Best Calorie burn in the gym for 30min?

Options
Just starting a Biggest Loser Competition at my job and have the opportunity to use the gym on my lunch break. Only have 30 min to get the best/biggest calorie burn possible. I have access to every type of machine, weight, equipment ect.(its a State funded gym). Also going to work out at home after work. (Its an 8 week competition and winner takes home lots of money) Please Advise. THANKS

Replies

• JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Gosh I hate biggest loser competitions they go against everything sensible in terms of weight loss and maintenance

That said interval training is good for cardio fitness

Here http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/5-ways-burn-500-calories-30-minutes

Consider an HRM to track your actual burn

But seriously it's not the speed it's the long term effectiveness of lifestyle changes that matter
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Look into HITT - high intensity interval training or sprints. HITT with kettlebells is pretty good. Typically going to be better than steady state cardio but you will get lots of more expert advice here.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Probably an interval session
    Running machine if you can manage 30 mins of intervals

So you could do Mon, Wed, Fri run interval
    Tue, Thurs weights (heavy low reps)
  • memlady
    memlady Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very good question, I have been wondering the same thing?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    MNSchulz88 wrote: »
    Just starting a Biggest Loser Competition at my job and have the opportunity to use the gym on my lunch break. Only have 30 min to get the best/biggest calorie burn possible. I have access to every type of machine, weight, equipment ect.(its a State funded gym). Also going to work out at home after work. (Its an 8 week competition and winner takes home lots of money) Please Advise. THANKS

Do the big 3! Squats, deads and overhead press.

I'd say wait until you plateau until you start doing hiit cardio
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You'll want to use some sort of cardio exercises for the most calorie burn. Use whatever machine(s) get your heart pumping the best and can help you hold the heart rate up there for the 30 minutes.

I find that the Arc Trainer or Elliptical work best for me. They tend to be easy to maintain a pace that keeps my heart rate where it is supposed to be.

I try to keep my heart rate around the 140-150 mark. That's around 80-85% of my max heart rate. At that heart rate I would burn around 475 Calories in 30 minutes. This is, of course, based on my age, weight, and gender. Yours would be different.

Good Luck!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first thought was HIIT. Fifteen minutes, maximum results.
  • vellablu
    vellablu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    intervals on Jacob's Ladder if your gym has it.
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    got my money on stairmaster or elliptical on med high resistance.... however, if you could row for 30 minutes you'd be burning some serious cals
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell work
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    30 min of burpees. nonstop.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    ^^ what she said..jacob's ladder. the arc trainer is good, too. boxing is great. spin class torches calories! my suggestion is mix it up each time.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    lol Would be the ultimate burn because they'd need to cremate my remains

• MNSchulz88
    Options
    AWESOME advice everyone. Thanks! Except the Burpees non-stop. I do have to go back to work LOL
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not HIIT if you really want to maximise calorie burn, the rest/recovery periods don't burn much.
    You would burn more calories at the highest intensity cardio you can actually maintain for 30 minutes.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    lol Would be the ultimate burn because they'd need to cremate my remains

zeropeoplelikethis.jpg

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    HIIT of what ever form you like. It will burn a ton of cals, and likely up your strength and endurance (Under the idea that you aren't already in great shape).

And when not doing that...try and do more walking and standing than you normally do. I burn under 1 cal a minute sitting, and 2-4 standing and walking (varies on speed, weight, etc)... It may not seem like a lot, but if you stand for 20 minutes of an hour of watching tv you go from burning 60 to 80 cals... so if you watch 5 hrs of tv over the week you went from burning 300 cals to burning 400 cals.
    If you walk an extra 15 minutes each day rather than sitting....well, you go from burning 15 cals to 30-60 cals -- in 5 days that is an extra 150-300 cals.
    Those might not seem like a lot, but over 8 weeks they can be an extra pound or two of fat loss.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Buy lots of biscuits, treats and leave them by the kettle "free to a good home"
    That might help you win
  • MNSchulz88
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Buy lots of biscuits, treats and leave them by the kettle "free to a good home"
    That might help you win

ha ha ha good idea!