My body just isn't used to this and it's making me slightly miserable

Options

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Um, so I got flagged for posting a legitimate response? Okay, then, lol.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. I am trying to eat TDEE - 20 % which is 1533 caloric intake daily. For me, that's a lot of food. I'm also not eating out, which would be super easy to get that amount I guess but my goal is not only to lose pounds but eat healthier foods.

So you gained weight.....by eating less than 1533 calories?

Yes. I have an extremely "couch potato" life. Home and work. Last year, I ate like normal and tracked everything just to see about how much I was taking in. Over a 3 month period, I averaged 800-1000 calories a day. BUT, I have been eating like this since I was about 19, so 20 years.

Please explain how you gained weight from stored, unused calories by eating less than what you need to survive in a coma.

If I knew, I wouldn't be having these questions. Lord knows I know how people on these forums are and how hateful and judgemental they can be, but what I have said is the absolute truth. Unless, while I slept, someone force feed me cheesburger and pie. Or I slept at. When I tracked for the 3 months I thought maybe I was mindlessly snacking so I was very observant to log what I ate. I'm a big coffee drinker which always staved off hunger.

• fotofreak01
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm always confused by posts like this. I mean, in order to gain the weight you are trying to lose, you obviously ate well over 538 calories a day. You were likely eating, at the very least, a couple thousand calories a day. I'm sure someone will correct my math, but it likely would have had to exceed 2000 calories and then some. I mean it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound. If you hadn't been eating a substantial amount of calories, you wouldn't have any weight to lose unless you have a medical condition we are not aware of. And now you are struggling to eat over 538 calories? You could hardly finish your plate of food because you were getting too full, and yet you likely ate hundreds of calories in that fast food you picked up before work. Sorry. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, even if you are eating more nutrient dense foods.

she didn't pick anything up from a fast food restaurant. She said that's what she used to do.

I was talking about how she used to eat in that part of my post. My point was, she had to have eaten a substantial amount of calories to gain this weight when she did eat out daily, and now she's struggling to eat over 538? Unless she has a medical condition, she wouldn't gain weight on 800 to 1000 calories.

I worried about the medical thing too so I had a checkup. They drew some blood, ran some tests and told me to work out. Said there was nothing wrong. The logging was at the DR's request. When I went back for followup, she said, "I don't know".
  • jnv7594
    Options
    No one here is being hateful or judgmental. I was asking a legitimate question because posts like this always confuse me. You were likely getting more calories from coffee than you realized, but you simply could not have gained weight on 800 to 1000 calories...science.
  • fotofreak01
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No one here is being hateful or judgmental. I was asking a legitimate question because posts like this always confuse me. You were likely getting more calories from coffee than you realized, but you simply could not have gained weight on 800 to 1000 calories...science.

Oh, I wasn't implying anyone has. Just I know how it can go downhill very fast..lol. Seen it done on just about every post that anyone not an expert has posted for questions or help. Here is a breakdown of my typical 24 hr period when I worked: (when I wasn't trying to lose)
    Wendy's JR bacon CB
    Wendy's med fry
    Wendy's large sweet tea
    3-4 cups coffee
    each cup w/ 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp non dairy creamer
    lots and lots of water ( i love my water)

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Did you actually use a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING when you tracked for 3 months? I just had a look in your diary and most of your entries are in cups, teaspoons and tablespoons, or what appears to be generic servings such as 'one container' of popcorn which can be way off until you actually weigh it.

Have you been to the doctor to rule out medical issues?
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I guess this is overly simplistic, but were you adding anything to your coffee that was high calorie? Maybe you were underestimating your portion sizes?

Anyway, if you want to reduce the volume of food to make your stomach more comfortable, then yes, try denser food. Sadly for most of us, peanut butter adds up super fast, but that might work to your advantage.
  • jnv7594
    Options

Oh, I wasn't implying anyone has. Just I know how it can go downhill very fast..lol. Seen it done on just about every post that anyone not an expert has posted for questions or help. Here is a breakdown of my typical 24 hr period when I worked: (when I wasn't trying to lose)
    Wendy's JR bacon CB
    Wendy's med fry
    Wendy's large sweet tea
    3-4 cups coffee

Well, then I guess your theory that someone was force feeding you in your sleep must be correct since you said your doctor ruled out any medical problems. I'll leave it to the others to help you sort it out, lol.
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    Did you actually use a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING when you tracked for 3 months? I just had a look in your diary and most of your entries are in cups, teaspoons and tablespoons, or what appears to be generic servings such as 'one container' of popcorn which can be way off until you actually weigh it.

Have you been to the doctor to rule out medical issues?

When I tracked for 3 months 99% of that was either fast food or prepackaged but on the off chance that I did cook, I measured w/ cups, spoons and weighed w/ my food scale. When I log something in a generic amount like the popcorn, I look at the calories on the bag and find something within 10 calories of that amount. Sometimes I just can't find that exact brand or amount on MFP. I had a check up last year. Blood work and tests but they said I was good. Fat, but good...lol
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    ckholland3 wrote: »
    I guess this is overly simplistic, but were you adding anything to your coffee that was high calorie? Maybe you were underestimating your portion sizes?

Anyway, if you want to reduce the volume of food to make your stomach more comfortable, then yes, try denser food. Sadly for most of us, peanut butter adds up super fast, but that might work to your advantage.

non dairy creamer and sugar. But I started using an actual measuring spoon. I hadn't, for years, realized that the teaspoon and tablespoons we use to eat with were not accurate when measuring...lol.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. I am trying to eat TDEE - 20 % which is 1533 caloric intake daily. For me, that's a lot of food. I'm also not eating out, which would be super easy to get that amount I guess but my goal is not only to lose pounds but eat healthier foods.

Yes. I have an extremely "couch potato" life. Home and work. Last year, I ate like normal and tracked everything just to see about how much I was taking in. Over a 3 month period, I averaged 800-1000 calories a day. BUT, I have been eating like this since I was about 19, so 20 years.

I'm sorry but you don't gain weight by eating this minimal amount of calories.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    This is my test: "Could I eat a Snickers right now?"

If the answer is "yes," I know that it's the quality of food, not the quantity. A "healthy" salad might just not appeal if that's not what you're used to eating. I'm not saying you're not; only you know that. :)

Hope you get this figured out!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Wendy's JR bacon CB
    Wendy's med fry
    Wendy's large sweet tea
    3-4 cups coffee

That's about 1200 calories on its own. There's no way.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Please explain how you gained weight from stored, unused calories by eating less than what you need to survive in a coma.

If I knew, I wouldn't be having these questions. Lord knows I know how people on these forums are and how hateful and judgemental they can be, but what I have said is the absolute truth. Unless, while I slept, someone force feed me cheesburger and pie. Or I slept at. When I tracked for the 3 months I thought maybe I was mindlessly snacking so I was very observant to log what I ate. I'm a big coffee drinker which always staved off hunger.

You're claiming you violated scientific principles, then wonder why people question it?

Do you drink your coffee black? How many soft drinks per day?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    In the past, I decided to cut out in-between meal snacks. I had my usual size of meals, which added up to maybe 800-1000 calories per day. I wasn't used to eating very much food at one time, but over time my appetite and eating habits caught up with each other. You might need to add in a couple of snacks that you eat during breaks at work.

As for how you could be fat on so few calories, I would bet there are calories you weren't counting. Bites, tastes, swallows, things you added to your coffee, inaccurate calorie references; something. I've researched this a lot, and studies show that when researchers know exactly how many calories people are getting, virtually everybody loses weight on 1400 calories per day. The exceptions are extremely rare and easily explained by lab studies (thyroid disease, for example).
  • fotofreak01
    Options

You're claiming you violated scientific principles, then wonder why people question it?

Do you drink your coffee black? How many soft drinks per day?

I never wondered why people question. They are people. It's pretty much what we do.

I take non dairy creamer and sugar in my coffee, which I always account for. I haven't had a soda in about 10 years.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    OP- you're saying you only ate that one meal per day right? The Wendys?
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A few things might help. when I was a regular coffee drinker I could easily fill up on that and nothing else. Try reducing the amount of coffee you drink by half or even doing without it altogether. Coffee will often give you the illusion of fullness.

You can even cut your salmon down to 3 ounces instead of 5. Are you able to exercise at all? Even just a brisk 30 minute walk?

I gained in part not from eating unhealthy but eating irregularly. The body gets confused and as a result holds onto every single calorie. Also make sure you are logging all your seasonings. too much sodium will hinder weight loss like crazy.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    High calorie dense foods .. that is what you need to do if you are having problems eating enough calories. But 1500 is not much .. so I doubt it is really a big issue. I think your issue is mental and not really the food. I did 2882 today, with no junk. You do not have to eat **** to get your calories up there. It is not bad if you fill your day with calorie dense food. Google is your friend .. there is a great list of the highest calorie foods .. should be easy to find with a quick search.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Congratz on being magic. I'll bet you'll get accepted into Hogwarts this year.