Good carbs

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The sugar wrapped in Metamucil will be absorbed slower.
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Adding Quinoa.

Pasta (Fiber 0, GI 8)
    White Rice (Fiber 1g, GI 22)
    Couscous (Fiber 2g, GI 18)
    Spaghetti Squash (Fiber 2g, GI 2)
    Wild Rice (Fiber 3g, GI 16)
    Brown Rice (Fiber 4g, GI 22)
    Quinoa (Fiber 5g, GI 18)
    Yam (Fiber 5g, GI 16)
    Baked Potato (Fiber 7g, GI 29)
    Yellow Corn (Fiber 7g, GI 21)
    Sweet Potato (baked in skin) (Fiber 7g, GI 17)
    Baked Beans (Fiber 10g, GI 19)

This goes to show that the latest fab foods, though they get a lot of press, sit firmly in the middle of the pack as far as fiber and GI goes.

Food is lovely and all food is good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The sugar wrapped in Metamucil will be absorbed slower.

hmmm but according to the sugar is bad crew (not you I assume) added sugar in every form is "bad"...

• ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hi,

I always thought I had way too many carbs in my diet but since logging with my fitness pal I've noticed I'm actually always under on the carbs in the ratio with fat and protein. Obviously I don't just want to eat a huge bowl of pasta to make up for it but could anyone advise as to which carbs are better for you that others, for example I love eating grilled chicken but am I better to have it with Cous Cous or rice?
    Thanks

Sam

I only checked the first page so if no one has said it yet.

Your body has hormonal response to foods including different sources of carbs, a carb from vegetables doesn't have the same hormonal response as to a carb from rice. They have the same caloric value but your body deals with them very differently.

I'm not going to answer any "Whys?" educate yourself and do some research if you aren't already aware of this your probably a IIFYM junky.
    Strong lack of understanding of how IIFYM works.

that poster has a fundamental lack of understanding of many things...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am pretty sure fruit is moved in to the complex range as the simple sugars are wrapped in a fiber sandwich.

Chemically, no, they are simple carbs: it's a distinction between mono and polysaccharides. The problem is that "complex" sounds better, so people want to use that distinction to essentially mean healthy and not or processed and not. Even potato chips are a complex carb, whereas fruit is simple when the term is used correctly.

I'm not hating on complex carbs, I just think they vary a lot in how satisfying they are for me personally, and even based on the GI chart (which like I said is kind of pointless if you eat the foods with other foods which affect the rate of digestion). For example, white bread and whole wheat bread don't differ that much on GI, so if you add some butter and meat to the white bread and eat the whole wheat on its own, the white bread meal is going to digest more slowly.

(I think if you eat lots of bread it does make sense to switch to whole grains to the extent possible, however, all else equal. On the other hand, for fiber, beans (also a complex carb) are typically a lot more superior to whole grain bread than whole grain bread is to white, so if the issue is fiber in your diet overall I think whole grains are overrated. However, lots of people enjoy them and thus should eat them, yum!)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Hey, I'm a type 2 diabetic in remission. I had a hell of a time trying to explain to friends and family that aspartame is my friend while honey was "death on a stick". Natural does not equate to "good for you" in diabetes-world. A small amount of sugar is perfectly fine in my books, especially if it is packaged for gentle absorption.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure fruit is moved in to the complex range as the simple sugars are wrapped in a fiber sandwich.

Chemically, no, they are simple carbs: it's a distinction between mono and polysaccharides. The problem is that "complex" sounds better, so people want to use that distinction to essentially mean healthy and not or processed and not. Even potato chips are a complex carb, whereas fruit is simple when the term is used correctly.

I'm not hating on complex carbs, I just think they vary a lot in how satisfying they are for me personally, and even based on the GI chart (which like I said is kind of pointless if you eat the foods with other foods which affect the rate of digestion). For example, white bread and whole wheat bread don't differ that much on GI, so if you add some butter and meat to the white bread and eat the whole wheat on its own, the white bread meal is going to digest more slowly.

(I think if you eat lots of bread it does make sense to switch to whole grains to the extent possible, however, all else equal. On the other hand, for fiber, beans (also a complex carb) are typically a lot more superior to whole grain bread than whole grain bread is to white, so if the issue is fiber in your diet overall I think whole grains are overrated. However, lots of people enjoy them and thus should eat them, yum!)

dare you say dietary context matters...???
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    From the CDC:
    Simple carbohydrates include sugars found naturally in foods such as fruits, vegetables, milk, and milk products. Simple carbohydrates also include sugars added during food processing and refining. What's the difference? In general, foods with added sugars have fewer nutrients than foods with naturally-occurring sugars.

Note that the difference isn't between the sugars, but the foods as a whole. Presumably if you add sugar to something that IS high in nutrients (as the traditional addition of a bit of sugar to some homemade tomato sauce or my favorite example of adding sugar to some rhubarb sauce, or the fact that smoked salmon usually contains some added sugar, or even the addition of some sugar to flavored yogurt or oatmeal) the sugar doesn't therefore remove the nutrients. No more than the sugar in fruit removes the other good things.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Eat complex carbs over simple ones more often. They are more satisfying and their energy is absorbed over a longer period of time. Here are some popular dinner sides in order of their relative satiety/fiber/complexity/GI index. The lower the glycemic load, the better. The higher the fiber, the better.

Pasta (Fiber 0, GI 8)
    Yam (Fiber 5g, GI 16)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I find this list very suspect, since couscous is pasta - made from the same type of semolina flour as other pasta, so how can it have a different amount of fiber? I suppose the GI could be affected by the precooking that packaged couscous goes through, but if it makes that much difference (18 versus 8), then I would think all the other foods could have equally wild GI swings based on cooking methods and times.

Also, OP, if you've already decided you don't want pasta, your path is clear. Have the rice with your chicken, because couscous is pasta.

There's nothing wrong with pasta, white rice, or white potatoes. Still, I have brown rice when I have the extra time, both because I prefer the taste and because I dare stray from the IIFYM dogma that no food is in any way to be preferred to another for any reason other than whether it fits your macro goals. I try to get as much of my grains in whole grain form as I can (but it helps that in most, but not all, cases I prefer whole grains). I don't understand why people defend tossing out the bran and wheat germ so vociferously while vilifying anyone who considers eating egg whites without the yolks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Why all the hate-on for complex carbs? They take longer to digest in everybody. That's not a personal thing.

I get why so many here are dead-sick of the false dichotomy of "good food" vs "bad food". But complex carbs have a lot to offer.

I totally get what you are saying but simple vs complex doesn't tell the whole story. Potatoes, for example, are a complex carb but are still fast digesting.

I totally do not get why so many here are dead-sick of the terms good food vs bad food, or good carb vs bad carb, or good fat vs bad fat. It is an oversimplification, but often simple is what works best for a general rule.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    need2, perhaps that is why potatoes get a Glycemic load of 29.

lynn, feel free to check my source if you doubt the results. Not all pastas would be the same just as not all breads would be the same. Based on ingredients and preparation, one might end up with more fiber than the other. Egg noodles will have more protein, for instance.

The same list ordered by glycemic load, comes out like this:

Pasta (Fiber 0, GI 8)
    Yam (Fiber 5g, GI 16)

Ordered like this, Spaghetti squash, though low in fiber, glows with angelic goodness.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    need2, perhaps that is why potatoes get a Glycemic load of 29.

lynn, feel free to check my source if you doubt the results. Not all pastas would be the same just as not all breads would be the same. Based on ingredients and preparation, one might end up with more fiber than the other. Egg noodles will have more protein, for instance.

The same list ordered by glycemic load, comes out like this:

Pasta (Fiber 0, GI 8)
    Yam (Fiber 5g, GI 16)

Ordered like this, Spaghetti squash, though low in fiber, glows with angelic goodness.

It just might be angelic. I think it's one of the best foods out there for weight control. I can eat a huge plate for only a handful of calories. And it's very filling. Plus, it's super easy to grow and stores for months.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Why all the hate-on for complex carbs? They take longer to digest in everybody. That's not a personal thing.

I get why so many here are dead-sick of the false dichotomy of "good food" vs "bad food". But complex carbs have a lot to offer.

so if I add sugar to Metamucil does that make it good for bad???? because fiber wrapped...

LMAO!

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your body has hormonal response to foods including different sources of carbs, a carb from vegetables doesn't have the same hormonal response as to a carb from rice. They have the same caloric value but your body deals with them very differently.

Not across the board they do not. A person with greater insulin sensitivity has a much different hormonal response to say, white rice then a person who is insulin resistant.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What are the some kit kats that are tasty?

Green tea are in the mail.
    What about the pudding ones?
    What else is there?

Bananarama.

Red bean.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I love red bean.
  • barby6011
    barby6011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    douggyr wrote: »
    As a diabetic, I have to be concerned about 'good' and 'bad' carbs. Here is a rule of thumb: If the carb is highly processed (such as white rice) then that is a bad carb as it will turn to sugar without giving your pancreas enough time to produce the insilin to convert the sugar to energy. Try to stick with whole grains, nut products (Blue Diamond has a line of crackers made out of almonds and pecans), fruit (a large navel orange as 32 carbs). Let's be realistic: We are going to have a slice of pizza and sometimes some regular pasta. Plan for it. Another good substitue is sweet potatos instead of regular potatos. All of these break down slower thus allowing the insilin to produce and convert the sugar. Also because they have more bulk and nutrients, you are less likely to binge.

• barby6011
    barby6011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you are right on about the good and bad carbs for a diabetic