I'm "skinny fat" and stuck in a rut

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    After seeing pics, I'd say eat at a slight deficit or maintenance and lift heavy. Again, I'd recommend a beginning full body program with progressive resistance. Strong lifts, starting strength are good choices.

What are you currently doing during your weight training?

I agree...I would say set MFP to .5 pound per week loss ..lift heavy and maybe mix in some cardio to increase burns....

OP - are you currently on a structured lifting program or a homemade one? Do you have access to a gym or do you work out from home?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Jeanmk56 wrote: »
    I've been told cardio is needed to lose weight.

I heard mermaids exist somewhere in the southern pacific too ...
  • stephaniejmnz
    stephaniejmnz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    After seeing pics, I'd say eat at a slight deficit or maintenance and lift heavy. Again, I'd recommend a beginning full body program with progressive resistance. Strong lifts, starting strength are good choices.

I work out with my friend at a gym and we focus on a different area each day. Monday is arm and tricep, Tuesday is quads and calves etc. I used to to HIIT for about 20 minutes in the stair machine but I stopped. Should I pick that back up again a few times a week?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I work out with my friend at a gym and we focus on a different area each day. Monday is arm and tricep, Tuesday is quads and calves etc. I used to to HIIT for about 20 minutes in the stair machine but I stopped. Should I pick that back up again a few times a week?

since you have access to a gym you might want to look into stronglifts or 5x5 by are great beginner programs and will get your introduced to lifting progressively heavier things..

Yes, I would recommend sticking with some HIIT on off lifting days, maybe one or two sessions a week ...and make sure you have one, 100% rest day...
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I agree...I would say set MFP to .5 pound per week loss ..lift heavy and maybe mix in some cardio to increase burns....

OP - are you currently on a structured lifting program or a homemade one? Do you have access to a gym or do you work out from home?

I do have access to the gym, and a few workout plans that I pick and choose workouts from. They're not homemade though.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I do have access to the gym, and a few workout plans that I pick and choose workouts from. They're not homemade though.

since you have access to a gym you might want to look into stronglifts or 5x5 by are great beginner programs and will get your introduced to lifting progressively heavier things..
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree, learn how to lift properly ie compound lifts like heavy squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts pull-ups etc, whilst at maintenance to be safe and strong, then hit a slight deficit for a couple of months. You are probably high 20s body fat, and need to get that down by a few pounds to truly benefit from a bulk, where you know what you're doing lifting wise.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I agree, learn how to lift properly ie compound lifts like heavy squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts pull-ups etc, whilst at maintenance to be safe and strong, then hit a slight deficit for a couple if months. You are probably high 20s body fat, and need to get that down by a few pounds to truly benefit from a bulk, where you mine what you're doing lifting wise.

I think you need to post a vid of hip thrusts so we can all learn better form....:)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I agree, learn how to lift properly ie compound lifts like heavy squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts pull-ups etc, whilst at maintenance to be safe and strong, then hit a slight deficit for a couple if months. You are probably high 20s body fat, and need to get that down by a few pounds to truly benefit from a bulk, where you mine what you're doing lifting wise.

I think you need to post a vid of hip thrusts so we can all learn better form....:)

Easy tiger! ;-)
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the .5 lbs/week suggestions. Would eating for losing 1 or 2 pounds/week be too low of a caloric intake to continue to support building muscle? I'm currently in a similar plan and I'm set for losing 1 pound a week.

To add to the cardio discussion I enjoy my cardio regimen as it supports other fitness goals. When I go higher cardio though I eat back many a high percentage of the calories I burn through healthier options (adding PB to shakes, almond milk instead of water, additional green smoothies, etc).

OP: I suggest stronglifts as well. I started with Stronglifts. It's much easier to get into the routine since it's much more direct and you focus on learning form for 5 workouts and it gives a nice beginner burst at the jump.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm curious about the .5 lbs/week suggestions. Would eating for losing 1 or 2 pounds/week be too low of a caloric intake to continue to support building muscle? I'm currently in a similar plan and I'm set for losing 1 pound a week.

To add to the cardio discussion I enjoy my cardio regimen as it supports other fitness goals. When I go higher cardio though I eat back many a high percentage of the calories I burn through healthier options (adding PB to shakes, almond milk instead of water, additional green smoothies, etc).

OP: I suggest stronglifts as well. I started with Stronglifts. It's much easier to get into the routine since it's much more direct and you focus on learning form for 5 workouts and it gives a nice beginner burst at the jump.

we are suggesting .5 pound week so that OP can retain muscle (not build it) and lose fat at the same time. She probably needs to lose about five or so more pounds before she can bulk...doing it this way will ensure that she maximizes fat loss, and minimizes muscle loss...

is there a type in your post? I don't see how one can lose a pound a week and add muscle at same time...
  • RoyalMoose11
    Options
    No typo but maybe not really clear in my post. I'm on a cut right now to lose some body fat while I'm still lifting. I've reduced my cardio (post marathon training/race) in an effort to dedicate some more time to the gym and a better lifting routine. I'm unsure of my own BF% as I have loose skin from my original weight loss (100 pounds).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    No typo but maybe not really clear in my post. I'm on a cut right now to lose some body fat while I'm still lifting. I've reduced my cardio (post marathon training/race) in an effort to dedicate some more time to the gym and a better lifting routine. I'm unsure of my own BF% as I have loose skin from my original weight loss (100 pounds).

if you are cutting on one pond per week and lifting, then you are going to lose body fat and try to maintain as much muscle as possible; however, some muscle loss is bound to happen.

I assume that you are not a beginner, yes? Because the only scenario that I am aware of where one can build muscle and lose fat is a obese beginner, or just beginner to lifting, where they will get newbie gains....
  • RoyalMoose11
    Options
    I am not a beginner to lifting. This is my first time on a deficit since I lost all of my original weight. I lost my weight and from Jan 1 2014-July 2014 I was on a bulk. I stayed the same waist size throughout and my clothes fit better as I gained muscle. I got a lot of the newbie goodness during that program. I then ate at maintenance while training for a marathon. from July through November. Around mid-December I began eating at a deficit again while maintaining my lifting routine to try to keep building muscle and trim up some BF for some summer goals.

In short, not a beginner to lifting but a beginner of trying to do a bulk/cut routine.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I am not a beginner to lifting. This is my first time on a deficit since I lost all of my original weight. I lost my weight and from Jan 1 2014-July 2014 I was on a bulk. I stayed the same waist size throughout and my clothes fit better as I gained muscle. I got a lot of the newbie goodness during that program. I then ate at maintenance while training for a marathon. from July through November. Around mid-December I began eating at a deficit again while maintaining my lifting routine to try to keep building muscle and trim up some BF for some summer goals.

In short, not a beginner to lifting but a beginner of trying to do a bulk/cut routine.

I am with you man ..I am doing my first bulk right now...been eating about 3100 a day ..I am going to run this until about February first and then start cutting down...so far I have put on about 8 pounds...

Once you cut you want to up protein and lower carbs and keep fats pretty much the same (at least that is my understanding) but when you cut you are basically trying to preserve as much muscle as possible while losing body fat, and then your new muscles will "show"..

there is a great group on here that I belong to .."eat, train, progress" Sarah and sidesteel run it and have a wealth of knowledge and you can post question on there about anything ...
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    what are your current stats = height/weight/age/gender/? Do you know your body fat %? how long have you been working out for? How many calories a day are you consuming?

I'm 20, female, 5'4 and I weigh 117. Last time I checked by body fat % was about 6 months ago and it was at 22%. At that time I weighed about 122 though so I'm sure it's changed.

You sound relatively small already, it might be worth considering bulk and cut cycles in conjunction with your lifting or at least eating at maintenance and focusing on reomposition (that will be a very long process).

Are you doing a progressive lifting routine, or did you design your own lifting program?

ETA: An example of how gaining more weight but as muscle may make you like your body more:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

So I've been getting mixed advice about what I should do exercise-wise. Should I continue working out 4-5 x a week focusing on a different area each day and incorporating HIIT cardio a few times a week while maintaining a small deficit in my diet? Or should I maintain that deficit and start a cardio-intense full body workout? I have this one by a girl called Way of Gray that I've been wanting to try that's an at-home fully body workout, but idk If I should try it
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is what I suggest..

1. set MFP to half pound per week loss.
    2. Pick a structured program - strong lifts, 5x5, etc and stick with it.
    3. Try to mix in some HIIT on off days
    4. make sure you get one, one hundred percent rest day
    5. do this until you get body fat down some more and then you can bulk. I would say cut another 5-10 pounds off...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Cardio should be a minimum for you right now. Heck, you can abandon it altogether, if you'd like. Of course, if you do like it, then keep it, but no more than 50% of your routine.

And a big fat "no" to working a different area each day - at least not arms, then chest, then legs, then back... StrongCurves, StrongLifts, Ice Cream Fitness, All Pro's Beginner routine. Google them and pick one.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    here is what I suggest..

1. set MFP to half pound per week loss.
    2. Pick a structured program - strong lifts, 5x5, etc and stick with it.
    3. Try to mix in some HIIT on off days
    4. make sure you get one, one hundred percent rest day
    5. do this until you get body fat down some more and then you can bulk. I would say cut another 5-10 pounds off...

^This. It's actually been pretty consistent advice given. Pick up heavy weights, put them down again. Strong lifts, starting strength are great programs. Stronglifts is written by an asshat, so there's a great breakdown that I recommend on here over the actual program:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/560459/stronglifts-5x5-summary

You work out with a friend at the gym. You'd probably both benefit from the same program.

Eat a slight deficit (250 calories a day, which should be a loss of about .5lbs a week). You can use cardio to help build that deficit if you enjoy it. Do the type of cardio you prefer (HIIT, elliptical, running, whatever).