength training, but strength training also helps you retain the muscle you have while you lose weight.

no, not 20 mins per WEEK, I do 30 mins x 3 times a week.

That's not what you put in the original question. You put:

Mon - 200 cals on Stairmaster, 45mins Boxfit
    Tues- Rest
    Wed - 200 cals on Stairmaster, 45 mins Spin
    Thurs - 80ish mins cardio (either Jogging/Spin or a mixture)
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 600 cals cardio (mixture), 20mins weights (biceps, push-ups, lateral, abs 3etc)
    Sun - Rest or 45 mins Spin

Stairmaster is cardio. Boxfit is cardio. Spin is cardio...you put "20mins weights" on Saturday and there's no strength training anywhere else. How do you figure you're doing 30 minutes 3 times per week?

I am @runrutheerun, my quote is the 'no, not 20 mins per WEEK, I do 30 mins x 3 times a week.' NOT THE OP's comment. ok?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Yup muscular endurance is just saying a cardio with my weights. But what I have notice is that you still get the afterburn since you still are tearing the muscle technically.

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

large_09-Boston-19.jpg

i don't understand why she says does a bunch of different kinds of cardio, and you immediately go to the extreme of "marathon runner." OP isn't even close to doing the kind of endurance running that is necessary for marathon training.

and maybe don't insult an entire group like endurance athletes saying that they look like skeletons and that people doing weight lifting are in better shape.

^This.
    Training for a full marathon right now. Most Marathon runners do strength training/toning as well-a stronger body is a faster body.
    Just because they don't have large and extremely defined muscles doesn't mean they're skeletons-the people in this picture are in phenomenal shape!
    Sweeping generalizations are neither fair nor accurate so...have a nice day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    TLB86 wrote: »
    Help and advice on my weekly exercise. How much cardio is REALLY needed?!

My current workout regime is:

Mon - 200 cals on Stairmaster, 45mins Boxfit
    Tues- Rest
    Wed - 200 cals on Stairmaster, 45 mins Spin
    Thurs - 80ish mins cardio (either Jogging/Spin or a mixture)
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 600 cals cardio (mixture), 20mins weights (biceps, push-ups, lateral, abs 3etc)
    Sun - Rest or 45 mins Spin

Would you suggest I need to get more weight training in to burn fat and lose inches?
    Would you suggest this instead of the extra 200 cals I get in (in bold)?
    OR would you think the amount I do is fine?

I am already in a deficit and have alright eating habits.

Thanks in advance o:)

It depends on your goals. A good, well rounded fitness regimen is going to be pretty balanced...personally, I'd recommend doing a full body resistance program 3x weekly and doing 60 minutes of the cardio of your choice on non-lifting days and taking one active rest day.

Really though, it is very helpful to establish independent fitness goals (i.e. goals that go beyond just burning calories and trying to lose weight or whatever) and let those goals dictate what you should be doing.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Looks like I'll being Googling a good weights programme on lunch then.

Is it so bad to workout all muscle groups? Or are there any groups that go together?

I did see a HUGE difference both in weight and in tone when I started to incorporate more strength training and get off the elliptical.
    I started doing Pilates and some more weights...I'm not a fan of lifting because it bores the hell out of me, so I do strength training through other means (Pilates and Pole dance). Both have been effective for me. I've never had ab definition before-do now.
  • sarahlifts
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I the lifting faster is kinds tounge in cheek...no one really means that. lifting gets your heart rate up period. I already do supersets regularly. I don't circuit train bc I I work out in a gym. If I trained at home I would.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I the lifting faster is kinds tounge in cheek...no one really means that. lifting gets your heart rate up period. I already do supersets regularly. I don't circuit train bc I I work out in a gym. If I trained at home I would.

I only work out in the gym and I do circuits. Like yesterday circuit was heavy bench press, heavy OHP, then jump rope (100 skips). I tried with no breaks but with squatting heavy before that there was no chance I could. I did get through two rounds with no break though.

• Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Hello squat rack, I'm ready! :#

I love lunges, squats and deadlifts so I think I'll get along fine! I'm quite strong but had to quit weights back in August due to a shoulder injury. Now it's better I want to build back up but will start at 5-6kg (bumbells) for now. I will get a programme too, I won't just wing it

Now you're trolling! :wink:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Yup muscular endurance is just saying a cardio with my weights. But what I have notice is that you still get the afterburn since you still are tearing the muscle technically.

no dude. muscular endurance is training your muscles to work for longer periods of time. basically you're training your slow twitch muscles. it's doing 10+ reps of a lift. it isn't cardio.
  • sarahlifts
    Options

I only work out in the gym and I do circuits. Like yesterday circuit was heavy bench press, heavy OHP, then jump rope (100 skips). I tried with no breaks but with squatting heavy before that there was no chance I could. I did get through two rounds with no break though.

and when you get up off that bench and move one to jump rope or squat...is someone supposed to respect ur circuit?

I train at 5 am and there are other people there.

I know what a circuit is and how its done. I dont do them bc when I get back to a piece of equipment and someone is using it, now I have to wait...

They do not have to respect my use of 5 pieces of equipment at one time, and I never ever respect a persons circuit. Get a home gym.

I didnt want to explain this to you but you seemed keen on educating me.

• yopeeps025
    Options

no dude. muscular endurance is training your muscles to work for longer periods of time. basically you're training your slow twitch muscles. it's doing 10+ reps of a lift. it isn't cardio.

What about like 20-30 reps in a set. I have done 100 reps in one set.

• MSeel1984
    Options
    Well depending on the gym, there could be a circuit (PF has a couple-abs and general)...and there are people there for weight lifting who jump into the circuit to use some machine that they want-ignoring those who are there to do the full circuit. It's a little annoying.
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    All this is so so useful!! My ultimate goal is to be happy in myself and feel comfortable. I have lost a dress size (took be around a year then a year maintaining) so want to shift another and I'll be just about there.

So the short term goal is to lose fat then long term to enjoy life being slender (always been on the bigger side)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Add more weights! It makes a huge difference from cardio alone, believe me.