Subway Sandwich Calories....be careful

Options
So, I went into my local Subway for a change of my usual soup lunch. There are a few low calorie options, but the listed calories can be deceiving if you are not careful. The Turkey Breast & Ham 6" Sub. is listed on their calorie board (Posted listings are required in nyc) as 280 calories. When I asked which bread that was included in that calorie count, the counter man told me the 280 is only for the meat. It doesnt include any bread or condiments. The picture next to the calories is a full sandwich on bread with lettuce , cheese tomatoes etc. In reality if you have a sandwich on 9 grain bread with just tomato and mustard, it comes out to 500 calories! I usually just have a 160 calorie soup and a piece of fruit for lunch. I will go back to that, but be careful of calorie counts. Lesson learned

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It includes the bread and the veggies, too, and detailed by weird_me2. Perhaps the clerk was attempting to clarify that it's "meat only, no cheese" included in the calorie. But, yes, the bread (the wheat choice) is included in the calorie count.

There's no way whatever paltry amount of lunch slices is on the 6 inch) has 280 calories and weighs 217g w/ 46g carbs (numbers from Subway.com).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you leave the cheese off and only use mustard & veggies it is not too bad. With unsweet tea I try to keep lunches between 400 - 550 calories. You need to leave the chips on the rack too.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Use this https://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/NutritionValues.pdf A guide that was put together to USDA reporting standards and done by people getting paid a lot. And don't use the advice from someone paid min wage to make sandwiches
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Subway = inferior sandwiches.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why are you only eating 160 calories for lunch?
    Was just going to ask this...
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    He has a piece of fruit too. How do you know he doesn't save his calories for a large breakfast or supper or for snacks during the day? His profile shows that he has weight to lose so his daily calorie allowance is limited.
    I know you know how all of this works, I'm just speculating.

ETA: Sounded kind of douchey... My apologies to @ndj1979
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    530roman wrote: »
    He has a piece of fruit too. How do you know he doesn't save his calories for a large breakfast or supper or for snacks during the day? His profile shows that he has weight to lose so his daily calorie allowance is limited.
    I know you know how all of this works, I'm just speculating.

that is why I asked the question ...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

For real. My co-workers would be in danger if I only ate 160 calories for lunch - plus what maybe 100 cals of fruit? 260 - nah I'd be HANGRY by 5:00....
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I just make my own sandwiches using St Joseph's Whole Wheat Pita breads available in the Walmart Deli section. They only have 60 calories and you can load them up with your choice of healthy toppings. My favorites are LEAN ham, a SUPER thin slice of Monterey Jack cheese, boatloads of raw spinach and some Peach Mango salsa.... YUMMY!!!! Mine comes in at right around 200 calories...
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    the last subway I had was a footlong chicken and bacon ranch.... yum yum cost me about 1000 calories... well worth it. I even washed it down with a coke and a cookie
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I just make my own sandwiches using St Joseph's Whole Wheat Pita breads available in the Walmart Deli section. They only have 60 calories and you can load them up with your choice of healthy toppings. My favorites are LEAN ham, a SUPER thin slice of Monterey Jack cheese, boatloads of raw spinach and some Peach Mango salsa.... YUMMY!!!! Mine comes in at right around 200 calories...

oh and where do they have this at subway?

Don't derail. We need to know how Subway is horribly mean.
  • chamuco85
    Options
    Subway food has a ton of salt...
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    you can go on their website and put in everything that you got on your sandwich, including bread, cheese, condiments etc. and it gives you the nutritional value. It won't be exact because people make the sandwiches and sometimes they are light handed and sometimes they are heavy handed. I usually get a foot long on 9 grain wheat, no cheese and a bunch of veggies with light mayo ends up being 640 calories for 2 meals.